• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
mjwhitegd
Junior Boarder

Did Phil use a Leslie in the late 80's?

#52131 3 years, 1 month ago
As I've been watching some footage of some 1989 Dead shows, I noticed that there is a stack of two Leslie speakers off to the left of the stage by Phil. Were these Phil's speakers or did they just happen to be on that side of the stage? Just curious cause I don't think I've ever heard of bass players playing through Leslies.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: Did Phil use a Leslie in the late 80's?

#52133 3 years, 1 month ago
mjwhitegd wrote:
As I've been watching some footage of some 1989 Dead shows, I noticed that there is a stack of two Leslie speakers off to the left of the stage by Phil. Were these Phil's speakers or did they just happen to be on that side of the stage? Just curious cause I don't think I've ever heard of bass players playing through Leslies.

nope they were hooked up through brents b3....added sound and i'm sure phil liked hearing it
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#52134 3 years, 1 month ago
for a very long time i wondered the same thing, and one day my question was answered
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#52135 3 years, 1 month ago
Wonder if he had them over there so he could hear Brent??

OK, thanks wlewis, that answered that! : )

-
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by SunshineSue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iraqistatefair
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#52139 3 years, 1 month ago
SunshineSue wrote:
Wonder if he had them over there so he could hear Brent??

OK, thanks wlewis, that answered that! : )

-

i bet that was a factor for sure...brent was really the furthest from phil during that time, could have easily gotten drowned out without the stacks
The following user(s) said Thank You: iraqistatefair
blues disciple
Junior Boarder

#52187 3 years, 1 month ago
As a Hammond player myself, I can say that back in the day, bands did several things with Leslie speakers. They oftentimes, for indoor stadium/arena shows would put the Leslies in a room on their own or under the stage and mic them in all directions and at different distances in order to get the full effect of the moving air/sound. Alot of time at big outdoor shows, they would use multiple Leslies and place them on both sides of the stage to get not only a stereo effect but also get more mics on the rotors. (In an outdoor setting, the sound dissipates quickly from a Leslie because the air/sound is "pushed" out at high speed from the box....making it much harder to tame and hear effectively both on stage and off-stage).

My guess is those Leslies behind Phil not only helped those on that side of the stage hear, but they also provided more opportunity for the audience and soundmen to get the full effect of the sound.

Bd
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, iraqistatefair
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#52188 3 years, 1 month ago
blues disciple wrote:
As a Hammond player myself, I can say that back in the day, bands did several things with Leslie speakers. They oftentimes, for indoor stadium/arena shows would put the Leslies in a room on their own or under the stage and mic them in all directions and at different distances in order to get the full effect of the moving air/sound. Alot of time at big outdoor shows, they would use multiple Leslies and place them on both sides of the stage to get not only a stereo effect but also get more mics on the rotors. (In an outdoor setting, the sound dissipates quickly from a Leslie because the air/sound is "pushed" out at high speed from the box....making it much harder to tame and hear effectively both on stage and off-stage).

My guess is those Leslies behind Phil not only helped those on that side of the stage hear, but they also provided more opportunity for the audience and soundmen to get the full effect of the sound.

Bd

thanks for the insight, i remember the first time i read about how those things work, my skull was blown
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#52216 3 years, 1 month ago
Pigpen used a leslie too right? But that was when the technology first appeared right?
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds