• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

ruby throated hummingbird

#54037 3 years, 2 months ago
just spotted one going to the flowers on my butterfly bush very cool never saw in real life before www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/ruby-throated_hummingbird/id
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by 83msg1sttyme.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
MWoods
Junior Boarder

Re: ruby throated hummingbird

#54060 3 years, 2 months ago
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#54061 3 years, 2 months ago
mine was female
MWoods
Junior Boarder

#54064 3 years, 2 months ago
Ah yes, with the white throat. They are amazing little birds.
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#54116 3 years, 2 months ago
I have only seen calliope hummingbirds here. The rubythroated ones are very beautiful.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#54127 3 years, 2 months ago
Hey 83, if you saw one in the garden you'd be sure to get some if you put up a hummingbird feeder. They're easy to maintain, and if you hang it right outside a window, the kitty will love watching it, too. The hummers will remember and come back every year. I know I need to get mine out the spring because they start hovering outside the window! : )

forumhummer.jpg
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#54192 3 years, 1 month ago
Nice sighting..
You're making me feel lucky..I see them almost every day and they are amazing in every way. I place a ton of nectar producing plants in gardens so they come around often. I've even had to break up a couple of springtime squabbles over territory, they really go after each other sometimes.

I watched a nest last year (so damn tiny you wouldn't believe it) fill up with 3 eggs and witnessed the whole cycle, mom feeding em, babies growing to maturity. The last week 1 practically had to sit on the edge of the nest it was so crowded.

If they fly close enough you get a vibration go right into your ear and through your body.

I'll try to remember to look up pics I may have taken of the nest when I get back from Strawberry Music Festival.
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#54322 3 years, 1 month ago
yeah ive been meaning to put up HB feeders i heard you have to change the nectar daily,i have trouble filling the other regualr bird feeders and the cat bowls some days the cats eat the birds oops yesterday i saw a groundhog standing onits hind legs eating an apple holding it with both hands was comical i love my backyard
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#54325 3 years, 1 month ago
83msg1sttyme wrote:
yeah ive been meaning to put up HB feeders i heard you have to change the nectar daily,i have trouble filling the other regualr bird feeders and the cat bowls some days the cats eat the birds oops yesterday i saw a groundhog standing onits hind legs eating an apple holding it with both hands was comical i love my backyard

You only have to change that frequently if its really hot. Here's the wild bird store's recommendations:

High temperatures Change nectar after
71-75 6 days
76-80 5 days
81-84 4 days
85-88 3 days
89-92 2 days
93+ change daily
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#54328 3 years, 1 month ago
i get a monthly flyer from them i like the "what to expect" wildlife wise pretty neat
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds