• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
jbeach12078
Junior Boarder

Re: Whats the song Dark Star all about?

#55244 2 years, 11 months ago
its about everything and anything....my favorite tune.
mrh
Junior Boarder

#55245 2 years, 11 months ago
It's about a star. And it's really dark.
The following user(s) said Thank You: captaintony, Sharicee
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#55246 2 years, 11 months ago
dude i used to wonder wha tit ws about, the only way to find out is to take like 500-1000 mikes of good clean lsd and hope to god you catch furthur on a good night where they not only bust it out, but wrap an entire set around it.until this happens, you shall never know.
Deadwanderer
Junior Boarder

#55286 2 years, 11 months ago
illuminaughty wrote:
dude i used to wonder wha tit ws about, the only way to find out is to take like 500-1000 mikes of good clean lsd and hope to god you catch furthur on a good night where they not only bust it out, but wrap an entire set around it.until this happens, you shall never know.

I saw Jer and the boys play Dark Star on way more than 100-1000 mics many many times.
Anyhoo, dont get me wrong, I wasnt trying to make a GD/satanist statement , or any crazy shit like that.
Its just, one night I was really high and was reading Miltons Paradise Lost whilst listening to some version of Dark Star, and it hit me, bam, this correlates quite a bit ...hmmm ...far out man !
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#55371 2 years, 11 months ago
Dark star es muy bueno - garcia el conquerer la dark starr
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#55419 2 years, 11 months ago
I think it's a statement about Darth Vader and the Death Star, even though this was years before Star Wars. I also think Dark Star is really George Lucas' brown eye.
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by captaintony.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sharicee
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#55728 2 years, 11 months ago
Deadwanderer wrote:
The fall of Lucifer,the Dark Star perhaps .
Dark Star crashes (Lucifer cast out of Heaven into the bowels of earth ) all Angels in Heaven were referred to as Stars ,thus Lucifer, the Dark Star .
Pouring its light into ashes, Heaven/Hell (light/ashes)
Reason tatters
the forces tear loose
from the axis
1/3 of the host of Heaven rebelled against God , their reason in tatters they tore loose from the axis, God...
crazy shit man...

I would have a hard time beleiveing either Garcia or Hunter could sing a song about lucifer. I can understand your point, and it's not bad, but I think Garcia, who seemd to have qualms about the name of their band as a bad omen, would make a song about/celebrating lucifer. Garcia called himself the "troubled catholic". I doubt he'd take that angle in ANY song. Friend of the devil doesn't glamourize the devil, it shows how having him as your friend will not be a good thing.

I would think that the idea behind the song is to enter a phantasmic world (Garcia loved sci fi) by use of a certain type of drug- the entheogen, and the result is that our minds, reason, become an imploding dark star.... where light and reason are in tatters.... but out of it comes this mind altering jam.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#55738 2 years, 11 months ago
[
I wish I could upload a PDF, or scan at work to a JPEG, from Reilx April '86: Robert Hunter Interview: Title of the articel is The greatest stories never told: Robert Hunter talks about the Dead's "Greatest Hits"

Dark Star- "That was the first song I wrote with the Grateful Dead. We were down in Rio Nido (California) and I heard them playing it in the hall they were going to play {authors note, that would be 1967}. I just started scratching paper and got the 'Dark Star Crashes, pouring it's light into ashes' part, and I said, 'why don't you try this with it?' It worked well and then they wanted more verses. I finished up the second set of verses back in San Francisco, I got up --- I was staying at 710 Ashbury --- one morning fairly early, about 10:30 or 11, and stumbled over to the panhandle at Golden Gate Park. I was sitting there, getting stuck on a verse, wnen along came a hippie who handed me a joint. He asked me what I was doing and I said I was writing a song called "Dark Star". He said 'Oh. That's pretty much the sory"

Guess it doesn't answer your question exactly, but perhaps adds something?

[attachment=1549]Relixcoverbandw.pdf[/attachment]
Attachments:
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#55744 2 years, 11 months ago
I see PDF's work...here's the article - it's from a 1986 Relix Magazine.. interview with Hunter on some famous songs he wrote. US Blues is funny story. hopefully it's legible and hopefully it uploads. Ladies (or guys) check out the quote on the second page from the official book of deadheads
Attachments:
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#55888 2 years, 11 months ago
Hey that Hunter article was great. Thanks for sharing!!!
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds