• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

those taking their car on tour

#59535 2 years, 11 months ago
well, it is getting to be about that time, leaving sunday morning to head out to oakland to meet the platypus and head north to eugene...takin charlene for an oil change today, and it just triggered me to post a thread encouraging those of you taking your cars out there on the open roads to make sure they are ready for these trips..check your fluids, your brakes, make sure all your lights are working, windows/locks, emergency kit, jumper cables, blanket, water, anything else you can think of...nothing worse than having your ride let you down out there, trust me

edit: MAKE SURE YOUR WIPERS WORK.....WELL!!! I CAN ALMOST GUARANTEE WE WILL SEE SOME PRECIPITATION DURING NEXT WEEKEND
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by wlewis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Re: those taking their car on tour

#59538 2 years, 11 months ago
Thanks, I am way overdue for an oil change after the last tour. Also make sure you have enough gas to get to your hotel / next destination if you are seeing a show - especially if the venue is off the beaten track where the towns tend to close early.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

#59541 2 years, 11 months ago
I always just rent a car these days. I have a jeep that gets about 15 miles to the gallon. A rental cost $20 bucks a day, and gets way better gas mileage. Plus if I have any problems I can get a different car. This is a win, win. I do miss my 76 bus though. It took along time to get anywhere, but the ride was always fun.
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#59542 2 years, 11 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
Thanks, I am way overdue for an oil change after the last tour. Also make sure you have enough gas to get to your hotel / next destination if you are seeing a show - especially if the venue is off the beaten track where the towns tend to close early.

hahahaha been there done that, after a show in bethel on a sunday night....NOTHING IS OPEN for 30 miles, and when you don't have 30 miles, you're fucked...pure negligence on our part, but you learn from your mistakes
St.Stephenhead
Gold Boarder
Empty bottles that can't be filled

#59599 2 years, 11 months ago
Wlewis - You are a very kind soul brother. Would love to meet up with you at Red Rocks or some other venue you will be attending. That actually goes for all the Forum Fam, would love to meet up with all of you at some point and roll away the Dew. Will def be checkin my ride before Red Rocks.
Time there was and plenty, but from that cup no more
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#59603 2 years, 11 months ago
get triple a the roadside help is well worth the price but your idea is solid lewis an oreall checkup is good advice before any road trip
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: DancingBear
MsJimp
Expert Boarder
I take pictures

#59614 2 years, 11 months ago
Don't forget snacks , stop driving when you are tired, try to find a hotel with a year round pool as a nice swim after driving a long distance is always a good thing. I will say it again, do not drive tired. 5 hour energy is always good to have around. Make sure you have correct directions. Do not forget your tickets or hotel check in info. Switch drivers every 4 hours . Have a car charger for your cell phones and electronic equipment. Don't forget to bring a wall charger too. Bring a first aid kit and ankle splint{dancing can cause a need for this} . Bring some actual cash. Coleman stove. Some meal quality food in case of major un expected expenses. Tent. Blanket, pillow, helmet for red rocks, gas cans for your stove, cooler, a full size spare tire, a few cans of fix a flat, jumper cables
Please tell Governor Christie of NJ to open the records
DancingBear
Senior Boarder

#59627 2 years, 11 months ago
83msg1sttyme wrote:
get triple a the roadside help is well worth the price but your idea is solid lewis an oreall checkup is good advice before any road trip

Triple A is an awsome deal.....they will assist any car the member is in even if its not theirs. I bailed my mom out a couple of times and all i had to do was just stand next to her "brokedown palace".
Can't talk to you without talkin' to me. Were guilty of the same ol' things.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#59639 2 years, 11 months ago
And AAA is really cool, at least in NY. When I sighed up years ago -- over the phone, the first question they asked me was if I was stuck and if I needed roadside assistance.

I believe that means you can sign up when you break down and then they will come and tow or help you. Their towing is good but not the best....they only take you a certain number of miles (or to the closest AAA repair shop) but it comes in handy. I used them in '09 going to the vibes I ran over something that ripped up two tires. Never had that but I needed a tow to a tire place, and they came pretty quick and they saved my show.

It comes in handy, and if you use a few hotels a year, the AAA discount usually pays for your annual membership.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#59681 2 years, 11 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
And AAA is really cool, at least in NY. When I sighed up years ago -- over the phone, the first question they asked me was if I was stuck and if I needed roadside assistance.

I believe that means you can sign up when you break down and then they will come and tow or help you. Their towing is good but not the best....they only take you a certain number of miles (or to the closest AAA repair shop) but it comes in handy. I used them in '09 going to the vibes I ran over something that ripped up two tires. Never had that but I needed a tow to a tire place, and they came pretty quick and they saved my show.

It comes in handy, and if you use a few hotels a year, the AAA discount usually pays for your annual membership.

i'm not sure how i neglected to mention AAA but yes, it is the shit

yes scarletfire you can sign up the first call, that is what i did after the first night of mann center in 2010...had some electrical issues preventing me from starting my car, totally fried with zero options called and signed up...was a great decision..originally i had the basic membership worth like 3 tows a year and only like 3-5 miles was payed for..that was all i needed during that situation...i later upgraded to the AAA plus, giving me 5 tows, up to 100-200 miles each...a few more benefits like running out of gas, battery, and a few more roadside basics..
Time to create page: 0.78 seconds