• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

Re: Did/do your parents not approve?

#60237 3 years, 1 month ago
In July of 1978 I told my mom we were going to see the GD in KC and she said no you are not. It wasn't that she didn't approve of the GD, she let me go to see Englishtown NJ 9-3-77, it was that she felt driving from Bennington, VT to Kansas City was unaceptable. I told her I was going anyway and she said I would have to move out of the house, so I said fine. We drove the 28 hours out there and had a great show and drove back no problem. when I got back my mom backed off her threat to move out saying she was just worried about us. She was right to be worried because we partied like rock stars, nearly got arrested and our car was a 1964 Ford Rambler that didn't have reverse. RIP Mom I love you but I'm glad I did the show!
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#60240 3 years, 1 month ago
I don't know that my parents approved but they pretty much kept it to themselves. I always went to a lot of concerts so they probably just saw the Dead as one more band. When I was a teenager, my father and I had a VERY rocky relationship so I think, as time went on and my mom faced an off-and-on battle with cancer, they were glad I was still in their lives. Even if I did have hair half way down my back.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#60244 3 years, 1 month ago
Such precious stories...I love this thread...carry on:)
FaceOnMars
Junior Boarder
Listen To The Flower People

#60246 3 years, 1 month ago
Both of my parents aren't even remotely into the scene, but are happy to see me do what makes me happy.

Without going into the plot and what not, I just saw "The Music Never Stopped" ... which in part addresses this topic in a moving way.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#60252 3 years, 1 month ago
My parents were both conservative Lutheran ministers' kids, so they didn't like it one little bit, not the name, the hippie and drug associations, the travel (with guys, gasp!), none of it. Luckily, I didn't go to a show until I was in college, so they couldn't really stop me, but they never understood. I tried playing American Beauty for them once, and I think they were relieved that it didn't sound like satanic chanting or screaming metal, but they still didn't warm up to it at all. Bless their hearts! : )
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#60263 3 years, 1 month ago
PMoondancer wrote:
Such precious stories...I love this thread...carry on:)

agreed, i am loving this thread!
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#60265 3 years, 1 month ago
My father was a doctor with a passion for exploring realms outside of the conventions of his deep south upbringing.

We moved to California in the early 70s. I remember a great record collection. He would play records all the time when at home. Some GD, New Riders, etc. I remember seeing alot of heads visit; however, my mother was of a stern nature and discouraged these associations.

We moved to SC to be closer to my mom's people. We had what looked like a great life. Plenty of money, huge house, great school. But behind closed doors were nightmarish realities. I found solace in books and music. A friend in middle school gave me a copy of American Beauty. I listened to it over and over. I read what I could of Hunter's lyrics. I started taking off secretly to see shows in NC/ Virginia telling my parents that I was having sleepovers with girlfriends. ( well I was, with overnight trips to a different state) they might have known though, as I was locked in the house the night of the GD show in my town, Columbia, SC.

In college, there was a bit more freedom. The touring Experience expanded for me. I was close to a group of beautiful heads from Greenville SC that toured coast to coast.

Soon I found myself on the bus full time....

(to be continued)
Chester
More or less in line

#60267 3 years, 1 month ago
My dad was oblivious to it. My mom was way cooler. When Jerry passed, she called me up to give me her condolences.
I'm pretty sure she didn't understand why I had to see them so much, but she accepted it.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#60282 3 years, 1 month ago
It was sept 1981. I was almost 15. I was full of piss and vinegar and hanging with a crew older than myself. Decided we were going to hit the show. My parents were from the fifties, not hippies, the elvis fifties, and generally didn't have a clue about the goings on of the late seventies and early eighties. But one thing they did know about was The grateful dead, cuz everytime they came to town eyewitness news had a field day. Well I told them I was going and they said no your not, be home by 10 pm OR ELSE. Well I went to the show, did some liquid acid, smoked a shipload of drugs, and showed up at 2 am thinking I would just slip in. I was tripping balls and they were awaiting my arrival lol! I walked in and the lights snap on, my mother comes running up to me, grabs me, looks me over and proclaims, "Larry Larry hes on drugs just like they showed on the news". I just stood there saying,"what are you talking about?" I wish I could watch some video of that today! They left me alone after that and I was out the door 2 days after graduation. So I never worried about what my parents thought after that. They didn't approve then, but my mother doesn't seem to care about what im doing now lol. She says go for it, you only live once.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#60308 3 years, 1 month ago
when i graduated high school in 85 i got tour tickets spac,hersery,merriweather,pittsburg and some spending money as a graduation present.mom knew iloved the band and i begged to go with my friends.we piled into a chevy nova and off we went what great time lttle did she know that turned me from fan into hardcore head whowould seee as many shows as i could and when i showed up late to college because i was at red rocks she couldnt understand my devotion to the band
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds