• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

Re: ST. LOUIS HOTEL DEAL SUN., 11/20 WALK TO FOX!

#60209 2 years, 10 months ago
I didn't check the rates on this place. I didn't really feel the need to.

I have paid $100 for rooms at shows, and I know this hotel, so $89 doesn't seem to bad.

If the beer is Budweiser, then its probably as fresh as you'll ever get it. What with the brewery about a mile or so away.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
JOE DANGLE
Junior Boarder

#60248 2 years, 10 months ago
Yea, sometimes you can luck out booking through an online travel site, but organizations like mine (I'm involved with hockey) work to ensure that for the most part the rate they give us will benefit us (meaning those staying on behalf of the co.) and will be cheaper than anything you'll find online, why else would they expect people to book saying "LIJHL" vs. just using the internet. I am just kindly offering my organization's rate out to you if you would like to take advantage of it. I felt I got some damned good deals.

Of course there are always exceptions to the rule, but for instance, this hotel-they negotiated a very low rate which I thought was more than fair. Hotels in PA have heard "the Dead's coming" and have jacked their prices up to $200 when they typically will negotiate with my co. for $89. They refiused to negotiate with my co. (and I do business frequently) because they know folks are coming in from all over, so they jacked up the price. That blows. I'm still trying to work some magic in State Co. but I don't know what we'll come up with, if anything. Someone wised these fellas up, some college kid into Furthur or something. Way to go, Kid! Hope they give you a promotion.

I don't know about you, but when I'm staying at a hotel, especially for a show, I look a a few things:

1. cost
2. convenience to venue, can we walk, take a cab, a train, a bus?
3. comfort (is it clean or a dump), does it have a refrigerator and microwave so I can cook some down home food when we get
back and have the munchies.
4. parking-is it free or do I have to pay $10 a day to park in a hotel lot
5. food-is breakfast included, cuz my family and I can easily eat $50 in food for breakfast plus coffee, juices
6. do they have a nightly reception-cuz I do enjoy a free drink (or 2 or 3!) amongst friends before heading over to a show.

Many of these things cannot be negotiated when booking online. It's nice to know a price and everything that is included and just book it. Plus, remember, often time the price increases with every additional adult. You might find a price of $69.99 online but when you and three buddies get there you might find out that said hotel charges each of your buddies $10 so what started out as $69.99 (before taxes) becomes $100 before taxes. Careful on that. I have told every hotel I negotiated with that there will be about 4 people per room, sometimes more, sometimes less. They are cool with it. Food for thought.
JOE DANGLE
Junior Boarder

#60273 2 years, 10 months ago
TO BOOK NOW: www.druryhotels.com/Reservations.aspx?groupno=2128422

They just sent me the link.

You can book this until October 22, 2011 providing they still have rooms left.
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by JOE DANGLE.
berry_good
Junior Boarder

#60735 2 years, 10 months ago
JOE DANGLE wrote:
ANOTHER GREAT DEAL SEALED!

TO BOOK NOW: www.druryhotels.com/Reservations.aspx?groupno=2128422

Sunday, Nov. 20, 2011 Within walking distance of Fox Theater!!

FYI....the Pear Tree Inn Union Station is NOT within walking distance of the Fox Theatre.

The Pear Tree Inn is approx 2 miles east of the Fox.

The only hotel within walking distance of the Fox is the Hotel Ignacio. Rooms start @ $189.00 at the hotel.

www.hotelignaciostl.com/
JOE DANGLE
Junior Boarder

#60818 2 years, 10 months ago
Ossumpei wrote:
Its a bit of a walk, maybe 15-16 blocks. If the weather is nice it could be pleasant. The moon will be in the first quarter, so there is potential for a stroll. Definitely cheap in a cab.

Since Joe Dangle worked out a price on a nice room, interesting part of town, close to the venue, IMHO, its looks pretty sweet.

We've established that it is indeed about a mile, so, if you're into a stroll, not too bad. And like others have mentioned, a cab ride wouldn't be too costly. I know we are staying here because you can't beat the free drinks, free munchies, free breakfast (especially when you have 4 in a room-plus they are suites so there's breathing room) and if the "close" hotel's going rate is $189.00, well, shame on my family if we can't walk a mile to save ourselves $100.

We are kind of taking a risk by offering my business' rate to "strangers", but I think of people on this board and whom I meet at shows as family, so I thought I'd share the rates I was able to negotiate. If you feel it's a good deal, and you don't mind an evening strolll, then please, feel free to take advantage and book. If not, best of luck booking closer. $100 is a lot of money to our family, so we're opting for the Pear Tree. Different strokes for different folks.
berry_good
Junior Boarder

#60865 2 years, 10 months ago
I would advise taking a cab to the Fox Theatre from the Pear Tree Inn. If you do the 2 mile walk to the venue from the hotel, you will be entering some shady areas of the city. Just saying.
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by berry_good.
JOE DANGLE
Junior Boarder

#60874 2 years, 10 months ago
Thanks Berry, that is good to know!
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#60983 2 years, 10 months ago
It may be a little cool for a walk anyway, especially after the show.

You still could walk to the show.

My sweetie has lived here all her life. She says the neighborhood is better avoided.

Something else I overlooked. I'm afraid I'm not staying there, so I didn't do enough research. Now I feel like such an asshole. Sorry if I let anyone down.

So take a cab.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Ossumpei.
Time to create page: 0.76 seconds