• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
St.Stephenhead
Gold Boarder
Empty bottles that can't be filled

Re: Do you ever go to shows by yourself?

#59234 2 years, 10 months ago
Driving from Illinois to REd Rocks SOLO : D Also hitting up rosemont alone. May sound weird but I think of it as a challenge when you go alone. You have no excuses to miss anything cause like the others said , you go where you want when you want . Trying to guess a song, Listening to every note ,, just doesnt happen when you are with a group or a few pals. Yes it is more expensive that way but IMHO- The Grateful Dead are priceless. Love them while we have them. I saw someone post that they would get caught up in the parking lot scene and miss a set or show. Not this Head : D And they can do whatever they want but just keep this in mind, Somewhere there is a Kindhead without a ticket wishin they could dance and shake their bones to some LIVE DEAD.
Time there was and plenty, but from that cup no more
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#59236 2 years, 10 months ago
not so much anymore..for the first several years of seeing shows i went with at least one other friend, would often meet a lot of other people in the lot..i was just getting out of college (earlier than all my friends) when furthur was starting up, i had nothing but time and money (believe that one or not) so i started following them around solo...by doing this, i've met a plethora of interesting folks doing the exact same thing i was doing...now i have a lot of friends i often refer to as my tour friends because we're all over the country, but when dates are announced, we're all actively making plans to make the tour work and hang when it is possible for us all to hang...and this is not to mention the many others you see every tour doing their thing...

but really inside shows i rarely have tickets next to or with the people i went with (if it is not GA obviously) so in essence it is like going solo, sometimes chilling with your friends, other times doin your own thing , meeting up setbreak, i just let the experience roll
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#59262 2 years, 10 months ago
I was thinking of this subject recently.

I have a good friend that we've been to several to shows together. He and can go and have a ton of fun together. The only issue is that one of us like's to get quite a lot more 'out there' than the other. I'll be meeting him in Chicago, and he's coming to StL Saturday night, and show Sunday. Indianapolis on Monday is still up in the air.

During the GD days, I lived in a van, so I was alone a lot, which was nice. Lots of freedom etc. Plus I had my drums and bike and all my clothes with me.

Last year I went to the show at Chaiffetz alone, and had fun, but..

It left me thinking that it would have been a whole lot more fun if I had planned better, and had a few friends from town and my bud from Chicago at the show. I haven't been in a group since about '84.

So this year I have plans, and we'll see what happens.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Ossumpei.
DangerousDan
Senior Boarder

#59275 2 years, 10 months ago
Agrree with almost everything said, going solo is much more musicily expanding as when your with a group of friends you still have a kickn time but not as rich. I gotta say i love recalling show with buddies it never gets old. As for myself i like going solo as much as possibly however when furthur comes to town i go with a bud. I prefer solo because you have the freedom to flow about as well as the lot can get annoying when your looking over your shoulder to see where your friend went or if hes still following you. cheers-Dan
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
DancingBear
Senior Boarder

#59329 2 years, 10 months ago
I ended up going solo to SPAC due to my hubby was called away for work. He's pretty much the only other person i want to go to a show with because he is my best friend and he's into them like i am. I think if we had ANY friends who were heads we would probably enjoyit to but its deffinately more fun with him.
Can't talk to you without talkin' to me. Were guilty of the same ol' things.
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#59352 2 years, 10 months ago
When I opened this thread I expected to read the exact opposite of what I have read. That being said, I have been going to shows with friends, brothers, and for the last 25 years my best friend (Wifey). I not saying I never would, but I can't imagine not having a party partner, a travel partner, and someone to share the experiences with, dance and laugh, and then reminisce about all the fucked up shit we did many months later. And we still meet the people and have the freedoms and other things mentoned. So I would say I never have, but wouldn't rule it out. But it sure would be lonely driving to red rocks alone.....
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#59359 2 years, 10 months ago
I have never gone to a show by myself but I have definately got seperated from my friends while at a show numerous times.
MWoods
Junior Boarder

#59362 2 years, 10 months ago
I love going to shows alone.

I remember this one ratdog show I was sitting in the upper sections of Mohegan Sun in CT waiting for the dog to take the stage and there were these 3 or 4 really young girls sitting in the row in front of me (by young I mean mid to late teens). One of them kept looking back at me which is the only reason I noticed them in the first place because my mind was starting to dissolve and it was freaking me out. These girls were all gussied-up and looking very out of place there in some ways. They sat quietly and I noticed that their eyes were darting around the place nervously and they seemed very uncomfortable. At one point the one who kept looking back at me whispered to her friend "Is he here alone?" Her friend looked back at me quick and then replied "I think so. Weirdo." I'm pretty sure she wan't calling her friend a weirdo and was instead referring to me. It kind of made me feel sad for a second but then I laughed. Besides, I had far more intense things to worry about at that point. All turned out well, however, and by the end of the night we were best friends (nothing perverted you sickos). Great show too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruby_claire
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#59367 2 years, 10 months ago
Aside from financial reasons, I much rather go to shows solo. I'm more open to talk to random people as opposed to staying in my group, can do what I want as stated before when I want. Its funny even when i go with people I some how end up sneaking off on my own more often than not. The way I see it I hang out with my heady friends most of the year when I'm at a show all I wanna do (beside dance my ass off) is stop some strangers an become friends by the end of the show!
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#59383 2 years, 10 months ago
I remember my Grateful Dead shows (there were only 5), even though I was at the shows with multiple friends, during the shows themselves I often found myself away from "my group" metting new people and I found it was much easier to enjoy the show. Then after the show we would all meet up on shakedown. "we'll meet by the drum circle" "which one?!"
The voices tell me what to say
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds