• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

21 years ago today

#57070 2 years, 7 months ago
The GD return to the Spectrum for only the the 3rd show with Vince . The crowd was abuzz outside wondering what this "new guy" was gonna bring to the table and how the band would sound without Brent. This is one of the most underated shows of all time. It was as if Bob & Jerry knew they had to step up to the table and shine as they work "the new guy" in. Boy did they deliver:

Grateful Dead
09/10/90 (Mon) The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA

Set 1: Shakedown Street, Little Red Rooster, Peggy-O, Mama Tried > Mexicali Blues, Row Jimmy, Stuck Inside A Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again, Foolish Heart > Promised Land

Set 2: Victim Or The Crime > Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain > Women Are Smarter > Drums > Space > The Other One > Wharf Rat > Sugar Magnolia, E: U.S. Blues

Shakedown fantastic...a lil lull......then the show soars from Mama Tried on. I challenge anyone to show me a better Stuck in Side a Mobile..... Bob was literally spitting out the lyrics. ( BTW Greg Nixon has some great shots from this show..Bobby in kinda hawaaiin silk shirt) . Foolish heart hot. Then I swear to god the whole building lifted and we all flew off to the Promised Land --you can hear the whole band crackling with energy..to a stupendous crescendo "po boy is on the line "

Alll of set 2 good>great........ but what really hit me was Vince singing the high harmonies on Wharf Rat- it sounded JUST perfect. Maybe we will survive. And an energetic Bobby all over the stage for a crowd going ballastic Sugar Mag. They still had IT! This whole fall tour is one of my favorite ever..the Garden shows after the spectrums DID NOT Suck either as Hornsby joined in on the fun on 9/15.

After (hopefully) my Nittany Lions thrash Alabama I'm goin in the time capsule back to this night for a good listening. Highly reccomended the SIMWMBA & Promised Land are my all time 2 favorite version. Going to post a link in a ses....ENJOY!

www.archive.org/details/gd1990-09-10.aud.wiley.8702.sbeok.shnf

This is a great aud..I've only listened to the first minute of Shakedown and you can hear the crowd EXPLODING. BTW its weird but I thought this was the best I ever saw/heard Vince. He fit in nicely on this night
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Walk in the Sunshine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

Re: 21 years ago today

#57081 2 years, 7 months ago
I remember this show. I was in for the whole Spectrum run and I remember how impressed (and relieved) everybody was that Vince was fitting in so well.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds