#53626 2 years, 7 months ago
One of us, who got the big gig.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: guitargeorge, wlewis
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

Re: John K...

#53649 2 years, 7 months ago
In the lot at Simpsonville, John was just hanging out talking to people. No one mobbed him, he shook hands, let people take pictures and really did just seem like one of us who happened to have a great gig.
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#53722 2 years, 7 months ago
That's exactly my point. The guy is a Dead Head, just like the rest of us.

I feel as if he would be easy to talk to, not to busy to say howdy etc.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, Abba
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#53767 2 years, 7 months ago
i have never been in to dso, only seen them 2-3 times, and didnt hate it, just fell flat for me. so when i heard JK was playing in furthur, i wasnt too xcited, but he has def. changed my mind. he dosnt sound like the "jerry wanna-be" i thought he would, i dig that he has that S.F. sound but donst sound like hes doin straight "jerry solos", and his vocal work with furthur is less creepy than some past( rob barraco comes to mind, just sounded tooo much like jerry), he sings like JK and that i dig. i think even billy will have to reconize his ablitity sooner or later, probably already has.
i heard john was at rainbow nationals this year too, dont know ifn its true, but some friends of mine said they saw him there. he has the same "common man" feel that jerry had, without trying sound xactly like jerry.
ifn they want a band that sounds and feels like the good ol' grateful dead, they got the right man it seems.
guitargeorge
Junior Boarder
Look at it right!

#53772 2 years, 7 months ago
He sure did get the big gig, and he deserves it! Much respect for JK.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, strangerinboulder
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#53775 2 years, 7 months ago
you're right, he is living the dream...

he is ultra friendly...i've been lucky to meet him on many occasions the first time at a dso show during a setbreak he was walking around with a beer no one was saying anything but kind of looking i said what's up and we had a sierra nevada at the bar and talked about the venue...but i've seen him in several lots, checking out a lot of merchandise, one time pigpen shirts...seen him backstage at dso shows unfortunately not backstage at furthur...he is also found inside venues before hand checking out the theaters...saw him at a phish show once in 09 but didn't bother him, and a friend of mine talked to him and got a picture at one of the merriweather phish shows this past summer...

i'd love to jam with him
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
...they probably take care of themselves

#53830 2 years, 7 months ago
I met him on lot in Simpsonville on the last tour, I shook his hand and all I could think to say was "play well" I think I grinned at him a milewide and walked off... He probably thinks I'm crazy.. Not to far off..
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#53833 2 years, 7 months ago
I said hey to him on the ramp, just to the right of the stage @ Red Rocks last year about an 1 1/2 before the show. He reciprocated. I also had the same opportunity at the first, last, + only "Dancin' In The Streets Festival" in August of '09.
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#53844 2 years, 7 months ago
i met him after his solo show at the 8x10 in baltimore last april, he was a really nice guy. I told him i came all the way up from wilmington,nc to see him play and he looked at me like i was crazy and laughingly said "no shit". He was pretty caught off guard by that but it was well worth the 8 hour trip one of the most memorable shows i've been to (couldn't have been more than 150 people there)
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#53857 2 years, 7 months ago
When we told him that we drove from RI he had the same response
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
Time to create page: 6.25 seconds