• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
St.Stephenhead
Gold Boarder
Empty bottles that can't be filled

Re: How did you discover the music?

#59885 2 years, 12 months ago
I went to about 9 Schwags !!!! thats so cool, schwags and jakes leg are what got me on the bus too. Melvin and the JGB are the shit and may heaven help them. . Been listeining since bout beg. of high school. Would not live the life i do today without the Grateful Dead. Seee ya'll on the Tour!!
Time there was and plenty, but from that cup no more
Last Edit: 2 years, 12 months ago by St.Stephenhead.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#59950 2 years, 12 months ago
JStraw wrote:
Like wlewis, it was American Beauty that did for me as well. I was a total skatepunk back in the early/mid 80's, it was all about punk rock shows for me back then (black flag, subhumans, the exploited, etc.) A friend came over and put American Beauty in my tape player while we were skating and I thought how amazing the whole album sounded. It was all over after that. I quickly turned from going to punk rock shows to going to GD shows.

that is coincidental, punk was my scene before that as well
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Tmglf2
Platinum Boarder
Without love in a dream, it will never come true.

#59955 2 years, 12 months ago
For me it was going away to college when the dorm
Paired me with a deadhead with a box of cassettes and lots of stories. In no time we were touring.
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#60087 2 years, 12 months ago
as early as i can remember growing up my parents always had skull and roses, american beauty, europe '72, and workingman's dead. uncle john's band and johnny b. goode are the ones i remember wanting to hear the most as a child and then when i was like 16 or so it became a full on obsession around the time i saw phil and friends for the first time
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
Kind_Head
Junior Boarder

#60096 2 years, 12 months ago
iamthedoor wrote:
It discovered me, and in turn so did I

This.
In the end theres just a song.. Its cryin' down the wind!
drpsilocybo
Junior Boarder
Trying to find a peacefull song

#60100 2 years, 12 months ago
It was American Beauty for me. When I first got my drivers license my friends and I would drive around endlessly with nothing to do, just smoking weed and eating fast food mostly. The car didn't have a cd player adn the only cassette I had was american beauty. I must have listened to that thing on repeat 1000 times that summer and it never got old.
lightchaser
Platinum Boarder

#60113 2 years, 12 months ago
Back in the good old days (early 70's) FM radio was actually good; they played the Dead; I got Europe 72, then Blues for Allah, saw them in 76; Help/Slip/Franklin blew my mind. And here I am!
Thank You Cody, we are forever Grateful!
Tmglf2
Platinum Boarder
Without love in a dream, it will never come true.

#60322 2 years, 12 months ago
I believe I was predisposed to be a deadhead. It's genetic you know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ratdogdonna
SkiNose
Junior Boarder

#60357 2 years, 12 months ago
I was living in the CU Boulder dorms. Lizzie Kauffman was a huge deadhead. She was older and turned me onto a lot of things. By winter I was ready for my first shows. This was Winter 84/Spring 85.
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know."
skidoo
Gold Boarder
skidoo, skidoo.....ski-doo doo doodlie doo doo doo

#60436 2 years, 12 months ago
early '80s Ryerson College radio station in Toronto which is now recently defunct. buddy had a show and played tapes of GD shows. he also used to get a show from SF called "Who Shot The Pope" and Mae Brussell "Brussell Sprouts" tapes plus "Church of the Subgenius"....all conspiracy theory stuff, Subgenius more light-hearted funny weird stuff. he would play GD shows in between the conspiracy theory shows.....very intense stuff at 3 am as a youth
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds