• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

Is a hurricane heading your way?

#52101 3 years, 2 months ago
Looks like its gonna be a problem for the Northeast.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

Re: Is a hurricane heading your way?

#52111 3 years, 2 months ago
I think its supose to be down to a catagory 1 or less by the time CT sees it, at least thats what they were saying this morning...
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#52158 3 years, 2 months ago
Pray for the people in the Bahamas

THE EYE OF HURRICANE IRENE IS MOVING BETWEEN LONG ISLAND AND RUM CAY
IN THE BAHAMAS
IRENE IS A LARGE TROPICAL CYCLONE. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND
OUTWARD UP TO 60 MILES FROM THE CENTER AND TROPICAL
STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 230 MILES
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 120 MPH WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. IRENE IS A CATEGORY THREE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON
HURRICANE WIND SCALE. SOME ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST
DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO AND IRENE COULD BECOME A CATEGORY FOUR
HURRICANE BY THURSDAY.
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#52184 3 years, 2 months ago
I was worried for a day and then they moved the track east. Giant storm. Looks bigger than the state of Florida itself.
LBDowling
Expert Boarder
We must become ourselves before someone else does

#52189 3 years, 2 months ago
Yeah, it's scary to watch the storm.... I know it's turning but it looks like it's heading right at us in Vero Beach. Just high winds & surf right now... More wind & rain for the next two days, then we'll fly home on Saturday just in time to greet Irene, again.
Someday, everything's gonna be diff'rent... when I paint my masterpiece
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#52190 3 years, 2 months ago
neverstop66 wrote:
I was worried for a day and then they moved the track east. Giant storm. Looks bigger than the state of Florida itself.

yeah keith you georgia and maybe charleston sc look like you'll be okay at least thats what the usatoday storm map showed me ...looks like it will rape up the east hopefully it loses some steam
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#52243 3 years, 2 months ago
A little scary here on Long Island. Allstate has been dropping everyone's home-owners insurance coverage on Long Island for a the past 3 years now, publicly stating that statistically the storm of the century is overdue to hit. Fluckers dropped my coverage last year (I never had one claim) and then they have the balls to keep sending me requests to move my auto insurance with them.

Guess I better stock up on water and read up what to do. Last one I recall on Long Island was a long time ago..thankfully no damage then. Hoping this thing tracks way east (over water). Too much guessing to get worried now, but never too early to be prepared.

Other thing....reminder for everyone is you should have emergency preparedness kits. In the back on my mind I am concerned that these extremist are gearing up for some more terror. My kit is so many years old many of the water bottles have popped, etc.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#52247 3 years, 2 months ago
Irene is passing by us here in Miami 230 some miles to the east. We're just getting a little wind and rain. The surfers here are excited by the likely big swells that should hit the Palm Beach coast tomorrow. Prayers are headed to the Bahamas and those of you from North Carolina up to New England. For those of you that haven't experienced hurricanes, please know that you may be without electricity for some time. Buy batteries for your flashlight, make sure you have a car charger for your cell phone, fill up your gas tank, buy some gallons of water and some non-refridgerated food you can eat without cooking. Another thing you can do is freeze some meat that you can thaw and grill if you lose electricity for awhile. One thing you will find that is a positive aspect is that you will get to know your neighbors better then you might have before the storm hit.
Without love day to day insanity's king
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#52249 3 years, 2 months ago
edheadwharfrat wrote:
Irene is passing by us here in Miami 230 some miles to the east. We're just getting a little wind and rain. The surfers here are excited by the likely big swells that should hit the Palm Beach coast tomorrow. Prayers are headed to the Bahamas and those of you from North Carolina up to New England. For those of you that haven't experienced hurricanes, please know that you may be without electricity for some time. Buy batteries for your flashlight, make sure you have a car charger for your cell phone, fill up your gas tank, buy some gallons of water and some non-refridgerated food you can eat without cooking. Another thing you can do is freeze some meat that you can thaw and grill if you lose electricity for awhile. One thing you will find that is a positive aspect is that you will get to know your neighbors better then you might have before the storm hit.

Speaking of surfing, if you watch real sports (on HBO on demand now) they Bryan Gumball has a spot on how many of them are meth heads and they stay up for days surfing. I never knew that.

scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#52281 3 years, 2 months ago
Hoping this does not pan out....

Be safe, and be aware

map_specnews15_ltst_4namus_enus_600x338.jpg

--

www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral...hurricane_2011-08-25

Storm Coverage
ALERTS
Heed the Warnings, Irene a Rare but Dangerous Hurricane
Updated: August 25, 2011 11:25 am ET

- Irene is a hurricane that poses an extraordinary threat and is one that no one has yet experienced in North Carolina to the mid-Atlantic to the Northeast and New England.

- We can now narrow the projected path corridor. Confidence is growing that locations from eastern North Carolina and the eastern Mid-Atlantic states to Long Island to southern New England are all in the potential path of Hurricane Irene.

- It is becoming clear that Irene's future track will NOT be a Hurricane Earl (2010) scenario where a hurricane barely brushes the Outer Banks of North Carolina then stays well offshore.

- History tells us that no category 4 hurricane has made landfall north of the South Carolina/North Carolina border. That said, some computer guidance indicates a category 4 landfall over eastern North Carolina and this solution can NOT be ruled out.

- There is historical precedence for a hurricane impacting the major metropolitan areas of the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast but these hurricanes are rare.

- However, with a population explosion along coastal areas of the Northeast during the past several decades, there is little to no precedence for a hurricane of this potential magnitude making landfall over highly populated metropolitan areas such as New York City.

- Regardless of track and intensity, confidence is growing that Hurricane Irene will cause extensive tree and power line damage. Electricity infrastructure will be greatly compromised for millions if not tens of millions of Americans.

- Recent heavy rains over parts of the Northeast, especially New Jersey, have made tree root systems highly vulnerable. Flooding rains combined with high winds will add to tree destruction.

- Extent of water level rise (surge) for local bays, inlets and sounds is dependent on the local geography however suffice to say new high water marks could be set.

- Severity of Irene's impacts are dependent on the final track.

- Please begin to think about and act on your hurricane preparations. Now is the time.

Time to create page: 0.25 seconds