• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

Re: children at shows

#56336 2 years, 11 months ago
as a confirmed bachleor, without any kids of my own, i have to say i really enjoy seeing kids at shows. as long as their parents are taking good care of them, which is the case everytime i have seen kids at a GD/ratdog/furthur show.
i do agree about the indoor/outdoor issue though. i think outdoor shows are much more kid friendly do to the amount of smoke and loud noise that comes along with indoor shows. i have seen a R. Hunter show indoors, just him on an acoustic, and it was a great envioroment for kids, i think he even did a couple "kid songs" cause there were so many kids t there. but that was a sit down eveent, not a boogie your tail off even.
so yeah bring your kids, have fun, be young, hell ive seen bobbys lil girl dancing on stage in fairy wings. it was cute as all get out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba, DeadHead420
MsJimp
Expert Boarder
I take pictures

#56402 2 years, 11 months ago
I was not attempting to be offensive. I personally do not mind kids at shows as my entire day is usually a one drink maximum and then tea service when I get back to the hotel. I am a mom and kids are fine with me. My post was more informational letting the asker know that there have been several topics posted on this issue. No opinion was offered in my previous post. Apologies to anyone put off by my original response.
Please tell Governor Christie of NJ to open the records
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadontherivet
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

#56416 2 years, 11 months ago
MsJimp wrote:
I was not attempting to be offensive. I personally do not mind kids at shows as my entire day is usually a one drink maximum and then tea service when I get back to the hotel. I am a mom and kids are fine with me. My post was more informational letting the asker know that there have been several topics posted on this issue. No opinion was offered in my previous post. Apologies to anyone put off by my original response.

I didn't think you were offensive at all. My rant was more at others before they even post on this topic. I've seen this topic on the Zone and it tends to shine a light on the jerks of the world.
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
FaceOnMars
Junior Boarder
Listen To The Flower People

#56521 2 years, 11 months ago
Regardless of the intent of the thread, ten dollars says it evolves into the age old debate ... it's just a hot button issue which spans a range of situations possibilities ... some of which are OK, others which might not be.
DeadHead420
Platinum Boarder
More negative karma please =-)

#56523 2 years, 11 months ago
dbforej wrote:
i did actually search the archives for posts in regard and found a few hundred comments that used the term 'kid' for adults, and the word 'children' as a group salutation...

as for the parents who aren't able to care for their kids properly, that's life... we all have the ability to speak up and say something, or to mumble under our breath and shake our head as we walk away.

at Red Rocks, the ticketing age is two years old, i believe.

and to those who were enthusiastic and kind in their response, thanks, One Love, yo...

Thats redunkulous. I wouldnt pay like redrocks ticket prices for a two year old. On that note i dont have kids and/or much money hahahahha
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#56527 2 years, 11 months ago
The venue itself is not usually what I'm most concerned with...the lot on the other hand can be pretty rough.. For the most part people love kids and are glad you brought them..then there are the people who prefer you keep them home but wouldn't dare say it to you..then there are the folks passed out in a K-hole..they don't say much....this is only down one row in shakedown..when you get to the other side you pass the guy selling herion and a couple more people who are glad you brought your kids and you might even pass another family with thier kids..but the fun comes when you get near the tanks of N2O..thats a fun crowd yay...everyone scurry for a $5 balloon...fights break out ect.....

All that said...the good the bad and the ugly...we still bring our kids when we can
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
kfender
Gold Boarder

#56532 2 years, 11 months ago
281758_2295672750291_1203242129_32800622_3732216_n_2011-09-09.jpg

262488_2295580867994_1203242129_32800524_6380531_n_2011-09-09.jpg

250354_2295590948246_1203242129_32800528_4890154_n_2011-09-09.jpg

197708_2295594188327_1203242129_32800533_5159740_n_2011-09-09.jpg

Here is my 3 year old daughter Riley at the CMAC show this summer.I had to pay for her ticket by the way
The following user(s) said Thank You: wngfan, Abba
DancingBear
Senior Boarder

#56536 2 years, 11 months ago
Abba wrote:
The venue itself is not usually what I'm most concerned with...the lot on the other hand can be pretty rough.. For the most part people love kids and are glad you brought them..then there are the people who prefer you keep them home but wouldn't dare say it to you..then there are the folks passed out in a K-hole..they don't say much....this is only down one row in shakedown..when you get to the other side you pass the guy selling herion and a couple more people who are glad you brought your kids and you might even pass another family with thier kids..but the fun comes when you get near the tanks of N2O..thats a fun crowd yay...everyone scurry for a $5 balloon...fights break out ect.....

All that said...the good the bad and the ugly...we still bring our kids when we can

Thats the reason why we haven't brought our kids to shows. My kids are extreamly inquisitive and I can just hear my daughters 1st in a long line of questions......"Whats that smell?"
Can't talk to you without talkin' to me. Were guilty of the same ol' things.
wngfan
Junior Boarder

#56960 2 years, 11 months ago
IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg
Cornjulio
Junior Boarder

#56978 2 years, 11 months ago
I've taken my kid to many a show, and I love it. However, I will be the first to tell you that there are some venues that are much better than others, and some towns that are much better than others.

Shows with GA/lawn areas you can always get to are the best. However, that's not always the reserved seat GA floor deal like this tour. Eventually they want to see something ff you're on the floor, and if you're in a restricted seat, it's inevitable they need to take their stroll. Comes with the territory. Backstage can always be a fun spot...if it's open.

Saturday/Sun nights bring the most spun crowd for sure, as folks have had all day to party. Things just happen. Friday's are good since there's no school the next day, and there tends to be less time for tailgating.

I've been known to target sections in a where I think I might be able to get the first row or two of the section. Might not be the closest, but..The less they see what the crowd is doing, the better, and the more they can see.

The last year I have noticeably reduced the shows I've taken him to now that he's 9. It's the perfect storm age of being aware of everything, questioning, and not really ready to embrace the logic of a somewhat alternative lifestyle compared the the propaganda that is ofter force fed from certain school programs. Those type of talks are another couple of years away. Then again, I took him to Bear's picnic and it went smoother than smooth. However, he definitely noticed all the vendors with glass. I also have the complication of an ex wife that once threatened testing in a custody battle. I won, we share 50/50, and while the relationship is most cordial and he's doing phenomenal, discretion is the better part of valor.

Currently debating whether to take him to SCI at the United Palace. Fact is that band moved him more than even "Uncle Jerry" when he was a kid, and he still likes them now. Thanks for reminding me to fire off a letter to the UP. I just need to know how tight security is there. I have front row, and if they are pretty tight, he will see nothing but the band and dig it. If it's a free for all, he'll be dealing with wingnuts knocking him around right up front. I don't care that much either way. Would love to bring him, but not if it's a major hassle.

Not gonna bring him to any Furthur shows this time I don't think. AC is no place for a kid in the winter period. Not much on the Boardwalk and it's the hardcore gamble crowd this type of year. If I do Portland and Amherst, it's too far a haul. Maybe if I blow those off for WB. MSG is a block from my office in midtown and not gonna haul back to LI to get him. Nope, already arranging those to weekends for mom. Sometimes divorce has it's advantages big time LOL. It's like my woman and I have the perfect nanny .

The folks in the "a show is no place for a kid period" crowd are absurd. It's about the parenting and attention span. To be sure, they're are plenty of wookies with their cubs that shouldn't even have a kid, no less a puppy, in the first place. Same as it ever was.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iamthedoor
Time to create page: 0.56 seconds