• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
guitargeorge
Junior Boarder
Look at it right!

Message for tomtaliman (LONG)

#54947 2 years, 10 months ago
I have a lot of respect for indigenous cultures. For my last job, I managed a youth suicide prevention program in Northwest Alaska. We served the Inupiaq Native Alaskans (part of the Inuit people). Alaska native youth (males) have the highest suicide rate in the world. I've witnessed first hand the damage done to this culture via colonization and assimilation.

When we post on these boards, there is energy behind our words. I feel it and I’m sure most do. I sense anger behind your words. If I can look within carefully and bravely, I find that underneath anger is pain, raw pain, that I wish to avoid, and then it expresses itself as anger.

No question that the white Europeans came to Turtle (Terrapin?) Island and committed atrocities towards the Native People. We humans have a long history of conflicts, killing, raping, stealing, etc.

One way or another, this darkness got to give.

For the record, I am sorry, and I apologize, for any wrongdoing by me or my ancestors, towards you or anyone, or anything.

I am one among many who believe we are in the midst of a major shift in consciousness. We have a choice: evolve or self-destruct. Generally, indigenous cultures have a rich wisdom to teach the modern people who have forgotten about it. Examples: respect…not just for other people, but for the land, the animals, the earth, and the sky. The idea of “ownership” of land did not exist. Grandmother Earth is a gift from the Great Spirit Creator Grandfather.
Other values include sharing, cooperation, respect for elders, responsibility to tribe, humility, avoiding conflict, spirituality, and humor.

Part of this shift in consciousness is a shift in our understanding of identity. Eventually we all will realize that we are one with the universe and conflict becomes absurd. In the meantime we move step by step. First identifying as a separate individual (egocentric), then to identifying with a group (could be family, tribe, nation, religion, race, gender-any of the subgroups of humanity, including deadheads) (ethnocentric), and then to world-centric. At the world-centric level, one identifies with the whole human race and is a citizen of the Earth, not some country.

Wind in the willow's playin' "Tea for Two";
The sky was yellow and the sun was blue,
Strangers stoppin' strangers just to shake their hand,
Everybody's playing in the heart of gold band, heart of gold band.

I say I am a Native. I am a Native of the Earth, of the Cosmos even. Diversity is seen as a great blessing. There are many kinds of food, many kinds of animals and fish, many kinds of flowers and insects, many kinds of land, many kinds of music and art, many kinds of people, many different and beautiful faces. What a blessing. What if there was only one kind of everything? The rich diversity of creation is a blessing, not something to fight about.

I do not know you or your story, but we as a human race must move forward and heal collectively. I believe that Grateful Dead music is part of that healing and helping with this shift in consciousness. It’s in the lyrics, in the music, and in the community…we learn…love is a better way. Sometimes you get loved-blessed so hard that it changes you. You no longer want to hurt anyone. You understand that everything, believe it or not, is helping you grow. You release anger, accept your pain, and are grateful to be included in this grand experiment: existence.

Are you experienced? Have you ever been experienced? Not just stoned…but… Beautiful…

The internet is a pretty interesting mirror for humanity…there is a wide diversity of consciousness. You can find very negative sites and posts, or very positive, and everything in between. We get to choose how and where to participate.

This Furthur Forum is for building community among people who love this music. It does not matter what race, religion, gender, age, nationality, or social-economic status anyone is. You see the whole gamut at shows. This music is healing and uniting people and perhaps preparing us and inspiring us towards a better way of living…that corresponds with indigenous values of respect for all and respect for Earth and nature.

We all are at different points on our journey. It’s not a competition; no one is more important than anyone else.

Please don't dominate the rap, jack, if you've got nothing new to say.
If you please, don't back up the track this train's got to run today.
I spent a little time on the mountain, I spent a little time on the hill
I heard someone say "Better run away", others say "better stand still".

Now I don't know, but I been told it's hard to run with the weight of gold,
Other hand I have heard it said, it's just as hard with the weight of lead.

Who can deny, who can deny, it's not just a change in style?
One step down and another begun and I wonder how many miles.

I spent a little time on the mountain, I spent a little time on the hill
Things went down we don't understand, but I think in time we will.
Now, I don't know but I was told in the heat of the sun a man died of cold.
Keep on coming or stand and wait, with the sun so dark and the hour so late.
You can't overlook the lack, jack, of any other highway to ride.
It's got no signs or dividing lines and very few rule to guide.

I saw things getting out of hand, I guess they always will.
Now I don't know but I been told
If the horse don't pull you got to carry the load.
I don't know whose back's that strong, maybe find out before too long.

One way or another, one way or another,
One way or another, this darkness got to give.

We want to keep the spirit here positive. It means we respect each other. If you love the music and want to embrace this community, the community will welcome you. If you don’t love the music, why would you even be here?

If you cannot speak respectfully here, then you are not welcome.

This does not mean that we agree about everything. The diversity of opinions and characters here about everything is a blessing. This is not about free speech. This is about the energy behind our communication and our intention towards building a kind community.

It's the same story the crow told me; it's the only one he knows.
Like the morning sun you come and like the wind you go.
Ain't no time to hate, barely time to wait,

Regarding this shift in consciousness, whether you are aware of it or not, a curious fact is that it is accelerating at an exponential rate. It’s going to be a bumpy ride. Native American, or if you prefer, Indian, prophecies foretell this time we are now in.

In the shadow of the moon, Terrapin Station.
And I know we'll get there soon, Terrapin Station.
I can't figure out, Terrapin, if it's the end or beginning, Terrapin,
But the train's put its brakes on, Terrapin,
And the whistle is screaming, TERRAPIN!

Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by guitargeorge.
DeadHead420
Platinum Boarder
More negative karma please =-)

Re: Message for tomtaliman (LONG)

#54954 2 years, 10 months ago
Extremely well said dude. =-D
The following user(s) said Thank You: guitargeorge, DancingBear
MsJimp
Expert Boarder
I take pictures

#54970 2 years, 10 months ago
I accidentaly flagged the main post on this thread. I am on my cell phone and pain meds for a broken ankle. Please ignore my flag. Navigating around on the touch screen on my phone sometimes is a challenge and moreso tonight..
Please tell Governor Christie of NJ to open the records
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#54977 2 years, 10 months ago
George. I admire your peaceful outlook and well thought out messages. Im not saying that's my style, just that I admire yours. I might be mistaken, but I think we have met before. I met Burt at the ambassador hotel in charleston to do some ticket deals and I believe we met in the lobby. Maybe you were traveling with him or something. If it wasn't you, it was someone who looks like you. Alrighty then, carry on my good man.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#55011 2 years, 10 months ago
greatpostgeorge
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
DL1943
Junior Boarder

#55014 2 years, 10 months ago
guitargeorge
Junior Boarder
Look at it right!

#55015 2 years, 10 months ago
neverstop66 wrote:
George. I admire your peaceful outlook and well thought out messages. Im not saying that's my style, just that I admire yours. I might be mistaken, but I think we have met before. I met Burt at the ambassador hotel in charleston to do some ticket deals and I believe we met in the lobby. Maybe you were traveling with him or something. If it wasn't you, it was someone who looks like you. Alrighty then, carry on my good man.

neverstop66-I remember you and yes I was traveling with Burt. Thanks for your comments.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#55070 2 years, 10 months ago
Right on. We are really are in the midst of a shift in consciousness. I'm grateful to be aware of this and to be on that path. The only thing I would add to your wonderfully well-thought-out post is that at the base of anger is pain, as you mentioned, but at the base of that is fear. Fear is the opposite of faith. Humans need to place their faith in a higher power in order to eliminate the fear that creates pain, anger, violence, hatred, etc. That higher power can be of our own conception. What one person calls God, another may call the Great Spirit, or Mother Nature, or even our Higher Self. The important thing is that we all realize that we are part of this higher power and that it unites us. That's pretty much what you said in your post, and I applaud you for it. For us on this forum, we are united by a love of this music, which is part of a higher power and part of our collective path towards the new consciousness. See you at Red Rocks!!!
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: brokenarrow, guitargeorge
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds