• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
terrapin_blue
Junior Boarder

How long shall the songs be sung?

#52096 2 years, 7 months ago
I'm going to try to make this about as short as I can. I have often talked about Grateful Dead as a sort of "shamanic ritual". Those of us who use it almost as a church, to lose ego in sync with the music and thousands of others. It really is a one of a kind thing.

Now, if John continues to carry the torch and sing these songs for even 20 years (which I would see every year), that will be close to 70-75 years that the Grateful Dead songs have been played. 75 years of the same lyrics guiding thousands of people to the light. Do you think that it will have enough steam to pick up another crowd at this point? Young people are always at the shows, and it isn't like you can get anything similar ANYWHERE.

So, do you think these words will continue on after John's next batch of players (if we make it that far)? At what point do we start to call it a real religion?
Lynx
Visitor

Re: How long shall the songs be sung?

#52104 2 years, 7 months ago
Do you think that it will have enough steam to pick up another crowd at this point?

Yes. Homo sapiens are adapted to have a love for music and if these songs were able to touch the hearts of people once, they will be able to do so again.

...and it isn't like you can get anything similar ANYWHERE.

Not true. There are plenty of bands producing music that is just as good and in some cases similar both musically and lyrically. More importantly, there is new music being written today that creates the same communal experience so often associated with the Grateful Dead. In fact, I think you could argue that ALL music ultimately creates that same experience. Anyway, the music is out there, you just gotta poke around.

At what point do we start to call it a real religion?

When people start believing the music is good simply because they want it to be so, stop listening with a critical ear and making the decision as to the quality of the music based upon its actual merits, and stop listening to other types of music because they assume it must be inherently inferior.
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#52106 2 years, 7 months ago
Lets face it, the saying "There's nothing like a Grateful Dead concert" will only mean something to those of us who actually got to go to 1 or 100. I will keep going to Furthur concerts because the music is superb and means so much to me but if "I was born too late" I'm not sure I would have the same religious feeling towards the music.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#52108 2 years, 7 months ago
It think it is a safe bet that people will be playing grateful dead music far beyond when all of the original members have passed on. In this way it is similar to jazz, blues or folk songs that have been played for many years, in some cases for over 100 years. The interesting question for me is whether or not there will continue to be a "flagship" band touring that serves as the "mothership" for all the Deadheads. For example, right now there are very good Dead tribute bands in almost every part of the country, including ones that tour nationally. The biggest example, of course, is DSO. There are also bands led by original members Bill Kreutzman and Mickey Hart that play some Dead material. However, I would have to say that Furthur is the "mothership" at this point for Deadheads seeking the music and the experience created by the Grateful Dead.

Once the "core four" are all dead and gone, say 20 to 30 years from now (I'm not being morbid, just sayin') I wonder if DSO will become the mothership, or some other tribute band, or if the scene will simply decentralize and be more or less how it is now, only without a Furthur or a DSO out there touring nationally and drawing big crowds.

I'm sure certain Dead classics will be standard covers for whatever jam bands are touring in 2040, and I'm sure every city wll have a Dead tribute band. I also sure people will be listening to recordings and watching video of GD shows far into the future. What I wonder is if there will be a version of Dead Tour still going later on in this century. What do you all think?
Without love day to day insanity's king
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#52126 2 years, 7 months ago
Nobody can predict the future. As far as this music becoming a religion, that's just crazy imo. Nuff said about that. I like what edhead said about the music becoming its own style. Wouldn't that be cool. Jazz, blues, country, and dead.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#52127 2 years, 7 months ago
Hey lynx there is not plenty of music that is jus as good and in some case similar. I've been going to concerts for almost 20 years and nobody puts out the same energy, music, vibes, and that are musically and lyrically like gd. And if all music creates the same experience them I would be in real big trouble. Gd has been in my life everyday. For me it's a life style. No other band has came close to that. I have gd tattoos all over my arm, I wouldn't get no other band like that on my arm if you paid me. It is my religion and when I'm at shows I'm a better person and I treat people there better than anybody on this earth. It don't know how it got like this but I know I'm not alone. After the boys are gone I will see John as much as I can. I will always be involved in anything that is GDF
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#52128 2 years, 7 months ago
edheadwharfrat wrote:
It think it is a safe bet that people will be playing grateful dead music far beyond when all of the original members have passed on. In this way it is similar to jazz, blues or folk songs that have been played for many years, in some cases for over 100 years. The interesting question for me is whether or not there will continue to be a "flagship" band touring that serves as the "mothership" for all the Deadheads. For example, right now there are very good Dead tribute bands in almost every part of the country, including ones that tour nationally. The biggest example, of course, is DSO. There are also bands led by original members Bill Kreutzman and Mickey Hart that play some Dead material. However, I would have to say that Furthur is the "mothership" at this point for Deadheads seeking the music and the experience created by the Grateful Dead.

Once the "core four" are all dead and gone, say 20 to 30 years from now (I'm not being morbid, just sayin') I wonder if DSO will become the mothership, or some other tribute band, or if the scene will simply decentralize and be more or less how it is now, only without a Furthur or a DSO out there touring nationally and drawing big crowds.

I'm sure certain Dead classics will be standard covers for whatever jam bands are touring in 2040, and I'm sure every city wll have a Dead tribute band. I also sure people will be listening to recordings and watching video of GD shows far into the future. What I wonder is if there will be a version of Dead Tour still going later on in this century. What do you all think?

i have similar thoughts as you have...i've discussed it with several people...the grateful dead is seriously going in the history books...it will be studied in terms of music...phd's of all areas will write books about it, its effects on society, it's economics both as a corporate machine and also individually for venues and cities, english majors will study the lyrics lyrics, it was truly an american institution for 30 solid years

i teach social studies and they are already mentioned in textbooks as a driving force in 1960's counterculture
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: guitargeorge
Lynx
Visitor

#52137 2 years, 7 months ago
"23atwell" wrote: Hey lynx there is not plenty of music that is jus as good and in some case similar. "

^^^One person's opinion

That great that you have found so much enjoyment in GD music, but I respectfully disagree that "...if all music creates the same experience then I would be in real big trouble." Obviously not all music creates the same experience for you... but you are not all people. Do you really think that no one out there not into the Grateful Dead can have as meaningful an experience as you do with the GD? I think that the communal musical experience is universal. I see people getting down to music I don't care for all the time, but I recognize the smile on their face and know where they are at.

^^^One person's opinion

As far as the music being your religion... if it works for you, good on ya, mate.
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by .
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#52138 2 years, 7 months ago
^^^^

you are right, people use different mediums to "get there"
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#52140 2 years, 7 months ago
neverstop66 wrote:
Nobody can predict the future. As far as this music becoming a religion, that's just crazy imo. Nuff said about that. I like what edhead said about the music becoming its own style. Wouldn't that be cool. Jazz, blues, country, and dead.

It's already like that in my local Deadhead musician circles. I frequently put together pick up gigs with a varying cast of guys depending who is available that night. Grateful Dead music is the one thing we all know a lot of, so we tend to play mostly that. It's the type of music that doesn't require the band to have rehearsed together as long as everyone knows the chord changes, someone knows the lyrics, everyone and can listen and react to each other during the jams. In that way it's like jazz guys getting together to jam on classic jazz tunes, only it's Dead tunes. I'm sure a situation like this exists in most major metro areas across the U.S.
Without love day to day insanity's king
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds