• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
irishqueenie
Senior Boarder
let there be songs to fill the air!!!

Re: Here's a Great Recipe for...

#53785 3 years ago
ok here is the recipe for mile high taco pie: now i use an 8x8 baking dish - but it can be doubled in a 9x13
you will heat oven to 350*
heres what you need:
taco meat (made before hand 1 pound ground beef or turkey and envelope of taco mix we use hot)
refried beans of your choice, your favorite taco sauce or salsa, taco cheese, black beans or your favorite,tortillas -we use the good size flour ones for this
ok put some taco sauce or salsa on bottom of pan spread some refried beans on a tortilla, then put the tortilla on the sauce, beans side up, then put some of the taco meat and cover tortilla then black beans then cheese, then do that all over again-3 or 4 layers depending - your top tortilla should then just get taco sauce or salsa and more cheese.
bake uncovered for 40 minutes or til hot and golden brown and bubbly!!!
you can put sour cream out for a dollup if you like.

*side note- this doesn't use all the taco meat or cheese from a big bag - you will have about 1/2 a can of each of the kinds of beans left too so you could have it again or make burritos or qusadillas with the leftovers. if you make the 9x13 version you wont have any ingredients left over.

ENJOY!
Last Edit: 3 years ago by irishqueenie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue, FurthurFlower67
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#53792 3 years ago
i love to cook and get most recipies from the net,epicurious.com rachel ray,all recipies etc i just cooked a bunch of chicken breasts sliced in half(thickness wise) seasoned with diffrent Mccormick seasonings and baked @350 for 1/2 hr i then use the chicken in salads ,sandwichs etc all week long the rest get frozen.i always make double of whatever im cooking and freeze portion sizes away in chest freezer so when i dont feel like coking i heat up my own TV dinners.my other go to is pasta you can eatit with butter,red sauce cream sauce olive oil and garlic toss in veggies ,chicken etc and your good to go
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#53796 3 years ago
I'll send a recipe for a killer poppy-seed bread soon, but I recently found a farmed fish that really tasted good.

I'm probably late to the party but in case you haven't heard about it, it is called Swai and it tastes very much like flounder. My price frozen in 2.5 pound bag was 10 bucks.

I prefer it to tilapia.

It's in catfish family, but I think it taste mild like flounder. Especially if you bread it. It is very flaky. Frozen probably takes out some firmness so don't expect to roll it, but it would work well stuffed with crabmeat if layered.

www.chefs-resources.com/Swai-Vietnamese-Swai-Fish

www.examiner.com/food-in-portland/swai-f...flakey-and-delicious

I'm sure we will soon learn that 8 year old kids are forced to work 25 hours a day to produce this fish, at which point I will no longer eat it. I've searched a little bit and haven't found anything like that.

I shop at Giant Foods. A big corporate foreign owned grocer on east coast.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#53801 3 years ago
i cant do crab meat but i stuff flounder etc with stovetop stuffing ,chopped broccoli and melted creamcheese and chives
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
irishqueenie
Senior Boarder

#53809 3 years ago
83msg- i use allrecipes alot and foodnetwork.com plus i collect cookbooks so lots of reference - i also buy meat in bulk and seperate into 1lb freezer bags i make like 3 pounds of taco meat at a time and freeze. love it when my prep is just defrosting!
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#53902 3 years ago
I collect cookbooks, too, Queenie! Although, I've had to slow down since they started to take over the house, not to mention epicurious.com is just so easy!

Here's one that's actually from Island Head, but it looks too good to sit in the word game:

The Grateful Dead Drink

1 oz. Sour Mix
1/2 oz. Gin
1/2 oz. Tequila, white
1/2 oz. Rum, light
1/2 oz. Vodka
Splash of Chambord and Blue Curacao

Mix the vodka, gin, rum, tequila, triple sec, and sour mix in a mixing tin. Strain into glass with ice. Top it off with Chambord and Blue Curacao to give it the tie dye color.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alilfurther
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#55130 2 years, 12 months ago
Turkey Chilli

1 lb ground turkey
2 turkey thighs, skinned and cut from the bone
1/2 bag each, kidney and pinto beans
2 cans diced tomato's, chili style
2 cans tomato paste
2 Serrano pepper
1 Anaheim pepper
1 green pepper
1 bunch scallion

4tablespoons
minced garlic
chili powder
dried minced onion

1 tablespoon
garlic powder
onion powder
ancho chili powder

1/2 tablespoon
cumin
coriander
turmeric
white pepper
cayenne pepper
crushed red pepper

First you have to soak the beans overnight. I like using 2 kinds of beans and 2 types of turkey. The thighs need to be skinned, but they leave enough fat to help spread the flavor of all the spices.

I start the beans and spices first. I like to let them cook in a crock pot for 3 hrs.

Then I cut up the peppers and meat, and add it all to the mix. If there's room in the pot, put the bones in too, t The tomato paste adds thickness and flavor. The fresh peppers add that kind of lively flavor. The crushed red peppers are all heat and no flavor, so they can be skipped. You can use jalapeno's if you like. Cook for 3 more hours.

This is a typical meal for me to cook. One big pot, feeds a lot of people. My problem is that only 2 of us live here, so we end up having whatever I cook as leftovers all week. Its pretty convenient as lunch or dinner. Not a ton of fat or grease, good protein, a very healthy meal. I use a little bit of a lot of spices, almost like Indian cooking. I find I don't mess it up nearly as much as I used to. This batch is going to be a little hot, you can cut back on the heat if you like. Its only good if you really like it. When one person wants it to be less hot, make it less hot, and add some Tabasco sauce to yours when its done. I also cut the peppers into rings, so they are easy to take out of the finished chili.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
Last Edit: 2 years, 12 months ago by Ossumpei.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
irishqueenie
Senior Boarder

#55644 2 years, 11 months ago
thanks for the chilli recipe i have tons - my hubby swears the turkey chilli makes him tired -just like a turkey dinner- i think it is all in his head- also hot italian turkey saugage is great too!
also chilli freezes great - i always freeze some esp if it is a good batch!! love to have that again!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by irishqueenie.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#55662 2 years, 11 months ago
That's just me throwing things together, and calling it chili. I like using turkey, less fat, lots of protein. It does not make me sleepy though.

I like the turkey sausage too, great taste, less animal fat. Really good for baked ziti, and other Italian favorites.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#55670 2 years, 11 months ago
Here's a simple zuchinni recipe which should be popping up in gardens.

Cut length-wise in half and brush non-skin side with oil, place face down on cookie sheet.
Place into a 425 degree oven for about 5 minutes, depending on size. You want it firm not sloppy (That's what she said)

Chop up the following, but not too fine. Only enough to fit on the zuch.

onions
peppers
mushrooms
tomatoes

Flip over zuchinni and place chopped veggies on top. Put favorite cheese on top of that. American melts well.

Place under broiler for 30 to 60 seconds until cheese is melted.

The result is crunchy, juicy and tasty.

You can also saute the chopped veggie medley if you prefer a bit more cooked.

Nutritious, tasty and relatively inexpensive side dish.
Time to create page: 0.66 seconds