• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
Posts:4900
R U Kind?

Re: ANYBODY HEARD OF THIS DAVE ANVER GUY??

#58116 3 years, 1 month ago
lostsailor wrote:
scar1et_f1re wrote:
I haven't read too much about said douchbag, just what is on this forum, but I cannot believe Furthur would hire a goon like that to protect their copyrights. As far as I know, the dead family has always freely allowed "their" material (skull and roses, etc) to be used by private vendors. That type of unconventional marketing is one reason the band has become so popular, especially with the sharing of music.

If this guy really works for someone legit, I would think it was the venue. But from little I have seen he just seems like a violent guy who gets off fucking with people.

Just my 2 cents.


One tour, 1994, my GF designed a kick ass tshirt with dancing bears on it. There was this black woman at every show I was at, in a golf cart, with something like a back stage pass. She caught me twice... we'd only keep a few shirts on us at a time... but she got them from us. She was not the most healthiest of older ladies... so there's no need to have this kind of goon doing the work... but the Dead very much took their copyright seriously. It could be out of their hands... part of the merchandising contract that they partners who actually do all the work handle it and the band could care less. But they always took it seriously, at least to keep it in check.


Thanks, I didn't realize. Question, if you were selling things without a copyrighted image, did they still hassle the vendors? I thought when they cracked down on selling things it was across the board, from Mr. Veggie Burrito's to Mr. Glass pipe / necklaces, etc.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder
Posts:5732

Re: ANYBODY HEARD OF THIS DAVE ANVER GUY??

#58120 3 years, 1 month ago
yeah the dead in lateryearsdidnt like people using "official " logos iedancing bears skealtons lightingbolts skull and roses you had to becreative anddo other stuffhence the cartoon shirts and fractals etc.i understand they charge a fee to use /sell liscencened goods
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
lostsailor
Senior Boarder
Posts:552

Re: ANYBODY HEARD OF THIS DAVE ANVER GUY??

#58154 3 years, 1 month ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:

Thanks, I didn't realize. Question, if you were selling things without a copyrighted image, did they still hassle the vendors? I thought when they cracked down on selling things it was across the board, from Mr. Veggie Burrito's to Mr. Glass pipe / necklaces, etc.


From '89 to 95, I sold pizza bagels (the first from homemade bagels) to grilled cheese and quesadillas. Only that one tour I went with someone who was a good artist and coudl free hand design the shirt (it had on back a big flatbed VW bus, with a giant spoon on the flatbed, with bears driving/waving to you and spillign off te hback of the bus.... it was pretty cool.

The food was always dependent on the locale... some places were downright hostile (cops walking through saying they will be arresting anyone vending when they come back in 5 minutes... and they were true to their word) to a game of bored cops/security largeyl ignoring us completely. In Atlanta, in 1992, I had cops going back and forth the rows of cars in the lot, and I'd simply cut back a few lanes, then go forward a few lanes... it was a fun dance high on acid running around with a lit gas habachi thing and a cooler of food... until they finally said "ok, no more fooling around you are done...." oh yes sir.... but I made $100 bux in an hour's time.

But th eshirt copyright cart was there every day. She was good, too... you'd rarely see her coming. If I did, I'd just put the shirt on like I just bought it.... but other times she was right around the corner watching you... out comes the police badge and off she goes with your product. But we had our tickets for every show that tour, we just had to sell 10 shirts (only made 200 shirts total for te h18 shows we caught) at $15 (or $20 or $10) and then we were done for the day...
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
Posts:4900
R U Kind?

Re: ANYBODY HEARD OF THIS DAVE ANVER GUY??

#58217 3 years, 1 month ago
lostsailor wrote:
scar1et_f1re wrote:

Thanks, I didn't realize. Question, if you were selling things without a copyrighted image, did they still hassle the vendors? I thought when they cracked down on selling things it was across the board, from Mr. Veggie Burrito's to Mr. Glass pipe / necklaces, etc.


From '89 to 95, I sold pizza bagels (the first from homemade bagels) to grilled cheese and quesadillas. Only that one tour I went with someone who was a good artist and coudl free hand design the shirt (it had on back a big flatbed VW bus, with a giant spoon on the flatbed, with bears driving/waving to you and spillign off te hback of the bus.... it was pretty cool.

The food was always dependent on the locale... some places were downright hostile (cops walking through saying they will be arresting anyone vending when they come back in 5 minutes... and they were true to their word) to a game of bored cops/security largeyl ignoring us completely. In Atlanta, in 1992, I had cops going back and forth the rows of cars in the lot, and I'd simply cut back a few lanes, then go forward a few lanes... it was a fun dance high on acid running around with a lit gas habachi thing and a cooler of food... until they finally said "ok, no more fooling around you are done...." oh yes sir.... but I made $100 bux in an hour's time.

But th eshirt copyright cart was there every day. She was good, too... you'd rarely see her coming. If I did, I'd just put the shirt on like I just bought it.... but other times she was right around the corner watching you... out comes the police badge and off she goes with your product. But we had our tickets for every show that tour, we just had to sell 10 shirts (only made 200 shirts total for te h18 shows we caught) at $15 (or $20 or $10) and then we were done for the day...


Just opened up an old Relix Magazine (June '89) at lunch and there's a half page article on this...from Dennis McNally (dead spokesman). I'll try to upload later if our copy machine gets fixed (not likely)

from the article - copied word for word: Another issue among vendors are the "shirt police", who according to Scott Schwartz, owner of Dye-namic, a Syracuse NY based tie-dye company, were out in force during the Chicago shows. These "Shirt Police" are part of the security teams hired at each city and are under the direction of GD Merchandising. They can be found out confiscating everything from Bootleg "Steal Your Face" patches to T-Shirts sporting silk-screened song lyrics.

McNally said that if the Dead don't enforce copyright protection on the small scale, soon they will find themselves being ripped off big time by professional counterfeiters.

Legal resources against these pros would be nil under what he termed "visitation of copyright". This idea boils down to: if you let the little guy get away with copyright infringement the court will not enforce your rights against the organized bootleggers.

"Grateful Dead Merchandising is only defending itself" McNally concluded.

Given the stakes involved if the on-tour problems continue to escalate, the Grateful Dead organization may face even more drastic means of self defense (MY COMMENTARY, not part of the article...note, the article also discussed gate crashing among other things...I just typed up one small piece of the article).
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by scar1et_f1re.
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1986
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

Re: ANYBODY HEARD OF THIS DAVE ANVER GUY??

#58318 3 years, 1 month ago
I don't get it, they hire THAT guy to stop unofficially licensed merchandise from being sold? THAT guy? This is got to be a joke right? WoW, trey really does have a drug problem
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1986
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

Re: ANYBODY HEARD OF THIS DAVE ANVER GUY??

#58325 3 years, 1 month ago
Millions of people buy things officially on the internet and stores. Who cares if thousands buy at lots ? Does that really affect the millions that buy online or in stores....and they hired this fat ugly guy to confiscate your shit. How about they hire Dave and people to go around and be peace keepers and make sure that people arent fighting and pets are not being mistreated and kids harrassed by cops? They hire someone to make sure things arent being sold with a phish and a dead bear on it....you've GOT to be kidding right. But the real kicker is....they hired THAT guy to do it.? Thats just hilarious. But makes me mad....if they are gonna hire someone....make it for a good purpose to protect the peoples safety...not thier wallets. Wait....let me get this clear once more...they hired THAT guy....this is more funnyto me than it makes me mad only cause they hired "DAve"......(huge laugh) !!!! "Come here you little critter, drop them stickers that say "Your hands and feet are Mangos your gonna be a genius anyway". "Drop em Now!! They belong to Trey and Mike !!" (huge laugh again) omg I would slap that guy with a metal fold up chair if he came an inch near me !
thelegendaryrob
Fresh Boarder
Posts:6

Re: ANYBODY HEARD OF THIS DAVE ANVER GUY??

#58655 3 years, 1 month ago
what concerns me more is this: typically only us marshals service is authorised to serve restraining orders regarding trademarks.therefore it appears mr anver has been falsely representing himself as a federal officer-which im pretty sure is a felony.w that said, he DOES really appear to resemble a heavily tattooed individual who assualted & robbed (actually nearly killed) me in arkansas in 2009 with martial arts weapons-nunchaku-and he reportedly has a black belt.again, if anyone can place him at the wakarusa festival in june 2009, please call (479) 667-4127 and speak to investigator robert limbocker. thank you
thelegendaryrob
Fresh Boarder
Posts:6

Re: ANYBODY HEARD OF THIS DAVE ANVER GUY??

#58672 3 years, 1 month ago
westword(the denver alternarag) about 5 minutes ago- confirmed mr anver was charged with misdemeanor assault (so that should settle the argument raging in the PT discussion over whether or not an arrest was made), heres a link:

blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2011/09/phish_f ight_parking_lot.php

with that said, it looks like the commerce city police are at the moment, keeping their charges at a minimum(this doesnt mean that the city attorney cant add to what the police know, by the way, should they receive furthur evidence of crime(s)).-from what I can see, however, given the reports of the illegal weapon in his vicinity(brass knuckles), as well as the injuries the young man reportedly sustained, and the fact that he reportedly holds a black belt in at least one martial art, I think felony charges are in order, personally.--If I was the city attorney, id add felony impersonation of federal law enforcement, as well as theft for the painting that was allegeldy stolen.id value it at $500.oo just on principle, were I that city attorney.

moving on
lostsailor
Senior Boarder
Posts:552

Re: ANYBODY HEARD OF THIS DAVE ANVER GUY??

#58792 3 years, 1 month ago
hey scarletfire- thanks for posting that. Yup- those people nabbed me and my gf a few times... cost us $20. lol.

LROB: since you are basically pasting your posts from ratdog.org to here- please address in the article that scarletfire posted, to whit: "These "Shirt Police" are part of the security teams hired at each city and are under the direction of GD Merchandising. They can be found out confiscating everything from Bootleg "Steal Your Face" patches to T-Shirts sporting silk-screened song lyrics."

You seem to be saying only fed marshalls can confiscate... no?
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
Posts:4900
R U Kind?

Re: ANYBODY HEARD OF THIS DAVE ANVER GUY??

#58799 3 years, 1 month ago
lostsailor wrote:
hey scarletfire- thanks for posting that. Yup- those people nabbed me and my gf a few times... cost us $20. lol.

LROB: since you are basically pasting your posts from ratdog.org to here- please address in the article that scarletfire posted, to whit: "These "Shirt Police" are part of the security teams hired at each city and are under the direction of GD Merchandising. They can be found out confiscating everything from Bootleg "Steal Your Face" patches to T-Shirts sporting silk-screened song lyrics."

You seem to be saying only fed marshalls can confiscate... no?


Our copier is still messed up, other wise I'd post the entire article. What I retyped was word for word...except for a possible typo.

Here's a bit more (again quoted word for word from Relix June 1989):
When queried about the problems besetting vendors -- who are often trying to do business without overnight parking facilities or an organized marketplace ---McNally offered no solution.

The level of work required of a vendors' representative would be tremendous. He or she would have to deal with the GD's lawyer, road manager, band and crew, GD security, local police and city fathers plus the different concert promoters. "It would be a full time job" said McNally, adding that he did not see mail order vending passes as a solution.

Then it goes on what I typed earlier (below)..."Another issue among vendors are the 'shirt police' .......
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds