• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

Did/do your parents not approve?

#60143 2 years, 7 months ago
Back in the day I had to hide my touring from my parents as best I could. The first time I mail ordered was in the summer of '93. I was in college living in a fraternity house and I didn't want the tickets mailed there because I was afraid someone might steal them when the mail arrived, so I had them sent to my parent's address. When my mom called to tell me I had received some mail, I excitedly told her to open it and tell me what was inside. Big mistake. "Aren't you supposed to be taking summer school? Is this how you spend your money?" Blah blah blah. I ended up having to drop my summer classes, which I never told my parents about. Later that year I went to some Jerry Band shows in Virginia and stayed with a cousin in Richmond. I'm sure I told her that I didn't want my parents to find out, but she told another cousin who in turn told my sister-in-law (who can't keep a secret) and I got another lecture. When I flew out to Oakland in '94 I wasn't in school anymore, but my parents thought I was just wasting a lot of money. Even today I'm reluctant to tell them when I go to shows. When I went to the St. Augustine show I left my dog with them for the day. It's a four hour drive from where I live, and they asked who I was going to see. Rather than say Furthur, which would mean nothing to them, I told them some guys from the Grateful Dead. They just rolled their eyes. I'm sure they were thinking "you still do that shit?" To quote the Fresh Prince, parents just don't understand.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: Did/do your parents not approve?

#60151 2 years, 7 months ago
my love for the live experience didn't begin until about 10 years ago (i'm 24 now)...went to a few phil lesh and other ones shows, locally..loved it, never really gave any thought to the concept of touring, it wasn't even an idea for me at the time.. i started going to more and more shows, and for those, i was starting to travel outside of buffalo, outside of WNY, outside the state, eventually to full blown coast to coast...when the number started increasing my parents were kind of wondering if i was really going to see the same band so often...they didn't really get it...when i was still new, my parents would pay for my concert tickets, but as soon as their credit card bills came in 3-5 times larger with ticket charges i was cut off...i started working my ass off (while in high school) to be able to go to shows, and even in college..my mother would just kind of put up a stink when i'd t ake off, but get over it in minutes...my father seemed like "jesus what is wrong with my son"..when i wasn't going to shows, i was playing my bass, lots of grateful dead stuff..between that and collecting things on tour, my parents while i was in college began to realize that this was something i really enjoyed, it was my lifestyle...it eventually eased up and got to a point where i'd go to tlak to my parents and the first thing out of their mouth was "so where ya headed this time?" or "should i schedule an oil change and inspection for the car?"

i know, long story, but you kind of need to know the background to understand the present situation...my parents are just happy to see me happy, and if going to a bunch of concerts is what makes me happy, they aren't going to knack it...do they think i should settle down get my masters and all that real world stuff? yes, they do...but they respect me and value my judgment to know that i will work on other areas of my life when i need to/am ready to
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
MsJimp
Expert Boarder
I take pictures

#60153 2 years, 7 months ago
Never had that problem. My parents took me as a baby. The teenage arguments were monumental because I wanted to go on my own and not with my parents. When I named my daughter Cassidy Delilah first thing my mom said is "that works" lol.
Please tell Governor Christie of NJ to open the records
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, DancingBear
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#60171 2 years, 7 months ago
Back when I was a lot younger 8 or 9, my dad and I were taking one our regular Sunday drives.... I'll never forget this...he told me that he can see me running off following some band when I get older.. Man was he right lol

My parents definitely approve. My dad has been to a few Grateful Dead shows in the 80's when he lived in New York, but my mom isn't s fan. But I do have my mom to thank for going on my first dead trip. My first outta town dead show was 2009 when the Dead played Chicago. Her friend at work had extra tickets and she got them for me. One of the best things ever! I was so happy. And that's when all the trips started

They worry about me when I do go on the trips but know I have a good head on my shoulders and they just want me to have fun and no trouble! I'm the deadhead of the family. They've accepted it! They are just glad that I found something that makes me happy. Although they do wish I would give them a grandchild or two...haha but no time for that I still need to enjoy my freedom!!! But I'm glad they understand my love for the music! But then again they are pretty laid back parents.
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#60190 2 years, 7 months ago
My parents approved most of the time. I started in high school and my step brother was a head also so my parents trusted us toghether. They didnt want me going on a school night though. I remember I missed a few good ones cause it was school night. It was so fun to cut school and go to Oakland and go to the lot. I remember coming home one night and it was after a show and my parents will still awake. I was still way messed up of some acid. They start talking to me and imediatelly I grab my cat and just put her to my face kinda hiding my face from them. Then I got to my room as fast as I can and put the lava lamp on and a bootleg and giggled all night. Then I got in trouble one time and they would not let me go to a jgb show, I begged. Finally my favorite person in the world, my aunt, she got them to let me go with her.
My parents get it and I love them for that. My dad took me to haight when Jerry died, I cried and he rubbed my head and was there for me. He bought two framed stanly mouse posters and it was the shows I went to.
I guess if my kids were going to raves or places there was drugs I would have a hard time excepting it.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#60195 2 years, 7 months ago
my dad isn't the biggest fan but he likes the music, certain songs particularly (but he wouldn't play any on his own) and he definitly enjoys the shows but my mom likes the music a lot more and goes to shows with us when she can and there close enough. If its real close the whole family goes. my 17 year old brother is more into rap and stuff but he still likes the shows. They understand.
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

#60196 2 years, 7 months ago
My parents were ecstatic when I got into the dead and started touring. They were both hippies, and as a teen I was a skate punk. I would listen to Black Flag, The Circle Jerks, and the band name they despised the most The Dead Kennedy's. I still remember lectures from my dad on how offensive the name was. He had no clue that they were ultra liberal, which he would of loved.

The first time I came home wearing a Dead shirt may of been one
of the proudest moments of his life. Nothing but Smile, Smile, Smile.
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
DancingBear
Senior Boarder

#60220 2 years, 7 months ago
deadontherivet wrote:
My parents were ecstatic when I got into the dead and started touring. They were both hippies, and as a teen I was a skate punk. I would listen to Black Flag, The Circle Jerks, and the band name they despised the most The Dead Kennedy's. I still remember lectures from my dad on how offensive the name was. He had no clue that they were ultra liberal, which he would of loved.

The first time I came home wearing a Dead shirt may of been one
of the proudest moments of his life. Nothing but Smile, Smile, Smile.

That is soooo hysterical when you think that soo many parents get hung up on the name Grateful Dead and thats where the parents stop and draw their conclusion without exploring any more and then the kid grows up and gets hung up on the name Dead Kennedys without looking into it more. Us humans always get hung up on the outside appearance.
Can't talk to you without talkin' to me. Were guilty of the same ol' things.
DeadHead420
Platinum Boarder
More negative karma please =-)

#60223 2 years, 7 months ago
Not in the least bit. My parents have always been deadheads, and me madre enjoys the Furthur that ive played around her, and is also comin up wit me to eugene to drive the car back. My pops lives in Montana, and wants to go see the show there wit me, but i didnt call him back. Last time i saw him he got in to a hit n run on the freeway wit me in the car, and then a highspeed chase from the person he hit. Sooooo yeah, not gonna go wit him, but yeah, they are both heads, n like the tunes, n talk to telinski n stuff, so never had any hassles. =-)
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#60233 2 years, 7 months ago
Both of my parents were hippies so they were more than understanding. In the summers of 69 and 70 my Dad took me to a couple of the Schaefer Music Festival concerts in Central Park. I was exposed to the likes of Led Zeppelin, BB King and Jethro Tull before I was even 5 years old. My parents got divorced when I was 6 and my Mom moved us to Missouri for a few months to live on a commune called the Dragon Wagon. Surrounded by hippies I was taught to roll joints for them and had my first puff. But for the record "I didn't inhale"
Time to create page: 0.92 seconds