• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

How did you discover the music?

#59512 3 years, 1 month ago
The music of the Grateful Dead was definitely an acquired taste for me. I guess my first exposure was in 1987 when I bought the Touch Of Grey single. As I recall it was pressed on grey vinyl, which I thought was cool. At the time I mostly listened to alternative rock (Elvis Costello, The Replacements, R.E.M.) but I liked the song and I prided myself on my eclectic taste and figured I should check out the Dead. That changed when every other person in my high school became a Deadhead that year, and I refused to jump on the bandwagon. To this day I'm proud I can say I'm not a Touchhead (I prefer being called a last generation Deadhead.) Flash forward a couple years to my sophomore year in college. My roommate was a Deadhead and played them 24/7. Unfortunately, all he owned was a copy of Steal Your Face and a couple of really shitty quality tapes. It drove me crazy. I actually hated the Dead for awhile because of him. The following summer I met a guy who liked a lot of the bands I did, and he had recently been to his first Dead show. The way he described the live experience is what intrigued me most. I loved going to concerts and decided I should at least do it for the experience of it all. But first I wanted to better familiarize myself with the music. I bought a copy of Skeletons From the Closet, Ace, and Garcia and listened to them in small doses over the course of the next year. What I heard was pleasant enough, but I still had a bad taste in my mouth from my previous overexposure, so small doses was all I could take. That summer I told my older brother I wanted to go with him to Soldier Field. My brother wasn't really a Deadhead but a lot of his friends were and he usually went to the Chicago area shows. June 26,1992 was certainly a day I'll never forget. Nothing I was told could prepare me for the parking lot scene. What a madhouse! I don't know where my actual seats for the show were. My brother's friends had seats on the floor within the first ten rows and they snuck us down there. They kept telling me I didn't deserve to have such good seats for my first show. The only songs I recognized were Hell In A Bucket, Maggie's Farm, Playin' In The Band, Uncle John's Band, and The Weight. It was a good time, but I wasn't blown away or anything. I knew it was something I needed to learn more about and experience again. The following spring I planned on catching one of the Rosemont Horizon shows and ended up going to all three. Again, I enjoyed myself but I still didn't totally "get it." That changed during the summer when I went to the Deer Creek run, and what a long strange trip it's been since.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by ShakedownSteve.
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

Re: How did you discover the music?

#59518 3 years, 1 month ago
It discovered me, and in turn so did I
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#59523 3 years, 1 month ago
after ignoring it for quite some time a friend came over and played american beauty all the way through...that was it..."dude, can you get me as much more of this stuff as possible??"

i truly sounded like someone who'd just done 99% cocaine for the first time
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
probeck2001
Junior Boarder

#59524 3 years, 1 month ago
From my Uncle who give me quality low-gen tapes.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#59540 3 years, 1 month ago
In the Fall of 1981 I started my freshman year at the University of Maryland, College Park. A couple of the other freshman in my dorm were big time Deadheads. I had listened to Skeletons From the Closet in high school, but the it struck me as pretty boring. These guys in my dorm played a lot of live show tapes during our daily bong hit sessions and the music grew on me. Bobby and the Midnights played on campus that Fall and I really dug the show and the crowd scene. When the Spring 1982 tour was announced a group of us camped out for tickets at the Baltimore Civic Center and I saw my first show on April 19th. This is the famous "Raven Space" show. I've been on the bus ever since.
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#59571 3 years, 1 month ago
I dated a guy who was always wearing Grateful Dead tie dyes...I knew who the dead were but never really had given them a listen. The first CD he played for me was American Beauty. I thought it was pretty cool. Started to get into them. He then took me to this music festival in Missouri, hosted by a Grateful Dead cover band The Schwag. When I first arrived on the scene down there I had never experinced such a peaceful place! Beautiful People, Energy, Vibes, it was all amazing!!! It was a great place to experince the culture and community of the dead. Since that first festival my life has changed dramaticlly. I never thought I would be so invovled and into the music as I am today. I'm ever so grateful for Nick (my ex) who got me into the Dead. If I have not discovered this music I wouldn't be the person I am today. I thank him every chance I get! And the few other close friends I've made beacue of my love of the Dead. They've tauaght me so much! I love the Grateful Dead!! Jerry, Phil, Bobby, Pigpen, Mickey, Billy, Keith, Brent, Vince, Donna, Tom, Bruce they are all so wonderful!!!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#59573 3 years, 1 month ago
My college buddies were big Dylan and Dead fans. I went with them to one show about '82, but I didn't "get it" . Then I bought the album Shakedown Street and played it to death.

1. "Good Lovin'" (Rudy Clark, Arthur Resnick) – 4:51
2. "France" (Mickey Hart, Robert Hunter, Bob Weir) – 4:03
3. "Shakedown Street" (Jerry Garcia, Hunter) – 4:59
4. "Serengetti" (Hart, Bill Kreutzmann) – 1:59
5. "Fire on the Mountain" (Hart, Hunter) – 3:46
6. "I Need a Miracle" (John Perry Barlow, Weir) – 3:36
7. "From the Heart of Me" (Donna Jean Godchaux) – 3:23
8. "Stagger Lee" (Garcia, Hunter) – 3:25
9. "All New Minglewood Blues" (Traditional) – 4:12
10. "If I Had the World to Give" (Garcia, Hunter) – 4:50

Then I traded for a lot of bootlegs and became hooked. I also bought a lot of albums; "Bears choice" was my favorite. And when I bought a cassette of American Beauty and ?? on the flip side (I think it was called Anthem to Beauty ??) I fell in love with the music big time.

In early '85 I had about 5 or 6 shows under my belt, but I caught a magical show in March '85

03-28-85 Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Uniondale, N.Y. (Thu)
1: Truckin> Smokestack*> High Time, El Paso, Peggy-O, Cassidy, China Cat> I Know You Rider
2: Scarlet> Fire> L. L. Rain> Jam> Drumz> Gimme Some Lovin> Other One> Black Peter> Sugar Magnolia E: Day Job
*with Matt Kelly

I had always liked the band and I was learning to dance, but I clearly remember set II of this show, in the hallway --- cause I needed to dance...I needed space. Somewhere during Scarlet --> Fire I no longer was thinking about dancing, it was like I was in a trance, in the grove with about a dozen other deadheads, spinning and dancing to the music. And my body was just doing it without thinking about it.

So I suppose I have to thank my college buddies for turning me on, but it took a few live shows for me to really get it. To see the light.

After that, I have caught almost every show I possibly can. I can't see myself ever giving it up.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#59575 3 years, 1 month ago
ShakedownSteve wrote:
The music of the Grateful Dead was definitely an acquired taste for me. I guess my first exposure was in 1987 when I bought the Touch Of Grey single. As I recall it was pressed on grey vinyl, which I thought was cool. At the time I mostly listened to alternative rock (Elvis Costello, The Replacements, R.E.M.) but I liked the song and I prided myself on my eclectic taste and figured I should check out the Dead. That changed when every other person in my high school became a Deadhead that year, and I refused to jump on the bandwagon. To this day I'm proud I can say I'm not a Touchhead (I prefer being called a last generation Deadhead.) Flash forward a couple years to my sophomore year in college. My roommate was a Deadhead and played them 24/7. Unfortunately, all he owned was a copy of Steal Your Face and a couple of really shitty quality tapes. It drove me crazy. I actually hated the Dead for awhile because of him. The following summer I met a guy who liked a lot of the bands I did, and he had recently been to his first Dead show. The way he described the live experience is what intrigued me most. I loved going to concerts and decided I should at least do it for the experience of it all. But first I wanted to better familiarize myself with the music. I bought a copy of Skeletons From the Closet, Ace, and Garcia and listened to them in small doses over the course of the next year. What I heard was pleasant enough, but I still had a bad taste in my mouth from my previous overexposure, so small doses was all I could take. That summer I told my older brother I wanted to go with him to Soldier Field. My brother wasn't really a Deadhead but a lot of his friends were and he usually went to the Chicago area shows. June 26,1992 was certainly a day I'll never forget. Nothing I was told could prepare me for the parking lot scene. What a madhouse! I don't know where my actual seats for the show were. My brother's friends had seats on the floor within the first ten rows and they snuck us down there. They kept telling me I didn't deserve to have such good seats for my first show. The only songs I recognized were Hell In A Bucket, Maggie's Farm, Playin' In The Band, Uncle John's Band, and The Weight. It was a good time, but I wasn't blown away or anything. I knew it was something I needed to learn more about and experience again. The following spring I planned on catching one of the Rosemont Horizon shows and ended up going to all three. Again, I enjoyed myself but I still didn't totally "get it." That changed during the summer when I went to the Deer Creek run, and what a long strange trip it's been since.

I still have two copies of that gray vinyl "touch of gray", one used, one that will never be opened (but it is a bit warped from age).
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#59590 3 years, 1 month ago
Dancing in the Street got a lot of Detroit radio play, and I liked it and so bought Terrapin Station while in high school, and subsequently Skeletons in the Closet. Then at Michigan State, an East Coaster there turned me on to the whole live aspect of the Dead in 1981, and took me to my first shows in '82 at Alpine. I was hooked immediately!! My life wouldn't have run the same course at all without that fine connection! : )
ratdogdonna
Junior Boarder

#59602 3 years, 1 month ago
A friend brought over Anthem of the Sun waaaayyy back in the day & I really enjoyed it, I had started listening to a lot of the SF bands at the time, but I fell in LOVE on a Saturday in June, 1973 at the Universal Ampitheatre in California. The Dead blew me away and I have been lovin' it ever since!
Let there be songs to fill the air <3
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds