• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
shakedownst
Junior Boarder

Re: Do you ever go to shows by yourself?

#59389 2 years, 10 months ago
I'm guessing most of you who have replied are guys...

)insert surprising follow up..)

As a woman head, I mostly go to shows alone. I used to go with a good friend who has passed away, and then, my ex. But once they were gone, I chose to go solo. AND....how fabulous. You can go where you want, when you want, no waiting, no conflicting needs. Plus, you become far more open to meeting and really getting to know new folks. It's actually quite liberating...

Of course, as a consequence of that, you meet new heads that you then end up meeting up at shows, then traveling together, and thus not going alone.

Point is: The music is the draw. The community is the draw. GO, even if you don't have a pal, because the rest of us will welcome you anyway...

Peace.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruby_claire
probeck2001
Junior Boarder

#59391 2 years, 10 months ago
shakedownst wrote:
I'm guessing most of you who have replied are guys...

)insert surprising follow up..)

As a woman head, I mostly go to shows alone. I used to go with a good friend who has passed away, and then, my ex. But once they were gone, I chose to go solo. AND....how fabulous. You can go where you want, when you want, no waiting, no conflicting needs. Plus, you become far more open to meeting and really getting to know new folks. It's actually quite liberating...

Of course, as a consequence of that, you meet new heads that you then end up meeting up at shows, then traveling together, and thus not going alone.

Point is: The music is the draw. The community is the draw. GO, even if you don't have a pal, because the rest of us will welcome you anyway...

Peace.

That's really awesome. I remember a woman head (well she was at a Furthur show anyway) told me she didn't think she could ever go to a show solo because she was a girl. Glad there's people out there with a little more guts!!
Gigs
Junior Boarder

#59417 2 years, 10 months ago
I loved going to shows buy self take your own to to come to to enjoy and not have to worry about others having a good time. Always met new friends at shows and some you would get stuck with as Friends for life. Hell thats how i met my future wife. Now i usually always go with her but we are so on the same page it nots like there is any worry she having a good time. if she cant make it i still enjoy alone
blues disciple
Junior Boarder

#59419 2 years, 10 months ago
My wife is not into going to any concert and my older sons don't share my taste in music, so I go to all shows solo. I have been to three Furthur shows and three DSO shows this past year and have met so many nice and cool people. I really have a blast. I pulled into the town and parked and explored the area, maybe slept in the van ....great time.

I can't say that the crowd is as open or friendly at any other non-Dead related concerts I have been too, which makes going solo to anybody else a bit boring and lonely.

BD
Eric
Fresh Boarder

#59437 2 years, 10 months ago
I'm going down to Eugene alone for all three shows. Planning on spending the days visiting hot springs, breweries, and exploring bike paths. Gonna be an epic weekend
- at least I'm enjoying the ride.
ruby_claire
Senior Boarder
Neon Light Diamond

#59472 2 years, 10 months ago
What a great thread!!!

I too love going to shows solo, in fact the few times lately that I've tried going with others have been as close to disasters as any show could ever really be.

So many people touched on the same reasons, easier to meet new people, not worrying about other people's head trips( i just went to a couple summer shows with a neurotic logistics nut who kept wanting to know how many miles to the venue, how much gas is left in the tank, where will we meet after the show when we had just gotten there....)Never again!!! I went to Seven Walkers with my then significant other and we had to leave after the first set because he said everyone in the bathroom was raving about the show, but to him all the song just sounded exactly the same and made his head hurt. Needless to say, that relationship is no more

I also know that going to any non-Dead related show alone is not just lonely and boring, it's setting oneself up for some serious weird looks and whispering. Last non-dead show i went to some woman asked me if I was there alone & when I said yes, she said , "That's soooooo brave of you" but the tone of her voice was pitying, as if i only went there that way cuz i was all alone in the big bad world...pretty amusing, but def not fun. Edit: MWoods, I just read your post and it was truly perfectly hysterical, a person alone amongst certain types of people makes those people uncomfortable. Your commentary was priceless.

My whole thing is the total let go, just seeing what happens - and lots of people cannot do that. It is really cool to see how many people here enjoy the solo ride!

I loved the comment comparing the solo experience to Dark Star

standing on the moon
with nothing left to do
a lovely view of heaven
but i'd rather be with you
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by ruby_claire.
wngfan
Junior Boarder

#59476 2 years, 10 months ago
Hey I will be going to Eugene shows with friends, and real psyched about it. But I am also stoked for a solo trip to Missoula. Missoula is a great town, a College town and party town. I am sure I will have a great time. hotel in walking distance, downtown walking distance. Gonna be a fun 15 hours or so I will spend there, and I can't wait. This will be my first solo Furthur show, I usually go with my wife on an old friend or two
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#59481 2 years, 10 months ago
I go to shows by myself all the time. It's easier to get a good ticket, you can come and go as you please, focus more clearly on the music. Nearly all the touring I've done with the Dead and the various post-Jerry configurations has been solo. Just crank up the tunes and drive, and there's always someone fun to talk to at the show.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Time to create page: 0.79 seconds