• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

What DON'T you want to hear?

#60603 3 years ago
Everyone has songs they don't like or songs they've heard too many times. For me it's an emotional response I want to avoid. I can't listen to China Doll without crying. It's such a sad song, and my brother committed suicide so that's a touchy subject for me. I don't know what I would do if I was at a Furthur show and they played it. I'd be a wreck. I started weeping when they played Comes A Time at UCF, but that wasn't out of sadness. It was just an emotionally moving experience. And that's something that never happened to me at a Dead show, which only goes to show how far Furthur can take you.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
St.Stephenhead
Gold Boarder
Empty bottles that can't be filled

Re: What DON'T you want to hear?

#60607 3 years ago
Sorry to hear that man, ive had a friend take that same path in life, but at this point in the Boys career ill take whatever they play anyday. Some threads and posts i read people saying that they dont know if they could do another show cause the last one wore them out. Think about how tired Bob and Phil have to be. Bobby couldnt stay out late with the boys back in the early days because he had school. Thats so loooong ago. Its emotional for all of us in some way or another too, just have to keep that touch of grey in mind. Any song can bring you to tears.. I know they didnt go out of there way to play anything unpeculiar at All Good cause it kicked the tour off but when they played Terrapin and Truckin' some of the most common songs ever it brought me to tears as well brother. It was kool tho its like they played truckin for all the folks who traveled their ass off to get to Marvins Mountaintop then followed that with Speedway Boogie for all the hometown heads on the Mountain. Try to go into a show with a clear mind and focus only on the music. It helps : D
Time there was and plenty, but from that cup no more
The following user(s) said Thank You: ShakedownSteve
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#60612 3 years ago
There's one song that is emotional to me and it's row Jimmy. When my dad was at the hospital and he was real sick I played for him a lot to myself. No that he's gone when I hear it's ok, it gives me a little tim to reflect on him. In fact I played yesterday cause it was his birthday. So many roads is very emotional also it seems to be my song when thing are up or down. Both song though I love to hear live. I hope though my next show they don't play uncle johns band play in the band let grow or love light. It seems they play it every show I go to.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#60619 3 years ago
One song that comes to mind is Standing on the Moon. It's a great song....but every time I hear it live in that moment I just stop and think about the people missing from my life and wish they will still here on this earth with me me today....

Standing on the moon,
But I'd rather be with you.....
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
Last Edit: 3 years ago by FurthurFlower67.
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#60624 3 years ago
staying away from the sad song, because there are many out there that make me misty eyed and I enjoy the fact that those songs allow me to release some of those emotions. But one song I've never really cared for is Days Between.
The voices tell me what to say
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#60630 3 years ago
There are so many emotional songs, and i thought I might "lose it" to Comes a time or Black Throated Wind if I hear them live again. I can get choked up when I hear these ...especially if the "mood is right" (meaning if I am in a bad mood or as Barlow wrote when I get in a fund where I am "drowning in you (her in my case)).

But I was put to the test last tour with both Comes a Time and BTW, and I found (as I have always found) when I am dancing around with my brothers and sisters I feel pretty good when they play these; I don't fall apart. Rather I enjoy the music and don't think about the lyrics too much. I just let the beat move me.

I suppose if I was really hurting and the "wounds" were more current, I could have easily became a blubbering mess. But thankfully I've forced myself to feel that pain, and deal with it in my own way, away from a furthur show, so when I heard the song it was not covering new ground.

I did put myself in a funk at a DSO show this spring when I really HEARD the line "you ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know". It was an instant flow of pent up emotion, I went from care free to "holy shit, this song is deep". It was literally like someone punched me in the balls. But i didn't lose it, in a way it was a tool for me as it caused me to really reflect upon my personal situation at home rather than living in denial (which is very easy to do). In that instance I was fine at the show but I became obsessed afterwords, I had to know what Barlow meant by the song.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~all that I want to know, how does the song go?
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#60632 3 years ago
I'll also add that I really don't understand the meaning behind a lot of the songs. I would almost lose it to "He's gone, first I would think of Pigpen, but the loss of Brent was harder for me 'cause I used to see him perform...I never saw Pig or Keith live.

Then after Jerry passed the song would tear me up.

Then I learned about a week or two ago that the song was really about Mickey father stealing $ from the band and being a real dick. I think it's kind of funny in a way, how a song that I thought was so sad was really about what a piece of crap Mickeys dad was.

When I hear the song now I still get a little emotional...my brain is now wired where it reminds me of Jerry.... but it's become less emotional now that I realize what Robert Hunter really meant.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#60634 3 years ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
Then I learned about a week or two ago that the song was really about Mickey father stealing $ from the band and being a real dick. I think it's kind of funny in a way, how a song that I thought was so sad was really about what a piece of crap Mickeys dad was.

A few times they dedicated He's Gone to someone who recently passed away. I know they did it for IRA hunger striker Bobby Sands and I think Bob Marley too.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#60639 3 years ago
Magnolia Mountain has done nothing for me as well as Days Between.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds