• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Girl 11
Fresh Boarder

Re: Nice surprise

#58563 3 years, 1 month ago
In my opinion, there's nothing like the energy at MSG. Enjoy every minute of that!
I'll be there at MSG, probably way up back behind the stage. Great view from up there.

Know exactly what you mean MM about being so close but feeling like sticking out your hand to Bobby was not the right thing to do. At a couple of the NY shows in the Spring, I was right up front by the stage. I was so close, I felt like I shouldn't take pictures because somehow it seemed like I would be invading their space. I did have a couple of moments of incredible eye contact with my favorite band member that I won't soon forget. Love to have a backstage pass some day but I'm not sure I could handle it. I'd be a wreck!
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#58762 3 years, 1 month ago
MushroomMan wrote:
Ratdog actually played the day that Jerry died, the shows been on gdradio a few times - very emotional show and just about every song played can be seen as a tribute or have had meaning towards Jerry, if not every single song. At the begining Bob says something along the lines of "if our departed friend has taught us anything its how music can make bad times better" .... not exact words just from memory then near the end he says "this ones for Jerry" and they do Amazing Grace...

it was Ratdog's 7th show

I just put on this show, jumped to the last song...Heavens door. Giving me the freakin chills. Thank you Mushroomman. Below is another review of that show from archives.org. Here's a link to a crisp copy of the show.... may be a tough listen.

www.archive.org/details/rd1995-08-09.dsbd.flaschner.flac16

~"Come take these tears from my face, I can't see them anymore. It just seems like such a god damn waste". - Bobby's version of Heavens door on this solemn day.

My most intense moment , maybe in my whole GDish live life , happened 14 or so hours after Jerry's death . Ratdog was scheduled to play this evening and Bob decided not to cancel . It wasn't a crazy mob scene outside ( at the beginning of the evening ). Mostly ticket holders . It was like a funeral/ wake with hundreds of equally grieving family members inside . Very intense energy . There was some weeping , but not much . Most people wanted to dance . There were some bikers right upfront , sitting on the picnic tables . The rest were heads . The bar was doing brisk business .
Many were expecting a Wonder set list and got a Ratdog set list instead . An esoteric and quietish one at that . A lot of heart went into the music though . Bob opened the show with this , " So our departed friend , if he proved anything to us , that good music can make sad times better . We have are work cut out for us this evening , so we'll just get started ." Bombs Away was well chosen and an incredible rendition . Best ever ? Eternity gets better and better each year that goes by . Blackbird was very emotional . 2' in is such a sweet moment . Someone in the crowd sounds like his heart was just stolen , "AWW!" , he yells . Then someone yells , "Thank - you Bobby!" . Another perfect moment at 2:32' . K.C. Moan was a drink of cold water after that . It was a hit or miss night musically . Some of the unmentioned songs are awful , but we can give Bobby a pass here I think . Wasserman's Amazing Grace is beautiful . There weren't many songs to dance to all night so when Throwing Stones finally hit everyone that I could see , except the bikers , was up . This song and 3 - 24 - 90/2nd are the best dancing I have ever seen . People completely lost in the music . The tape cut masks the energy . Not my fav song , but this is my fav. rendition . There was a drum circle and chanting , " You know I love will not fade away " as we drove away .
I was close to the stage during certain parts of this show . I did not see any band member cry . Bob had a look of grim determination and did not 'rock - out' all night . He was hitting the red wine pretty hard near the end .
A thank-you to the owners or whomever made the decision to open the doors up during the show and put speakers outside so everyone could listen . As the night went on , more and more people , along with the media whores , came .
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
DancingBear
Senior Boarder

#58784 3 years, 1 month ago
Chester wrote:
Freaking sweet. I managed to get Backstage passes for the Dead, at Worcester in 09. You don't meet the band, but get
private access to and from. Drinks and snacks in the VIP room. And you can pretty much go anywhere. And you get a cool
laminate as an additional souvenier. Have fun!

Funny....i always thought you would get to meet the band.....in that case I wouldn't be interested in backstage passes. I love Bill Walton (along with the rest of the Mid 80's celtics) but i would rather meet the band.
Can't talk to you without talkin' to me. Were guilty of the same ol' things.
Chester
More or less in line

#58791 3 years, 1 month ago
DancingBear wrote:
Chester wrote:
Freaking sweet. I managed to get Backstage passes for the Dead, at Worcester in 09. You don't meet the band, but get
private access to and from. Drinks and snacks in the VIP room. And you can pretty much go anywhere. And you get a cool
laminate as an additional souvenier. Have fun!

Funny....i always thought you would get to meet the band.....in that case I wouldn't be interested in backstage passes. I love Bill Walton (along with the rest of the Mid 80's celtics) but i would rather meet the band.

Well, there are different levels of backstage access. The pass I got was the lowest level. However, the ability to come and go
as you please, access to backstage bathrooms, free beer and wine, and I watched the show from the second row, was very
enjoyable. I don't think the band hangs out much back there anyway. Pretty much to and from. Although I did briefly meet
Warren, just as a coincedence.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#58829 3 years, 1 month ago
"In my opinion, there's nothing like the energy at MSG." So true..many magical moments in that place but my favorite may have been the unexpected 1st set Scarlet that had the building moving n swaying.

There are different levels of backstage. The last few years I don't think the band even hung out with each other backstage much, they had those little rooms off the side of the stage. Phil's had a table with flowers and he'd be there collecting himself and lighting, um, candles.

When they played the Warfield in '80 I knew the manager of the theatre next door and he brought us in there for a tour a couple of days before the 1st show...they had the giant skeletons laid out on the seats. One room had boxes and boxes of the band's personal photos some of which were then framed and put in the hallways. We got to see the sound setup downstairs for the live recordings and then the dressing rooms where he had hung out with "the chubby one and the teenage looking guy" the night before...on the wooden ledges lining the room were some leftovers. He said "oh, yeah, they kept trying to hand me those..take them and finish them." we did!
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#59675 3 years, 1 month ago
Just got my VIP passes, necklce badge. Also part of the itinerary says "Lunch/snacks with the band 11-1. COuld this possibly be true? WOW I certainly hope so. I may have to tell Bob to rid himself of those capri panshe wears now!!!
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Chester
More or less in line

#59680 3 years, 1 month ago
Wow! You got a good deal there! Have fun. Tell the band we say hi!
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#59692 3 years, 1 month ago
Chester wrote:
Wow! You got a good deal there! Have fun. Tell the band we say hi!

Shall be a good time for sure. And I will.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Time to create page: 2.05 seconds