• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

My brother beats his dog

#53359 2 years, 7 months ago
He did this in front of my young son. Pissed me off. Should I blow him in to the SPCA?
Chester
More or less in line

Re: My brother beats his dog

#53360 2 years, 7 months ago
Being that he is your brother, you should try and confront him, to make him realize what he's doing is wrong.
At least try that first.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#53365 2 years, 7 months ago
I don't know how young your son is, but if he is old enough to understand, at a minimum I would explain to your son that beating an animal is not acceptable behavior.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#53366 2 years, 7 months ago
Reminds me of my wife, she was brought up (in South America) believing that you need to spank your kids from time to time, which makes me crazy whenever I see it. I do not like to speak badly about my wife to my daughter, but whenever I see her hit my daughter I always intercede, even if the kid is wrong. Even if it's a swat on the butt, if done in anger, it is wrong (IMO).

I must have explained this a dozen times to my wife, but she either will not or can not change. I am all for punishment, just not physical.

So now that my daughter is older, I have explained to her that imo hitting is not acceptable behavior. I am truly concerned that my daughter will think this is acceptable behavior and continue to pass it along.

mrh
Junior Boarder

#53372 2 years, 7 months ago
I would at least call the SPCA and explain the situation without using names. Just ask what can be done. Then consider what to do. Think of it this way. The dog doesn't deserve to be beaten, whether it's in front of your son or not. And it is, correctly so, against the law. I was once in a public park and I watched a guy just wail on his dog for barking. I made a very big, loud scene to get him to stop and then I called the police. Never regretted it. I understand that this is your brother and not a complete stranger and that matters, but on the other hand, it doesn't make any difference to the dog being beaten.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#53386 2 years, 7 months ago
I'm not saying its the right thing to do, but my first reaction would be to go to my brothers house and kick his ass. I would NOT call the SPCA as they will take the dog and your relationship with your bro is f'ed forever. A little ass kicking and he can lick his wounds and think twice about hitting the dog again..... and he probably would tell you you were right if he has any sense. --* Note people prone to violence against animals are NOT someone I would want my kids around unsupervised. Whatever you decide don't ignore it... A. Its not right to abuse animals B. To do it in front of a young child makes it even worse... it affected your kid enough that he/she immediately told you....even at their young age (I'm assuming) they know its wrong and probably scared the f out of him/her.
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Walk in the Sunshine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420, scar1et_f1re
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#53390 2 years, 7 months ago
Bakes, PLEASE get that dog out of the house and to a safe place somewhere, as soon as possible!! And the next worry is, if he's willing to abuse the dog, it's a only short step to hitting his spouse and child. I know it's hard to confront family, but please exercise some tough love with your brother before there's a major tragedy! I'm sure that's not a regret you'd want to live with forever. Good luck!
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#53391 2 years, 7 months ago
Dude that's nothing compared to my brother. He sent this demented email to everyone in his family accussing our older brother of molesting him 30 years ago and threatening legal action against anyone who talked about it. We all wondered why he was lying and starting shit about if 30 years later. Or why he didn't confront his brother and not try to drag everyone else in? I saved that email and read it every once in awhile wondering why he sent that to everyone and then figured it was just to hurt him. He has a history of trying to drag people into everything and lashing out on the internet so I shouldn't have been surprised. I dont even like my older brother but that's fucked up. Anyway, I have had dogs my entire life. One time when my German Shepherd was almost 1, she was acting aggressively and tried to bite a nephew who was visiting for thanksgiving or something. I disciplined her correctly but when she went to do it again I gave her a few smacks. Didn't hurt her, just scared the shit out of her. She never pulled that shit again. Its the only time I have ever had to discipline a dog that way but It doesn't make me a dog beater. You should ask your brother about it if it bothers you. We should start some brother spin off threads.lol. I've got a million stories cuz I got 4 brothers and they have done some fucked up shit. Maybe I shouldnt be sharing it on the internet though lol. My wife would put me in the dog house for months, no pun intended.
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by neverstop66.
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

#53419 2 years, 7 months ago
Okay Then! Moving on......
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#53462 2 years, 7 months ago
I am against hitting dogs too, but I've trained a few and I suspect it may be "necessary" in certain situation. Never out of anger, but as Neverstop66 pointed out, perhaps if you need to modify a dog's behavior to teach him who is the master and who is the dominant male, etc. It is not my approach, but I have been lucky and I generally have Golden retrievers, who are so docile. If you had a doberman or aggressive breed it may be a different world.

I think its horrible to do in front of a child, but there are some key missing facts (why the hitting?) before I condemn anyone.

I know when dogs poop in the house, I was taught you need to push their noses in it and give them a swat on the butt with a rolled up newspaper. I don't know if that is still what they teach people, but that is what I was taught. But I also know you must show the dog love. That is why they had us keep the dogs nose in the poop, so he knew why he or she was being punished. And I learned that in formal dog training (obedience school). I don't know if it's right or wrong.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like your brother does not love this dog.

However, it's a sticky situation .... I for one would try to get the dog out of the situation (Hopefully by teaching your bro it's wrong to hit him) but I don;t think I could turn my brother into the police / AICPA and mess up your relationship with him. I would see no problem telling your brother that you refuse to see him, and he can't see your child IF he does not cease and desist.

What really frightens me is they say anybody who can be cruel to animals has the capacity to be cruel to people. For example - people who shoot squirrels for fun or blow up frogs, or even burning ants with magnifying glasses.

Time to create page: 0.87 seconds