• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

Re: Grateful Dead, football and the 49ers

#58954 3 years ago
Plenty of 9ers connections here.

I was at a Robert Hunter show in the early 90s where he was razzing the crowd about the Eagles poor performance the previous Sunday. After the gig he was sitting around and I went up and asked if he was a 9ers fan. He gave me a big smile and told me he'd had season tickets for several years.

When I was in the music biz I got to deal with Dennis McNally a few times and I found him to be a very knowledgable fan.

And of course, it's well known that, although he lived in Colorado, Hunter Thompson -- a brilliant football analyst -- was primarily a 9ers fan for most of his life.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#58962 3 years ago
Here's another one for ya..recent

We just played the Seahawks right? The local radio sports station KNBR was running an ad that played up our new coach's rivalry with theirs..

Harbaugh, our new coach, played Seahawk coach Pete Carroll's USC Trojans a few years ago and Harbaugh went for a 2 pt conversion up by a huge score with maybe 2 minutes left in the game, just pouring it on...like USC would do every time

When they met after the game to shake hands, Carroll says, "What's your deal?"(almost as if running up scores to games was foreign to him)...we love that line in the bay area!

So KNBR ran this ad all week before the opening game with Jerry and the GD cranking out Deal in the background, playing up the famous quote...at the end of the ad it's just the song and they turn it up.."don't you let that deal go down" LOL
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
Last Edit: 3 years ago by sjfgreenman.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#58988 3 years ago
Hey, at least you guys don't have Mike Singletary as the coach anymore!
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#58993 3 years ago
HoF Linebacker (those eyes), great position coach but totally unable to connect with players as a leader, keeping them loose and having fun...but there's a new sheriff in town

We appreciate the Eagles Sunday effort btw, thanks.. it was fun to watch (after that first run).
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#58997 3 years ago
Not sure what's gonna happen with the Eagles. I see a lot of questions. How will they play against a top flight team? (Thankfully we're not playing Green Bay.) Can the O-line come together and if not, how durable ican Vick be for an entire season? Is their any hope for our linebackers? And of course, can Reid ever learn to really manage the clock?

There's a lot talk about a "dream team" in Philly but I'm not so sure. If everyone stays healthy and the front office can fill some holes, next year might be a really wild ride.

I'll say this, though: This looks to be the closest we've come to a big run since '04 when we made it to the Super Bowl.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds