• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

Re: How did you discover the music?

#59612 3 years, 1 month ago
back in 8 th grade i was listeing to all kinds of bands and started listening to the dead too in 1983 i saw the dead at MSG and have been a dye hard ever since .here it is 2011 going on 2012 and just got more tickets today 28 yrs of good times and a few sad ones
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#59613 3 years, 1 month ago
when i was 15 a drummer friend of mine turned me on to the Dead. i was into metal (as were most of my friends at the time)... and even though the GD weren't metal i totally loved the name, so i was open to hearing the music. one day while hanging out at his house he threw on the Grateful Dead movie and i loved it. 2 weeks later we went to the Tampa Sun Dome for my 1st show and i've been hooked ever since.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#59626 3 years, 1 month ago
Well I thought I was the last generation of dead heads since I got on in 93. I had some friends that were listing to them and a older sisters friend who was going since 87. The first time I heard them was in 93 and like them but a couple weeks after I went to my first show and it was jgb at henry j kaiser. After that show my obsession started imeditally. All of a sudden I had a huge group of friends at high school that were dead heads and that's all we cared about. It hasn't changed a bit. Thank you Jerry
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#59791 3 years, 1 month ago
I had a lot of their music for a while and thought it was great but it wasn't until my first show - Ratdog 8/20/08 that I got on the bus..... hasn't been the same since
JStraw
Junior Boarder

#59800 3 years, 1 month ago
Like wlewis, it was American Beauty that did for me as well. I was a total skatepunk back in the early/mid 80's, it was all about punk rock shows for me back then (black flag, subhumans, the exploited, etc.) A friend came over and put American Beauty in my tape player while we were skating and I thought how amazing the whole album sounded. It was all over after that. I quickly turned from going to punk rock shows to going to GD shows.
Those who hear not the music. . . think the dancers mad.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#59823 3 years, 1 month ago
Sometime after the turning on and tuning in, and just before the dropping out.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
jbeach12078
Junior Boarder

#59845 3 years, 1 month ago
a freind gave me "doin th knicks"....
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#59855 3 years, 1 month ago
I started listening to the Dead in 6th grade. The town I grew up in (Rye New York) had a very lagre following for some reason. Maybe because those famous Port Chester shows being one town over had something to do with it. Anyway as I have said before in another post my High school actually had a Grateful Dead Club that was funded by the school. It was the largest club in my high school in the yearbook pictures. When the faculty finally realized that kids were skipping school to go to Dead shows they pulled the funding. But the tradition lived on.
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by Island Head.
Gr8fullBear
Junior Boarder

#59874 3 years, 1 month ago
Sometime in jr high school a friend gave me a copy of Skeletons. I wore that white tape out and soon picked up Working Man and American Beauty. In my small rural world I listened to the dead a few years before I ever became aware of the whole scene and live experience. I will never forget that first show. It was like a homecoming.
Chester
More or less in line

#59877 3 years, 1 month ago
Always liked what I heard on the radio, like US Blues, Casey Jones, and Truckin. All played on the local FM station.
And I had a few friends who were into it. Finaly they talked me into going to a show. That was it for me. : )
Coming up on the 30th anniversary of my first show.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds