• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
jodiah
Expert Boarder

Camping in LA?

#58545 2 years, 10 months ago
Do any of you West Coasters (Or anyone who went to the Greek shows last year) know of a place to camp near the Greek Theatre or is hotel only? Any recommendations would me much appreciated.
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

Re: Camping in LA?

#58554 2 years, 10 months ago
I looked long and hard last year but found nothing. I am sure if you are planning on staying in a van or car you could find somewhere to park it but Hollywood is pretty sketch so hotels might be a good bet. I ended up staying with friends about a 30 minute cab ride away.
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#58586 2 years, 10 months ago
nowhere close at all to camp...not that type of area...last year we just got a hotel room after driving 30-45 minutes toward vegas, it was conveniently located next to an in n out burger took off for bat country in the morning
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
ryandbc
Fresh Boarder

#58622 2 years, 10 months ago
Actually there is a lot of camping around Los Angeles, if not right within the city. If you are coming and want to experience good hiking/camping, then you can find it within 20 miles or so. But if you are just looking for a close by place to sleep, that would be harder.

You can find camp grounds here - www.reserveamerica.com/.

The one thing I have enjoyed the most since I have been out here is all the hiking, camping, etc - but nothing super close to the Greek unfortunately =(
ryandbc
Fresh Boarder

#58623 2 years, 10 months ago
However - there are def sites within an hour of the greek. So if you were thinking of driving 40 mins to get to some cheap hotel, another 20 mins isn't that much furthur
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#58811 2 years, 10 months ago
I live just a few miles from the greek.

www.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDetails...RSO&parkId=75444

This seems to be less than an hour away. You'll probably end up in the Angeles National Forest... I've never been, sadly. But it's not far at all.

www.reserveamerica.com/camping/map_of_Li...RSO&parkId=75443

Just remember- the base of that area where the locals live is a little ghetto, so keep that in mind.

But bicyclists love that area for the great climbs.... if you go, let us know how it went....
MWoods
Junior Boarder

#58816 2 years, 10 months ago
I wouldn't recommend it

iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#58822 2 years, 10 months ago
Camping anywhee close to or in LA?? ...please stop making me laugh...ahh it hurts...how funny. Too bad its 2011 and the answer is NO. I have two words for you...Rodney King.
Get a chateau...21 rooms but 1 will do.
I heard theres a campground in Compton somewhere...just show up and ask around.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#58830 2 years, 10 months ago
iraqistatefair wrote:
Camping anywhee close to or in LA?? ...please stop making me laugh...ahh it hurts...how funny. Too bad its 2011 and the answer is NO. I have two words for you...Rodney King.
Get a chateau...21 rooms but 1 will do.
I heard theres a campground in Compton somewhere...just show up and ask around.

don't be making fun of Los Angeles. It's a great place to live. Sure it has it's shortcomings, but everyone likes to poke fun of us because deep in their hearts people are jealous.
killwhyT
Senior Boarder

#58867 2 years, 10 months ago
Youth hostels. The way to go. Cheap and usually good people there too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: illuminaughty
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds