• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wngfan
Junior Boarder

Lot scene, furthur compared to grateful dead

#55785 2 years, 7 months ago
My wife was commenting at the shoreline shores that the parking lot scene was a lot "darker" than back in college when we went to a lot of GD shows (late 8'0's/early 90's). What she meant is that people seem a little more downtrodden, more on edge, less at ease than the "old days". In think it has something to do with being older, but when she said it I flashed to memories or tons of cheerful people, tons of tie dye, people making music every third car, a lot of hack sack and frisbee... not a lot of stress in the air, and more bright smiling faces.. At Shoreline, it seemed more like sullen faces, dark clothing colors and a lot more shady attitudes.

Has the scene changed or have I just gotten old and jaded? I think it is important to note that inside the venues, the crowds bring that positive attitude that we have always known and loved, but the parking lot scene just seems less uplifting than it was 20 years ago.
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

Re: Lot scene, furthur compared to grateful dead

#55787 2 years, 7 months ago
If you compare them...one sucks ass and the other is the most wonderful thing infiniti. So dont compare them...its all the same dream. In the secret space of dreams, where i dreaming lay amazed, where the secrets all are told and the petals all unfold.
Follow the signs to terrapin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadontherivet
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#55788 2 years, 7 months ago
"has the scene changed, or have i got old and jaded?" No, your not jaded, a man by the name of Jerry garcia passed away and a huge mass of magic was lost, thats all. Smiling faces are great to see and with or without Jerry, a smile is a universe of magic made. "I'll walk you out in the morning dew my honey, I guess it doesnt matter anyway."
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

#55805 2 years, 7 months ago
The clothing has changed, but for the most part it is the same. Most of those "shady" kids are great people. I am happier walking down lot than any suburban mall on this country. The smiles are real, and 99% of the people are amazing.
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DancingBear
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#55806 2 years, 7 months ago
It's better than nothing.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
DL1943
Junior Boarder

#55813 2 years, 7 months ago
i just wish fast eddie would leave me alone.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#55941 2 years, 7 months ago
i have never attended a grateful dead show, been to 72 furthur, and over 150 of the other incarnations combined....

let's put it this way, grateful dead lots were less patrolled (in many cases, not all, sometimes worse from what i've read/heard) people were free to make their livings on tour without many of the hassles people encounter today...i can't begin to tell you how many shows i've seen in the past several years where the lot was completely infiltrated and shut down by police..what about overnight camping at many shows later on?? i can't even imaghine some of these 2-3 night stands where you can just camp right there..furthur festival was about as close as we'll get...and monterey this year..i didn't have to be at one to have that be a no brainer question...i'm not knacking the furthur lot i enjoy it but i don't "do the lot" like i used to a long time ago anyways...it is nice to hit each lot for it's unique vibe and style to the scene..same people, different location, very interesting to observe

it's still fun and sure as hell the closest it's gonna get for me and many of you, so i'll see ya out there...leavin in 10 days for the west cost
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#55942 2 years, 7 months ago
DL1943 wrote:
i just wish fast eddie would leave me alone.

he has been pretty sick for a while been laid up i have barely seen him in a couple years, somehow that feels like a good thing
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#55946 2 years, 7 months ago
Furthur is much less known than the Grateful Dead so by definition there are fewer followers, fewer freaks, calmer environment. I suppose the new band weeded out a lot of fans who were not hardcore. Don't forget it went Grateful dead to the dead, other ones, Warlocks ?? --> furthur. And some combinations weren't as good imo.

Right after in the dark (1987 ??) IMO the scene got a little too crazy. Everyone went to every show - tickets or no tickets, and there were tons of new fans. I remember plenty of people scheming to break into more than one show. If one person tries to sneak in under a fence I understand, these were masses screaming to storm gate B at 7:00 and they were not kidding. Led to some violent ugly stuff.

The crowds were so out of control the band was prohibited from playing in many venues and they used to plead to us fans to stay home if we didn't have a ticket. That didn't work too well. Their sound engineer Healy even tried transmitting the shows live over low frequency FM so people could hear the show from hotels, etc (I know he did that at least once in Hartford Ct). But that failed too, crowds were crazy.

I suppose my point is the crowds were much larger by the late '80's early '90's. So if there were 10X the freaks, and if they were 1/2 stoned or drunk it was much crazier. They would sell out Giant Stadium (50,000 seats I think with the floor). I don't think furthur could do that.

And yes, cops used to worry about the real problems (I think) which is not busting a kid for selling a neckace or a t-shirt.

I also thing the drug of choice may have changed a bit. At Mann Center 2011 there were people were selling extasy and MDI (?) - I don't really know what it is, but I suspect different than doses or shrooms.

Guys doing and especially selling N2O seem to be a bit darker nowadays, not like I recall from the scene in the grateful dead movie.

So to make a short story long I think it's the sheer numbers that make this combination seem more mellow. As individual deadheads there are still plenty of newbies, plenty of older guys and gals and everything in between. Same as it always has been.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: nastero
Gr8fullBear
Junior Boarder

#55960 2 years, 7 months ago
My wife and I saw the same thing you guys saw of the current scene. We went to the SC show. We had not seen a show since the first post '95 tour. I wondered if maybe it was just the location.
I was really let down that there was'nt a drum circle. Huge drum circles and camping after the shows..... Always a blast!
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds