• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

Re: Did/do your parents not approve?

#60422 3 years, 1 month ago
DangerousDan wrote:
BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY FURTHUR at Rosemont in CHi. Just recentyl we talked about me hittn that madison show which would be a 2 1/2 hr drive which they gave great thought to it.

If you can make it to the Murat I highly recommend it. It's not far from Chicago. I saw Phish there in '94 and it's an amazing place for a show.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

#60428 3 years, 1 month ago
HeavyMetalHippie wrote:
My parents certainly would not let me tour. I'm only a senior in high school, but go to many concerts for someone my age (about a concert a month but not limited to Grateful Dead-related groups). They've been furious at me lately because there have been a couple incidents where it's been revealed to them by either one of my idiot friends or by people telling my brothers and my brothers telling my mom that I smoke pot. They've threatened to kick me out of the house, they're not letting me go to any concerts that I even have tickets to (Primus, Gov't Mule, and Furthur just to name a few), are taking away my drum set, and not letting me be in a band anymore. They claim that I'm going down the wrong path, and it is impossible for me to convince them otherwise. In school I have a 90 average, and am in three advanced placement classes, never got in trouble with the law, work two jobs, and everyone that meets me tells my parents what a nice young man I am. They also are taking away my computer, took my cell phone (which will only be a problem for them when they can't reach me), and won't even let me be in a car with a non-adult, and are randomly drug testing me.

So yeah, I'd say my parents don't/wouldn't approve.

You sound like a great kid. The best part is it sounds like you will be off to college next year, and free to do what you want. It may seem like a really long time but it's not.

And your lucky, you could of had my mom who was always searching my room to pinch my bag.
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#60429 3 years, 1 month ago
deadontherivet wrote:
And your lucky, you could of had my mom who was always searching my room to pinch my bag.

LMAO!!!
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
otherone78
Junior Boarder
first Furthur show: 2/19/10

#60450 3 years, 1 month ago
My parents came of age in the late 60s, so yeah, they dont care either way.
danieldeadhead
Fresh Boarder

#60463 3 years, 1 month ago
im from louisiana and my parents are deep south bible belt republicans they used to not aprove but when they kicked me out for some seeds i had germinatin i started hitched out to san fransisco caught the new years eve show got hooked. i was already major head had like hundreds of bootleg shows and dixx pixx but i didnt know furhtur was even existing and i find out phil and bobby have a band and they play dead shit. hell yeah. so i got hooked on it. but yea my rents have more accepted it but i know they dont aprove my parents hate jerry but they learned not to talk negatively around him b/c then ill just say some real sacreligious stuff and make it even. they just cant understand how id rather do nothing but follow them around and they remind me that phil and bobby wont be alive for ever and what am i gonna do then. i said first dont remind me. a second im just gonna be another lost dead head on haight st.
aint no show like a grateful dead show
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#60996 3 years, 1 month ago
My parents were indifferent to it. They got divorced in 12/80. As long as I had fun, + stayed out of trouble I had their blessings.

PS ..My mother told me several years ago, she wanted "Ripple" played at her wake.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#61048 3 years, 1 month ago
danieldeadhead wrote:
im from louisiana and my parents are deep south bible belt republicans they used to not aprove but when they kicked me out for some seeds i had germinatin i started hitched out to san fransisco caught the new years eve show got hooked. i was already major head had like hundreds of bootleg shows and dixx pixx but i didnt know furhtur was even existing and i find out phil and bobby have a band and they play dead shit. hell yeah. so i got hooked on it. but yea my rents have more accepted it but i know they dont aprove my parents hate jerry but they learned not to talk negatively around him b/c then ill just say some real sacreligious stuff and make it even. they just cant understand how id rather do nothing but follow them around and they remind me that phil and bobby wont be alive for ever and what am i gonna do then. i said first dont remind me. a second im just gonna be another lost dead head on haight st.

I just don't get throwing out your own flesh and blood over some seeds, or for anything for that matter. Unless of course you were 50 years old and still living at home
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#61063 3 years, 1 month ago
My folks are ok with it, but they don't really know what's going on. They know I smoke 420 and they don't like it, but gosh I'm 48 years old. My father actually keeps suggesting I get a prescription for some stuff he enjoys...to calm you down (like valium I think). I decline, I enjoy smoking my meds (except for the last batch...killer indica ...makes me sooo tired...miss that sativa ). I know he used to smoke, not sure if he still does.

My parents constantly ask me..."how can you see them for 10 shows in MSG or .....how can you spend a week on the road seeing the same band". That they cannot understand no matter how many times I explain that I do not want to miss that magical show. As they say on the NY Lotto commercials, you gotta be in it to win it.

My wife hates that I go to so many shows. If she had her way she'd "let" me see them about once or twice a year - when they come to Jones beach - right by my house. But I need to go and I've been putting my foot down lately. I work damn hard and I try to lead a calm family life with my daughter. But I need the shows to allow me to blow off steam. Depending on the year I usually see anywhere from 10 to 30 shows a year...

~Too much of anything is just enough....
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds