• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
HeavyMetalHippie
Fresh Boarder

Re: Did/do your parents not approve?

#60314 3 years, 1 month ago
My parents certainly would not let me tour. I'm only a senior in high school, but go to many concerts for someone my age (about a concert a month but not limited to Grateful Dead-related groups). They've been furious at me lately because there have been a couple incidents where it's been revealed to them by either one of my idiot friends or by people telling my brothers and my brothers telling my mom that I smoke pot. They've threatened to kick me out of the house, they're not letting me go to any concerts that I even have tickets to (Primus, Gov't Mule, and Furthur just to name a few), are taking away my drum set, and not letting me be in a band anymore. They claim that I'm going down the wrong path, and it is impossible for me to convince them otherwise. In school I have a 90 average, and am in three advanced placement classes, never got in trouble with the law, work two jobs, and everyone that meets me tells my parents what a nice young man I am. They also are taking away my computer, took my cell phone (which will only be a problem for them when they can't reach me), and won't even let me be in a car with a non-adult, and are randomly drug testing me.

So yeah, I'd say my parents don't/wouldn't approve.
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#60318 3 years, 1 month ago
I remember seeing a video from The Grateful Dead Movie (US Blues) on MTV one night - early 80s? Anyway, my mom saw the part where Uncle Sam is riding the motorcycle and she says you don't need to be watching that, that looks evil.
Well, that's all I needed. Thanks, mom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: doin_that_rag
BigBabyViper
Junior Boarder

#60324 3 years, 1 month ago
well lets see i mean from the start of my interest in the dead and the scene around it my mom was never upset about the actual music or traveling for shows once i was 17 or 18 but i def always had to keep grades up and such. now once i came home and mom found a bag of party favors of a few varieties she wasnt very happy. now herb was kinda just tolerated and somewhat ignored plus my dad partook in that side of things so he was always on my team lol. but that bag of party favors made my mother seriously cry but after i moved to college at 18 i was on my own and the parents just wanted to know i was safe and happy so that was nice
It never got weird enough for me -Hunter S.
Kind_Head
Junior Boarder

#60327 3 years, 1 month ago
My Moms older brother tours with STS9, and is an LSD enthusiast. So having the crazy uncle around makes me look good most of the time. I have always been good at balancing my life outside of music and tours. My mom has always understood I think for the most part. She will comment here and there how she cant believes I spend so much money and travel so far for music. But I would always rather have the experience under my belt than some spare change in the bank.
In the end theres just a song.. Its cryin' down the wind!
DancingBear
Senior Boarder

#60333 3 years, 1 month ago
HeavyMetalHippie wrote:
My parents certainly would not let me tour. I'm only a senior in high school, but go to many concerts for someone my age (about a concert a month but not limited to Grateful Dead-related groups). They've been furious at me lately because there have been a couple incidents where it's been revealed to them by either one of my idiot friends or by people telling my brothers and my brothers telling my mom that I smoke pot. They've threatened to kick me out of the house, they're not letting me go to any concerts that I even have tickets to (Primus, Gov't Mule, and Furthur just to name a few), are taking away my drum set, and not letting me be in a band anymore. They claim that I'm going down the wrong path, and it is impossible for me to convince them otherwise. In school I have a 90 average, and am in three advanced placement classes, never got in trouble with the law, work two jobs, and everyone that meets me tells my parents what a nice young man I am. They also are taking away my computer, took my cell phone (which will only be a problem for them when they can't reach me), and won't even let me be in a car with a non-adult, and are randomly drug testing me.

I can tell you that one of these days you'll look back and laugh, hopefully your rents will do the same.
Can't talk to you without talkin' to me. Were guilty of the same ol' things.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#60335 3 years, 1 month ago
HeavyMetalHippie wrote:

But at least you know they love you and care about you.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
The following user(s) said Thank You: DancingBear
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#60336 3 years, 1 month ago
HeavyMetalHippie wrote:

tell em i f i pass the drug tests i should get all my stuffback
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: DancingBear
Chris1126
Junior Boarder

#60376 3 years, 1 month ago
my parents went with me this summer....they were on the bus b4 I was even a thought!
"Talking a lot about less and less;
And forgetting the love we bring."
skidoo
Gold Boarder
skidoo, skidoo.....ski-doo doo doodlie doo doo doo

#60401 3 years, 1 month ago
My Dad "He's gonna go to that thing, get all hopped on the goof.....end up like Gene Krupa, all because of one lousy reefer"

later it was like "ya know I tried that stuff, went to see Johnny Hodges at the Colonial Tavern, the place with the rotating bar? we got bent out of shape, drivin' home in that old Pontiac with no rear suspension at 10 miles an hour"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris1126
DangerousDan
Senior Boarder

#60420 3 years, 1 month ago
WOW lots of grate stories. Well im turning 18 next week so im near and almost out of the phase most these stories are centered on. My parents are very laid back about shows, they do get worried for my safety quite a bit when i head to the city (understandable). my DAD took me to my first show in 09 it was Allmans/Widespread panic and wow one hell of a time he didnt say too much about everyone smoking but at first glance was curious about the dreadies in the crowd. SInce then ive seen Phish a few times 2 furthur shows at UIC 5 WSP shows and now waiting to see WSP for 3nights end of october and yonder in Nov. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY FURTHUR at Rosemont in CHi. Just recentyl we talked about me hittn that madison show which would be a 2 1/2 hr drive which they gave great thought to it... so me and my buddy decided to just hit a few festies after graduation instead. To conclude my life touring is just about to take off when i move to Colorado next year cheer- Dan
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds