• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
DancingBear
Senior Boarder

A Little News

#56220 3 years ago
Controversy Around Controversial Anti-Terrapin Signs
Council opts to not pass resolution condemning signs. Hopes to move forward with productive, civil debate.
By Kelly Dunleavy Email the author 1:02pm Print&nbps;0 Comments
Tweet Email

A resolution condemning anti-Terrapin Crossroads signs placed along Phil Lesh’s morning walking route became a controversy itself Wednesday night, as the Fairfax Town Council split over whether or not the resolution would make the debate on the project more divisive.

“It sets a bad tone,” said Mayor Larry Bragman.

The resolution called for the debate to be “civil in tone, respectful of the applicants’ and public’s rights, and remain free of all acts of intimidation.” However, it also specifically called out opponents of the Terrapin Crossroads project as using tactics that would make Phil and Jill Lesh feel intimidated and unwelcome.

That, said a number of people in the audience, wasn’t fair.

At the heart of the debate was an incident that led the Leshes to pull their proposed Terrapin Crossroads music venue before its first public hearing. According to Jill Lesh, signs saying “Stop Terrapin” were placed exactly along Phil’s morning walking route in Ross – suggesting that someone knew where Phil walked each day. Additionally, flyers were posted on cars at St. Rita’s and a petition was presented to the Leshes.

Ross Police Chief Erik Masterson said there was no vandalism but a number of signs posted on telephone poles. No police report was filed.

The story, though, got passed on and rumors arose and it became, what Bragman called, “triple hearsay.” Because no police report was filed and no photographs were taken, people were also unsure about what exactly was on the flyers.

By calling out this specific incident in the resolution, a number of opponents of the project said that it was biased in favor of the Leshes and seemed to criticize all opponents of the project.

“Painting with a broad brush every opponent as being intimidating or terrorizing or creating an unwelcome feeling isn’t fair,” said Vice Mayor Pam Hartwell-Herrero.

A number of residents who live near the proposed project and have been vocal critics said they had also been yelled at or felt threatened by Jill Lesh.

Adrianne Peixotto, whose first concert was the Grateful Dead, said Jill called her cell phone and yelled at her, calling her a ring leader with a mob mentality, and accusing her of posting the flyers – which she said she didn’t know anything about.

“I think the resolution is great, but it needs to be generic without names, because it does feel accusatory,” said Peixotto.

The council discussed removing references to the Leshes and this specific project from the resolution, making it simply a call for civility, but David Weinsoff, who brought the resolution forward, asked for a vote as it was written.

“I’m greatly afraid this might be the beginning of a slippery slope,” said Weinsoff. “I want to nip this in the bud.”

However, Weinsoff was the only one who voted for the resolution. Council Member Lew Tremaine, who had originally said he supported it, abstained from the vote. Council Members Hartwell-Herrero, Bragman and John Reed voted no.

"This is a delicate point [in the discussion]," said Bragmen, who thought passing the resolution and specifically calling out opponents of the project could further raise hostilities around the project.
Can't talk to you without talkin' to me. Were guilty of the same ol' things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: guitargeorge, SunshineSue
DancingBear
Senior Boarder

Re: A Little News

#56221 3 years ago
This was posted on the SanAnselmo-FairfaxPatch web page about an hour ago
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#56231 3 years ago
DancingBear wrote:
Controversy Around Controversial Anti-Terrapin Signs
Council opts to not pass resolution condemning signs. Hopes to move forward with productive, civil debate.
By Kelly Dunleavy Email the author 1:02pm Print&nbps;0 Comments
Tweet Email

A resolution condemning anti-Terrapin Crossroads signs placed along Phil Lesh’s morning walking route became a controversy itself Wednesday night, as the Fairfax Town Council split over whether or not the resolution would make the debate on the project more divisive.

“It sets a bad tone,” said Mayor Larry Bragman.

The resolution called for the debate to be “civil in tone, respectful of the applicants’ and public’s rights, and remain free of all acts of intimidation.” However, it also specifically called out opponents of the Terrapin Crossroads project as using tactics that would make Phil and Jill Lesh feel intimidated and unwelcome.

That, said a number of people in the audience, wasn’t fair.

At the heart of the debate was an incident that led the Leshes to pull their proposed Terrapin Crossroads music venue before its first public hearing. According to Jill Lesh, signs saying “Stop Terrapin” were placed exactly along Phil’s morning walking route in Ross – suggesting that someone knew where Phil walked each day. Additionally, flyers were posted on cars at St. Rita’s and a petition was presented to the Leshes.

Ross Police Chief Erik Masterson said there was no vandalism but a number of signs posted on telephone poles. No police report was filed.

The story, though, got passed on and rumors arose and it became, what Bragman called, “triple hearsay.” Because no police report was filed and no photographs were taken, people were also unsure about what exactly was on the flyers.

By calling out this specific incident in the resolution, a number of opponents of the project said that it was biased in favor of the Leshes and seemed to criticize all opponents of the project.

“Painting with a broad brush every opponent as being intimidating or terrorizing or creating an unwelcome feeling isn’t fair,” said Vice Mayor Pam Hartwell-Herrero.

A number of residents who live near the proposed project and have been vocal critics said they had also been yelled at or felt threatened by Jill Lesh.

Adrianne Peixotto, whose first concert was the Grateful Dead, said Jill called her cell phone and yelled at her, calling her a ring leader with a mob mentality, and accusing her of posting the flyers – which she said she didn’t know anything about.

“I think the resolution is great, but it needs to be generic without names, because it does feel accusatory,” said Peixotto.

The council discussed removing references to the Leshes and this specific project from the resolution, making it simply a call for civility, but David Weinsoff, who brought the resolution forward, asked for a vote as it was written.

“I’m greatly afraid this might be the beginning of a slippery slope,” said Weinsoff. “I want to nip this in the bud.”

However, Weinsoff was the only one who voted for the resolution. Council Member Lew Tremaine, who had originally said he supported it, abstained from the vote. Council Members Hartwell-Herrero, Bragman and John Reed voted no.

"This is a delicate point [in the discussion]," said Bragmen, who thought passing the resolution and specifically calling out opponents of the project could further raise hostilities around the project.

I have a friend who's a councilman in the town of Clarence (upstate NY near Buffalo). This year their council refused to allow somebody a license for a fireworks show. My friend said at that meeting that he would reconsider his decision if the nasty signs (also tactfully placed) were taken down.

Well my friend got in some hot water, apparently the comment was in violation of the US constitution and the other side engaged a constitutional attorney.

It's kind of boring, but you can read more by searching on google (this happened this past June / July)

To mandate no protest signs is against the US constitution. Perhaps condoning it is legal, if condemnation is simply a statement that they think it's not nice. So I believe Phil and Jill have to deal with the signs and probably the handouts. Now if they are threats, that's a different matter. I am not an attorney but I believe that's assault and / or battery.

That's the same reasons the Nazi's hold marches in towns populated by Holocaust survivors. The majority of people do not like the Nazi marches, but the law protects everybody's rights. Not always popular.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: DancingBear
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#56286 3 years ago
Thanks for posting.

Balanced article, with the possible exception of the part about the woman saying Jill Lesh called and shouted at her.

Would have at least liked to have seen an effort made to get Jill's comment.

A simple, efforts to reach Jill Lesh for comment were unsuccessful.......would have sufficed. If, indeed, that effort were made.

As much as I love Phil and the idea of Terrapin Landing. I do understand the feelings of the community who oppose it, as expressed so far.

MESSAGE TO PHIL: BUILD IT AND WE WILL COME!

Find a space close by that welcomes you (maybe even needs you for jobs) and avoid what may be a costly legal battle that tarnishes who you are and part of the legacy you want to leave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DancingBear
DancingBear
Senior Boarder

#56485 3 years ago
Terrapin--
I don't think there is much "News Reporting" any more unfortunately...i think it died with walter kronkite.

Anyway, i wonder if this is in any way holding up the dates announcement.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.
Time to create page: 2.99 seconds