• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

The Grateful Dead Target Younger Generations...

#58755 3 years, 1 month ago
Mickey said "No Grateful Dead Rolling Papers"; Also no Grateful Dead coffins.

----

ultimateclassicrock.com/grateful-dead-new-merchandise-plan/
<-- link to story (reproduced below)

We thought that the Grateful Dead had already done a pretty good job of maximizing their merchandising opportunities, but apparently, they’ve got a new plan to ensure their popularity doesn’t wane among future generations of music fans.

According to a new story in the Los Angeles Times, The Dead are ramping up their efforts to get their name out there through a variety of products, both big and small….you heard about that 73 CD box set, didn’t you?

Working to make an impression with younger music fans, the Dead have carefully been searching for new and creative ways to expand their brand, without copping to the obvious options.

There will be no Grateful Dead rolling papers, for example. Drummer Mickey Hart says that they want to avoid “projecting our image as the stoner band.” It’s a familiar association with the group’s past history, but as he says, “God, that was just a part of it all, and not necessarily the life and soul.”

You can also cross the potential Dead casket off of the list, as they’re focusing their energies on items that “promote life,” and the community spirit that was enjoyed by the fans. (In other words, a Dead skateboard with the skull and roses symbolism on it = totally cool.)

They’re not looking to flood the market a la Kiss, but instead will seek to introduce 15 new items a year, approved by the four surviving members and the late Jerry Garcia’s estate.

Music licensing is another topic that is being approached cautiously, with a preference for projects that don’t promote drug use or violence. While they’re open to discussions regarding the previous, one topic that is seemingly off the table relates to Grateful Dead music being used in commercials. So far, all requests for the band’s songs for that purpose have been rejected.

Some of the most consistent merchandising activity in recent years has been via recordings of their live shows, issued as standalone titles and also as ongoing volumes, such as the popular ‘Dick’s Picks’ and ‘Road Trips’ series.

Further volumes will likely be released and impressively, Rhino Entertainment representative Mark Pinkus reveals that as many as 2000 of the 2300+ Dead shows are in the vaults.

At the end of the day, it’s all about the music (although the cash is probably nice too!). Hart says “what we’ve generated — this energy, this music — is never supposed to end with the last note. We hope our legacy goes on with that power intact.”

weirlesh.jpg
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , killwhyT
ruby_claire
Senior Boarder
Neon Light Diamond

Re: The Grateful Dead Target Younger Generations...

#58758 3 years, 1 month ago
I am so glad they're saying no to commercials. I hate hearing a great Dylan tune, only to discover it's an ad for financial management.
I think making sure future generations are exposed to the music is important. My opinion on the commercial products is that as long as they are well thought out and tasteful, without incorporating anything cheesy, it'll be cool...hopefully the stuff will be cool...

Not a fan of most marketing, but I understand the reasoning behind it
standing on the moon
with nothing left to do
a lovely view of heaven
but i'd rather be with you
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
MsJimp
Expert Boarder
I take pictures

#58759 3 years, 1 month ago
Damn, no gd coffins? I do hope they license an urn or two, what in the world am I gonna do if I can't take the dirt nap all stylie and stuff?
Please tell Governor Christie of NJ to open the records
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
Chester
More or less in line

#58770 3 years, 1 month ago
MsJimp wrote:
Damn, no gd coffins? I do hope they license an urn or two, what in the world am I gonna do if I can't take the dirt nap all stylie and stuff?

Lol. I was thinking the same thing. I'm gonna need a nice luxurious GD coffin. Gotta go out in style! ; )
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#58781 3 years, 1 month ago
from a young person's perspective, i like the band's desire to want the music to continue on for generations but there is only so much that can be sold in order to market to younger people. i think the band plays a role in making sure it continues, but i think its mainly our responsibility to make sure the music keeps getting passed down. i got into the dead because i grew up with it and i guess the early exposure in the car seat listening to europe '72 or american beauty planted a seed in my head. but hey what do i know i'm a youngin' with not much wisdom just my two cents
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#58783 3 years, 1 month ago
we should help the boys decide what kind of swag to try and sell us!
ill start a thread
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#58786 3 years, 1 month ago
MsJimp wrote:

I wanted mine to have a solar powered radio so I could always have my tunes! Lol
The voices tell me what to say
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#58795 3 years, 1 month ago
I've always thought they should open the vault so we could purchase sbd quality shows.
The voices tell me what to say
stricken
Gold Boarder

#58797 3 years, 1 month ago
If you want to connect and promote and of course sell to a younger audience im afraid you have to sell something current that they can relate to. Lets face it todays youth are different then when we grew up.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#58813 3 years, 1 month ago
ruby_claire wrote:
I am so glad they're saying no to commercials. I hate hearing a great Dylan tune, only to discover it's an ad for financial management.
I think making sure future generations are exposed to the music is important. My opinion on the commercial products is that as long as they are well thought out and tasteful, without incorporating anything cheesy, it'll be cool...hopefully the stuff will be cool...

Not a fan of most marketing, but I understand the reasoning behind it

I think "Dylan's" Pepsi commercial was really good. Not sure I saw one for a financial company, but I think it's hard to criticize Dylan for being a sellout -- unless he's changed. He's flaky, etc but as far as I know he's always been a stand up guy who speaks his mind and fights injustices This particular video was probably great marketing for Dylan to help him connect with younger fans.

PS - there are different versions of this commercial around, some longer, some shorter.

FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by scar1et_f1re.
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds