• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

Re: How long shall the songs be sung?

#52145 3 years, 1 month ago
This old guy at my work says I study at the church of Jerry Garcia. It is like a church. It's a community. It's a way of life. Grateful Dead started it all. I'm too young to have experienced it but I'm a good example of the music and scene being passed down. Every jam band out there today would not be what they are today without the dead's expansion and experimentation of music. JK, Keller, and all other other young artist are going to take the torch and let make the music live. It will never die!

Dead til I die!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
terrapin_blue
Junior Boarder

#52150 3 years, 1 month ago
neverstop66 wrote:
Nobody can predict the future. As far as this music becoming a religion, that's just crazy imo. Nuff said about that.

I totally can respect that, but why not in your opinion? If the same 'words' are chanted for a long period by thousands of people for the purpose of transcendental meditation AT a live performance, what is the difference in these and scriptures? Deeply decoded stories that help you live your life. I am not advocating it becoming a typical religion or any sort of religion, but that is what it is to me and I am sure some others out there. I'm glad that it got a little discussion going.

I can one hundred percent see these songs being covered by artists A-Z in the future, and some pop (or folk, or some new form) artist doing a new rendition of the classic "lovelight" in some new style. I think they will take to traditional songs and songs a lot of people know after a little while, as how they touch certain people in such a special way.

I am just interested to see if my grandkids will know someone who is trying to catch 10 shows in a row of the new all dead 'centerpiece' as someone put it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#52153 3 years, 1 month ago
Its not a religion. Its music. The best music. Just my opinion.
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#52156 3 years, 1 month ago
edheadwharfrat wrote:
neverstop66 wrote:
Nobody can predict the future. As far as this music becoming a religion, that's just crazy imo. Nuff said about that. I like what edhead said about the music becoming its own style. Wouldn't that be cool. Jazz, blues, country, and dead.

It's already like that in my local Deadhead musician circles. I frequently put together pick up gigs with a varying cast of guys depending who is available that night. Grateful Dead music is the one thing we all know a lot of, so we tend to play mostly that. It's the type of music that doesn't require the band to have rehearsed together as long as everyone knows the chord changes, someone knows the lyrics, everyone and can listen and react to each other during the jams. In that way it's like jazz guys getting together to jam on classic jazz tunes, only it's Dead tunes. I'm sure a situation like this exists in most major metro areas across the U.S.

I like the the thought of that. Makes me smile.
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

#52161 3 years, 1 month ago
Other times I can barely see.

Just music? Now that's what I call crazy! The songs will be played for a long time. More than just a good dance beat, fo sho. Like Phil says, it is just as much about us as it is the music. That is very key to today and the future of the music.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#52175 3 years, 1 month ago
alot of people thought it would end with jerry. i think it will be lke jazz or bluegrass and will go through periods of popularity and periods of unpopularity, probably with a core fan base. I feel very lucky to have been able to see the grateful dead in 95, and then ratdog, and now furthur, and look forward to the future. i diplore this new wave of jamgrass, i prefer my bluegrass more high and lonesome than dancable. cant wait till eugene.
Lynx
Visitor

#52176 3 years, 1 month ago
Do you consider "Shady Grove" to be jamgrass?
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#52180 3 years, 1 month ago
Bakes wrote:

Just music? Now that's what I call crazy! The songs will be played for a long time. More than just a good dance beat, fo sho. Like Phil says, it is just as much about us as it is the music. That is very key to today and the future of the music.

Here we go again? I thought we had an "Agreement".
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#52181 3 years, 1 month ago
Bakes wrote:

Where did my post say just music? Is this your religion?
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#52224 3 years, 1 month ago
In practical terms, I hope JK, JR, and JC take the torch when Phil and Bobby give it up. It won't be the same. But it would still be good.

There is no doubt that the Grateful Dead's library of songs will continue on. Many are timeless. So many bands play them already that they've got momentum, as long as bands continue to jam and yahoos continue to dance.
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds