• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Re: Favorite books about the Dead

#60979 3 years, 1 month ago
ShakedownSteve wrote:
I'm currently reading Living With The Dead by Rock Scully. It's supposed to be one of the more lurid books out there, lots of stuff about his and Jerry's use/abuse of the Persian. That's actually why I bought it, to get the real dirt on Garcia's addiction. However since Rock did get fired by the band I realize he has an axe to grind, so I take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt.

According to David Gans, Not only was he very bitter in that book, they SAY it is filled with factual "liberties". I believe you are correct to take what that book says with a grain of salt.

For me, it's the official book of deadheads and Playing in the band. This is the next one I want to read...

hbdaylight.jpg

No one spent more time with Jerry Garcia than roadie Steve Parish. Parish waited till Jerry was long gone to finally put his thoughts together in a respectful way, but with plenty of inside stories to keep us entertained. Look for a movie based on Parish’s book soon.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#60991 3 years, 1 month ago
I really enjoyed Steve Parish's book "Home Before Daylight". It is a very intimate look at Jerry's life on the road. It has an especially honest view of Jerry's disease of addiction, and how Jerry failed to develop any healthly coping skills to deal with the stress of so many people being dependent on GD touring money. At the same time, it shows how hard Jerry worked and how generous he was as a person. Highly recommended.
Without love day to day insanity's king
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#61218 3 years, 1 month ago
Garcia: A Signpost to New Space
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
otherone78
Junior Boarder
first Furthur show: 2/19/10

#61254 3 years, 1 month ago
The illustrated Trip with all the dates, timeline, amazing photos and facts is a book Im always using as a guide on my long strange trip. Amazing work.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#61390 3 years, 1 month ago
The problem I see with Rock Scully's work starts at about when he casually remarks how, being busy busy busy, he ends up on a plane to london with an eagle's claw, a sheet of acid, among other things. And plays it off like it was just an oversight. He was looking to sell those things and he got busted.

And his handling of the way he was fired just screamed that there was way too much info he was glossing over... like embezzlement. After that, it was amusing, probably spot on that the JGB weekend shows were paid in cash and the suitcase was handed to him and he handed it to their drug dealer. But beyond that, questionable.
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds