• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

Grateful Dead, football and the 49ers

#58619 2 years, 10 months ago
In case anyone wonders if the GD were 49er fans here's some evidence to celebrate the opening of football season.
Just before the 2nd set opener China Cat, Weir steps up to the mic to say "well, ok, how about them 9ers?" BIG Cheer from the crowd.

www.archive.org/details/gd1990-12-03.sbd...r.81740.sbeok.flac16

The scene: the 49ers were playing the NY football Giants on Monday night football and both teams were undefeated. The band took a looooong set break to catch the end of the 7-3 game, a defensive classic.

My story: I was roaming the floor near the soundboard and saw 10-12 people gathered around something that turned out to be a portable TV....keep in mind, this was before cell phones/internet. I joined the huddle, watching the end of the game
hoping the 2nd set wouldn't start until the game ended. The game ended and we all yelled "9ers!" fists pumped in the air and then, poof, the lights go down and Weir lets us know they were watching, too.
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by sjfgreenman.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

Re: Grateful Dead, football and the 49ers

#58631 2 years, 10 months ago
sjfgreenman wrote:
In case anyone wonders if the GD were 49er fans here's some evidence to celebrate the opening of football season.
Just before the 2nd set opener China Cat, Weir steps up to the mic to say "well, ok, how about them 9ers?" BIG Cheer from the crowd.

The scene: the 49ers were playing the NY football Giants on Monday night football and both teams were undefeated. The band took a looooong set break to catch the end of the 7-3 game, a defensive classic.

My story: I was roaming the floor near the soundboard and saw 10-12 people gathered around something that turned out to be a portable TV....keep in mind, this was before cell phones/internet. I joined the huddle, watching the end of the game
hoping the 2nd set wouldn't start until the game ended. The game ended and we all yelled "9ers!" fists pumped in the air and then, poof, the lights go down and Weir lets us know they were watching, too.

I was also at that show. One of my friends had a Sony Watchman (mini-TV) with him, as did many others in our section. I remember that the one touchdown the 'niners scored happened while Jerry was singing a verse of Ramble On Rose, and a big cheer went up from the crowd. The band must have wondered why, since it wasn't during a solo. Or maybe they knew.
Without love day to day insanity's king
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#58738 2 years, 10 months ago
cool story thanks. I'm so far away from San Fran and have lived here my whole life in CT. I think I started liking the 49ers when I was like 8 or 9 just cause I liked the colors or something but I've stuck with it ever since
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#58775 2 years, 10 months ago
Hey, Mushroomman where do you live in CT? I am from SF but lived in CT for over 15 years. The buddy I was at that show with is from Newtown, the 1st place I lived in Ct...I also lived in Danbury, Southbury, Roxbury and Woodbury, CT. That moment was a bit of sweet payback for all the times I was in rooms full of NY Giants blue and the attitude to match when the 9ers-Giants played..it was an intense rivalry. I LOVED seeing Phil Sims all po'd at Ronnie Lott at the end of that game, frustrated...my buddy was not happy.

I remember that cheer during Ramble on Rose and thinking the 49ers just hit pay dirt and it was a meaningful score.
DancingBear
Senior Boarder

#58780 2 years, 10 months ago
sjfgreenman wrote:

Aahhhh....a portable tv....remember the good ol days when you could get tv for free? Now i pay 100 bucks a month for commercials.
Can't talk to you without talkin' to me. Were guilty of the same ol' things.
killwhyT
Senior Boarder

#58871 2 years, 10 months ago
I wish I could remember the show..it was on the radio about 20 some years age. There was a radio interview with Bobby and Jerry and they were talking while playing tunes from a simulcast. Bobby said...doesn't anyone care about the 9ers. Oh wait , maybe it was the Giants. Sorry. Carry on.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#58887 2 years, 10 months ago
sjfgreenman wrote:
Hey, Mushroomman where do you live in CT? I am from SF but lived in CT for over 15 years. The buddy I was at that show with is from Newtown, the 1st place I lived in Ct...I also lived in Danbury, Southbury, Roxbury and Woodbury, CT. That moment was a bit of sweet payback for all the times I was in rooms full of NY Giants blue and the attitude to match when the 9ers-Giants played..it was an intense rivalry. I LOVED seeing Phil Sims all po'd at Ronnie Lott at the end of that game, frustrated...my buddy was not happy.

I remember that cheer during Ramble on Rose and thinking the 49ers just hit pay dirt and it was a meaningful score.

about 10-15 minutes east of Waterbury, right about in the middle of the state
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#58933 2 years, 10 months ago
That would put you near Sherman, the greenhouse-nursery section of CT...nice area
I bet you've seen Max Creek a few times..
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#58937 2 years, 10 months ago
nope - why do they play around here often? .... not even familiar with there music though I've heard of them

are they a local band?
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by MushroomMan.
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#58953 2 years, 10 months ago
They have deep roots in CT, used to play The Sting in New Britain, the West Hartford Ballroom and many, many clubs all over New England..they still play, will be at Wormtown Festival this weekend
Here's a favorite show to check out if you have a time..it was a great weekend!
www.archive.org/details/mc1990-08-04.flac16
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds