• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

Trippin at a show.

#55784 2 years, 7 months ago
Most of the shows I've gone to I've either dosed or took some mushrooms. I've only been to about 50 or more. I do love it most of the time. The thing is though now I like the trip when it's like an hour before the show starts. I love the parking lot when trippen. It's fun to go get all kinds of goodies and talk to everybody. Then they open the doors and you kinda feeling your doses and you run for the best seat and your son happy to be there. Given hugs to your neighbors and you start really feeling come on. And you just start tripping out more, looking at everybody and of course I'm like dam I've seen a million dead shirts but I've never seen that one and that one and that one ect. So then the music startscand it's going all so good. Then you start peeking a little. Well right there I usually wish I can turn it off cause I'd rather be sober when there playing. Sober I can feel the music and got better rythem. Then when intermission comes then I love to really trip. And after the show I love trippen in shakedown. I don't know I think that stuff takes a toll after awhile on my head also.how donyou guys feel about trip pen at a show.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
wngfan
Junior Boarder

Re: Trippin at a show.

#55789 2 years, 7 months ago
When I see furthur, I feel like I am tripping even if I am not. I usually smoke between 6 to 10 joints though (mostly first set) so go figure. . I understand what you are saying though, the music is so good I don't wanna be too fucked up to enjoy and remeber it. (I can't remember exactly which grateful dead shows I have seen).
BigBabyViper
Junior Boarder

#55796 2 years, 7 months ago
to me there is nothin better then the feeling of being totally in sync with the band, that feeling that your energy is helping shape the flow even if just a little. i def prefer being high at a show to anything else even if im too spun to remember what songs were played just cuz of that experience and feeling, but even sober you still cant beat the energy those boys are throwin down
It never got weird enough for me -Hunter S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DancingBear
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#55800 2 years, 7 months ago
BigBabyViper wrote:
to me there is nothin better then the feeling of being totally in sync with the band, that feeling that your energy is helping shape the flow even if just a little.

I hear that.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: DancingBear
DL1943
Junior Boarder

#55811 2 years, 7 months ago
23, i am pretty much the opposite. i have tripped at most every show ive gone to and always find it impossible to communicate with people after i have ingested psychedelics. i stay sober, maybe smoke my usual herb, and go out and meet people, sometimes sell my wares, and watch the weirdos in the lot, take my doses a half hour or so before going in, let things get weird while going into the venue coming up, and when the music hits the psychedelics it takes my mind to a whole nother realm. there are sounds that seem physically impossible to make happening...i call the most intense of these phenomena the "hyperdimensional train made of wind chimes barreling into my face" effect. the music touches me so deeply i enter into gentle egolessness quite often. then setbreak, or the show ends, and people come up to me and want to toke some herb with me, or ask me how i liked that "killer fuckin' 'eyes' maaaan"...i dont even know the names of the songs at that point or have any idea what they played. i usually piece together the setlist in my head a good half hour to an hour after leaving the show...right when i get out im usually so mindfucked i dont know what was played. i usually just stare wide eyed at people and go "yeah...yeah...oh...uuuh", although i was tripping pretty hard at the marin symphony show and found the composure to dance around like a leprechaun and yell at people to come into the bushes with me so i could molest them. that was fun.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#55817 2 years, 7 months ago
this tour I realized that I can't really concentrate on the music on big doses of mushrooms, but 3 or 4 grams is right about what I want. I never want to be so fucked up where I don't remember the songs, at Jones Beach and SPAC I couldn't get into the music and couldn't even stand up at some points, but I still knew and remembered everything that was played. I like to just get a nice body high and any visuals are a plus but I tend to get less of those at shows then I do in a relaxed, private setting at home. One thing I really like about mushrooms at shows is how good I feel after its over and how wide awake they keep me for the ride home and all that. If the show starts at 8, I'll do them around 7 or a little after and then head inside. If I do to big of a dose I end up thinking of to much stuff in my head during the music (save those doses for home , but when the dose is right it can't get any better. On the right dose I feel that I enjoy and can get into the music more, then dancing to the music especially feels so good.
Kind_Head
Junior Boarder

#55837 2 years, 7 months ago
you just gotta find the stuff with the furthur bus printed on it. Then you can take as much as you want at the show without any distractions from the music. =D lol

although this spring I had some really strong paper, and the first of 2 nights the Allman brothers played down in FL.. I spent the whole entire show thinking that the band was playing for me. I had thought myself into a certain situation that made me feel quite stupid at the end of the show. Once I realized theres 30,000 people here and they obviously wernt playing for me. I mean every lick warren played.. every word Gregg sung. The lights.. the whole production was only going on because I was there! haha

My friends get a really good kick out of that one. "Is the band playing for you tonight man?" ooo hah hah!

Maybe that means im being too self centered? I dont really think so. but you know what they say. Sunlight splatters, dawn with answers. Darkness shrugs and bids the day goodbye.

My neighbor says.. "That was prolly the longest elizabeth reed I ever heard! shit went on for like 45 minutes!" I just smile and nod even though I couldnt recall one song off the setlist. I dont like getting THAT high.
Sober or not the music is usually just as good for me.
In the end theres just a song.. Its cryin' down the wind!
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#55841 2 years, 7 months ago
I saw the Grateful Dead about 200 times and JGB over 50 times. After Jerry passed, I gave it a rest for awhile but I saw probably about a dozen Phil and Friends and Ratdog shows. I would estimate that I was on acid, shrooms, x, or a combo of those three at least 2/3rds of the time. Sometimes I was high as a kite, sometimes just slightly enhanced. I was high on pot at every show, and also under the influence of alcohol, sometimes tipsy, sometimes fall down drunk.

I had a lot of fun tripping at shows and I was convinced that it made the music better most of the time. There were a few occasions, however, when I was too high to really even comprehend what was going on. I know that listening to Dead music while tripping re-wired my brain in a lasting way and connected my experience with the music to the pleasure center of my brain.

In 2008, I came to terms with my long-term alcoholism and the fact that I had become addicted to roxys. I checked myself into rehab and I've been a clean and sober Wharf Rat ever since. So, all of my Furthur shows (I've seen five) have been completely drug-free. I choose to not even smoke pot anymore. The thing this has taught me about the music and my relationship to it is that it the music itself actually gets me high. It was impossible to know this while I was using drugs and alcohol. Now, during and even after the show I actually feel high from the music. But I can still drive safely, I haven't spent all my money on beer, and I don't have a hangover the next day.

I'm interested to hear from others about this. If you've been to shows high and you've been to shows completely clean, do you still get high without drugs? Believe me, I never would have thought this was possible back in the day, but now I know that it's real--music can get you high!!
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: iamthedoor
BigBabyViper
Junior Boarder

#55849 2 years, 7 months ago
i dont feel a real high as compared to being lubricated, but completely sober, at a furthur show still takes me places and can leave me with my jaw droped i dont need drugs to be amazed but like i said before bein high and syncing up with the bands energy and realizing it, is prob one of the coolest feelings iv ever had. also congratulations on being sober and staying that way sometimes its a hard road to walk
It never got weird enough for me -Hunter S.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#55856 2 years, 7 months ago
Wharfrat I've been to about 10 shows completely sober and I get high of the music and leave the show feeling great. Only thing missing is the weirdness. I remember one show at shoreline where I had to just lay down on the grass and just clothes my eyes. I took an eighth of mushrooms and my body didn't want to move and mixed to much alcohol. But I stayed there laying thinking the weirdest shit, people steppin on me and couldn't get it toghether. Then all of a sudden I come to and I can hear fire on the mountain and told myself, you can't miss this song come on get up and shake it off. All you got to do is start dancing and you will be alright. I did and the rest of the show was great. I think I even pissed my pants cause it was all wet down there, or someone spilled beer all over me. I know I do get more high off the music than any drug. I also don't get many visuals anymore at shows. Why?
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Time to create page: 1.02 seconds