• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

THE most animated Jerry ever

#53091 3 years ago
for the guy who knows all the chords.........

Cocaine is a helluva drug!
The following user(s) said Thank You: guitargeorge, wlewis
mrh
Junior Boarder

Re: THE most animated Jerry ever

#53097 3 years ago
That's pretty funny. Thanks for sharing.
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#53107 3 years ago
Haha That's definitely a side of Jerry I've never seen before, thank you very much for sharing!
He went straight rock star on that song, throwing his hands up in the air, dancin around the stage, an Ye Gads I believe the man actually jumped at the end!!!
Miss you Jerry!
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#53141 3 years ago
Wow. There all jacked up. I thought they might take off like a jet withbthere instruments when the song ends. Crazy
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#53161 3 years ago
MY OH MY MY MY MY MY

The legendary Duke show.

www.dead.net/duke-university-4-12-78

From Dead.net

There are technical difficulties at start of show. Some version don't have Jerry singing Jack Straw and Dire Wolf, but this does.

www.archive.org/details/gd1978-04-12.son...miller.105875.flac16

Funiculi Funicula" tuning before "Row Jimmy"

Set List:
Jack Straw
Dire Wolf
Beat it on Down the Line
Peggy-O
Mama Tried
Mexicali Blues
Funiculi Funicula
Row Jimmy
New Minglewood Blues
Loser
Lazy Lightnin'
Supplication

Bertha
Good Lovin'
It Must Have Been the Roses
Estimated Prophet
Eyes of the World
drums
Truckin'
Wharf Rat
Around and Around

U.S. Blues

Couple of funny "reviews" from archive

Reviewer: dpphoto - - August 8, 2011
Subject: More Tales of Pots and Pans
Never was a head back then, even though I'm now newly converted, but I did happen to see this same show. So excited to see it here. I also had a bad "Pots and Pans" episode. I remember yelling out, "THIS SUCKS!!" at the top of my lungs and my wife (girlfriend at the time) saying, "Shut up! These Dead Heads 'll kill ya!". Later a good friend and my dead head mentor, Mike, told me most folks take a stroll during these types of space segments. But, there were folks dancing through that whole Pots and Pans, sheet wearin', guy with a Bozo mask thing and having a fine trip. Today, I really love that memory. -Thanks!

Reviewer: NCBrowser1959 - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - November 6, 2009
Subject: Pots and Pans...
I'm almost sure that I attended this show. I had taken something (?), and I remember sitting in the audience, absolutely paranoid about looking around. I was afraid that everyone was staring at me. The group brought out pots and pans during "Drums", and I just remember really being freaked out. I had seen the Dead a few times, but this show always stood out in my mind. I never expected to find it online! Thanks to the "Deadicated"! Jeff Brown

Reviewer: BlueMtnMan - 4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars - April 14, 2007
Subject: The Cream of '78
This is just one fine show. You will have to search '78 far and wide to find one better. Believe what the other reviewers are saying.

This show is available for download, vault remastered, at GDLive. This was originally broadcast and recorded by the Duke U. campus FM station. During a modernization project a few years later, the original tape was discovered and sent to GDP. According to the story, Phil insisted they clean it up and send it back. Now it's available for your listening pleasure.

Be sure to check out the text files. The seeder details the show like a play-by-play announcer. Prints out to about 20 pages, but quite a good read while enjoying the show.

4 stars only because of the technical problems with the vocals in the first couple of songs. Otherwise this show is a 5.

Reviewer: Evan S. Hunt - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - April 8, 2007
Subject: Lost In The Lights
Bobby and Phil chastise the Duke Univ mgmt for keeping the houselights up during their first six songs at an early spring Wednesday eve at the In door Stadium. "Turn off the Houselights, dummy," roars Phil. The crowd roars in return.

Were the lights left up for the gendarmes to nab evil cannabis smokers? I don't know, but I do know one thing, The GD were aflame with the light of inspiration and seem to ignite just about every thing they touch with fiery performances ~ even on first set songs usually left unkindled.

Reviewer: mojofish - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - November 5, 2005
Subject: Jerry's Windmills & Drum Playing
This show was great & even better if you see the video. Duke's collegiate cable station filmed this & it's a great production for the time. They used a few different angles but as mentioned it is only b/w. Jerry doing windmills? Anyone who sees that laughs with glee. How many have seen Jerry playing drums? He ignored Mickey who was reaching over Jerry's shoulder to give him a hint that he'd like to play on his set. It has been mentioned how the stadium had lots of wood paneling but much of that was from renovations after '71, though it still sounds pretty warm. When they played Duke, it was usually the opening of spring tour on the east coast & there's some great energy from the crowd. Jerry was on fire this night & the band was synched up with him.
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#53224 3 years ago
They did coke in the 70's? News to me.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#53243 3 years ago
strangerinboulder wrote:
They did coke in the 70's? News to me.

Sarcasm meter just broke. This just in .. the Pope is also catholic