• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: Opening bands suck but...

#53147 3 years, 1 month ago
i will second hot tuna, they were fun out at furthur festival and it was fun as all hell to watch jorma and jack come play for the late night all star jam...

how about instead of an opening band though we get em to kick back for an acoustic set each night, i don't care if the acoustic catalog is limited...
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#53165 3 years, 1 month ago
acoustic sets would be great .... I think Furthur only played 1 for Phil's B-day 2010? ....... was hoping for 1 at Best Buy but it was a great show anyway....
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#53171 3 years, 1 month ago
I prefer no opener. But there have been 2 shows I've seen in the last fews years where I really enjoyed the openers. Saw Moe open for ratdog in 09 and that was good. Then we saw Govt Mule open for DMB last year. That was super. I wouldn't complain if either opened for furthur as long as it didnt shorten furthur sets.
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by neverstop66.
mrh
Junior Boarder

#53194 3 years, 1 month ago
I get your drift, but I think it all depends on who the bands are and the circumstances of the gig. There are lots of headliners out there that do their "show" and that show isn't gonna change whether there's an opening act or not. Secondly, I've seen too many shows where the opening act was a band I didn't know and they made me a fan. I saw the Sons of Champlin open for Garcia/Saunders in '74. I didn't really know who they were, but I've been a big fan ever since. I saw Little Feat open for the Who, also in '74. I didn't know who they were, either, but they blew me away. Thank God I saw them that day because it turned out to be the only time I got to see Lowell George. Mose Allison opening for Van Morrison. Sting for the GD. Phish for Santana. Karl Denson for ABB. Lots of others.

I get your point, though, and I've been to my share of shows where I could have done away with the opening act. But on balance my experience with opening acts has been positive.
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by mrh. Reason: spelling
Chester
More or less in line

#53199 3 years, 1 month ago
PMoondancer wrote:
David Nelson Band

I knew you were going to say that. I will second that one. I also would love a Dylan opener. But that's about it. : )
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#53254 3 years, 1 month ago
Robert Hunter would probably be the best actually, IMO
The following user(s) said Thank You: iamthedoor
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#53256 3 years, 1 month ago
if hunter was into it that would kick ass
if we are goin not limit ourselves to smaller names i say...doc fukn watson. booyahh anybody who prefered to sit in the lot and miss him dont deserve a ticket.
DL1943
Junior Boarder

#53257 3 years, 1 month ago
id only want openers for a special occasion. JG, hot tuna, etc were nice at furthur fest but i wouldnt want to see em at every furthur show.

for a special occasion, like maybe the opening of phils terrapin landing, a bday, or NYE it would be nice to get a set of ratdog to open, then a set of PL&F, and a furthur set to close.
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds