• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
mattgill
Junior Boarder
Atleast I'm enjoying the ride.

Re: How long shall the songs be sung?

#52225 3 years, 2 months ago
I agree totally^^^. John, Jeff and Joe i hope start their own thing. Also with DSO still doing their thing on the side. I unfortunately was born to late, i will be 19 next month. So i hope the music stays around for most of my lifetime. I am just grateful for Bobby and Phil giving me a taste of what the GD experience must have been like. That's why i keep coming back for more, the music, the people and all around good vibes. I don't know who i would be today without the music of the Grateful Dead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell
JStraw
Junior Boarder

#52300 3 years, 2 months ago
This is an interesting topic, I've thought about it at times...

I feel that GD music has longevity, how it looks in the future is anybody's guess, but JK, Matson, Stu, etc... won't be the only guitar players (& let's face it, it comes down to that sweet soulful guitar, imho) to carry the torch. I envision a future of players playing the GD catalog for generations to come. Much like blues and such, yes, but I see it more as like classical music, with groups of songs being played by willing musicians to eager fans 300 years down the road. It has already stood well against time, look at how many people who were born in the early nineties getting into this music & culture. GD music is a solid part of Americana, and always will be. It will wax and wane in popularity, but I feel there will always be people into this music - playing it live, listening to shows, studying the music, etc.

Long Live Grateful Dead Music!!!
Those who hear not the music. . . think the dancers mad.
prasada
Junior Boarder

#52312 3 years, 2 months ago
I believe that the songs will always be sung. I was lucky to have seen 20+ shows before we lost Jerry and illuminaughty was right...so many people thought it would end there. Though now, 16 years later, the kids they still come to shake thier bones...I remember being the "baby" on the lot and I see them keep coming. Younger than my kids and truly enjoying the ride.

The Grateful Deads impact is historical and I believe that because of that the music won't ever stop.
It's an iinteresting thought to wonder if the community will live on...in some way I am sure...there will always be people like us looking for it. Before I found the Dead I felt like a lost child of the 60s...I was jealous of my parents for being there and not living it like I would have. Then someone took me to a Dead show and I saw it was alive & kicking...and I felt complete.

That being said...
The religion debate is one I try avoid. Music, especially this music, is extremely spiritual to me. I feel at peace, completely loved and in tune with nature, my brothers & sisters and a higher being when I am at a show. But that has happened to me at with other bands (esp. Clapton), at home listening alone or sometimes when just remembering.

I believe in all paths to God, and I honestly feel that "religion" gets in the way, so I use the Grateful Dead and their music to bring me closer to my personal faith; and I will continue to hope that this community grows and more people join me on that path. The journey is half the fun...and I'm always looking for new riders!
guitargeorge
Junior Boarder
Look at it right!

#52461 3 years, 2 months ago
Mozart. Bach. etc. are still performed live and listened to today. Grateful Dead music is classical rock music. It represents the best of rock music (IMO). And it's not exactly rock music but a new genre that integrates rock, blues, jazz, folk, country, gospel, bluegrass, etc., and has the unique (I think) aspect of ensemble improvisation inspired by altered (higher) states of consiousness, and the recognition of audience participation in creating the music.

The audience does this in two ways. One, by buying a ticket you are helping to make the show happen. Collectively we pool our dollars to pay the band and crew, rent the venue, pay the staff, and cover all the other expenses (transportation, equipment, infrastructure, electricity, etc.) And second and perhaps more importantly, by giving the collective energy of our attention to the music, and focusing that attention collectively, we exchange energy with the band, and they can play in ways that they could not without us and that energy exchange.

I think it works like this: the band plays music and the music serves as a focus of attention...as more and more people at a show focus their attention on the music, really listening, this gives the band energy to play even better. The band playing better causes even more people to pay attention...and the band gets more energy...and so forth...it keeps building, this energy exchange, or at least it can. Imagine if we got to 100% audience focus...every person in the building focusing there attention without distraction...that would be amazing energy and what would the band do with it? So we, as an audience have a responsibility in the evolution of this music to it's highest levels.

I believe with Furthur we are seeing the maturing of Grateful Dead music. Furthur is doing incredible versions of so many songs. Unfortunately this could not be done with Jerry. Jerry began it but could not see it to completion. In a sad way, Jerry had to die in order for Grateful Dead music to reach it's full potential.

In the future many cover bands will play Grateful Dead music...it won't be the same as the original members...that's one reason why I want to see Furthur as much as I can, while I can. Cover bands doing note for note versions will be good but not as good...just because they are copying rather than creating.

However, I think the genre will continue and perhaps evolve as new musicians build on the foundation created by the Grateful Dead and Furthur. So new original music that includes ensemble improvisation and the energy of Grateful Dead music, and the energy of audience participation will evolve. And new interpretations of Grateful Dead classics will emerge. Really there is no end to it.

I don't think of it as a religion, but it is a part of my spirituality. Going to a show is like going to church for me. The sacred tribal gathering/ceremony, the loud music, the dancing, the fellowship with fellow heads, the altered states of consciousness, the...well in short...Love/Energy. This music can be healing and transformative. You might leave a show feeling really grateful that you were able to have and share this experience...you might even end up grateful that you exist at this point in time and place to be able to participate in these shows and help make the music. And that gratefullness can get you through tougher times.

Besides the music and the fans, another phenomena is evidence of the quality and value of Grateful Dead music. That is the prolific amount of visual art that has been inspired by the Grateful Dead music and experience. All that energy is expressed through creative work.

Imagine what people will think, down the road, long after band members are gone...about how lucky the people were who could participate with the original musicians. I sure feel lucky.

I am going to miss them when they are gone.

Sorry for such a long post and thanks for reading.
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#52472 3 years, 2 months ago
Some of the musicians today will definitely carry on the torch - Jackie Greene, Railroad Earth to name just a couple, I think they get it and that's rare with the music today. People will forever be looking for something to follow, but there will never be another Dead scene.
If the music's good, it will continue. One way or another, it will find its way into someone's brain while they're testing out their new band in their father's garage.
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#52485 3 years, 2 months ago
Music is timeless. Good music will always be listened to. Other then Dead related music, + their subsidiaries, I listen to a lot of classical music. The original chamber music. I think I will fire up Shostakovich's Symphony #7. Dedicated to the citizens during the "Siege of Leningrad".
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds