Last night the GD channel played a show from 6-28-1976 and during set II (from Dancing to Round N Round) I realized I think Donna was singing better than Bobby. Plus she knew when to sing and when to let Bobby sing. I understand maybe "better" was a poor choice of words on my part, but she certainly sang with feeling and real soul.
Her vocals reminded me of the interplay between the guitarists, weaving in and out of each other. Her singing and Bobby's seemed to do the same.
I always hear that Donna should have shut up and let Bobby sing, and when she howls I sometimes agree. But I wonder if she should have been given more singing roles. I <think> I wish I had the opportunity to see her sing and spin with the dead. And this is no knock on Bobby, I lcve everything he does, fluck ups and all.
www.archive.org/details/gd1976-06-28.sbd...miller.112296.flac16 <-- link to the show
Prior to 1970, she had worked as a session singer in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, appearing on songs by Elvis Presley and Cher. (MY COMMENT - that's the real deal)
With other artists
Donna Godchaux (née Donna Thatcher) has contributed background or lead vocals on many albums by different artists.
* From Elvis in Memphis – Elvis Presley – 1969
* From Memphis to Vegas/From Vegas to Memphis – Elvis Presley – 1969
* 3614 Jackson Highway – Cher – 1969
* Boz Scaggs – Boz Scaggs – 1969
* Ton-Ton Macoute! – Johnny Jenkins – 1970
* Ace – Bob Weir – 1972
* Demon in Disguise – David Bromberg – 1972
* Gypsy Cowboy – New Riders of the Purple Sage – 1972
* The Adventures of Panama Red – New Riders of the Purple Sage – 1973
* Tales of the Great Rum Runners – Robert Hunter – 1974
* Tiger Rose – Robert Hunter – 1975
* Reflections – Jerry Garcia – 1976
* Cats Under the Stars – Jerry Garcia Band – 1977
* Here Goes Nothing – Zero – 1987
* Laughing Water – Jazz Is Dead – 1999
* Don't Let Go – Jerry Garcia Band – 2001
* Worcester, MA, 4/4/73 – New Riders of the Purple Sage – 2003
* Theatre 1839, July 29 & 30, 1977 – Jerry Garcia Band – 2004
* Warner Theatre, March 18, 1978 – Jerry Garcia Band – 2005
* For Rex: The Black Tie Dye Ball – The Zen Tricksters and various artists – 2006
* Bay Area, 1978 – Jerry Garcia Band – 2009
May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you