• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
guitargeorge
Junior Boarder
Look at it right!

Re: Pulling tickets off scalper sites

#54174 3 years, 1 month ago
I know the feeling of being ripped off by a scalper. Sometimes I'm willing to pay the price if I really want to see the show. The experience is more important to me than money.

But look at our whole economy...most things you buy the price has been jacked up by one or more middle people.

Somebody buys a bunch of trinkets from China for pennies and sells them for dollars to a retailer. And then the retailer sells it for tens of dollars.

Buy low, sell high, get rich. I am saying that scalping tickets is really not much different than our whole economy.

Why is selling drugs profitable?

Regarding prices, tickets really add up if you are trying to do a whole tour.

When the Grateful Dead did the 15 run show at the Warfield (holds about 2500 people?) in SF in 1980 tickets were $10.00! Recordings from these shows (and the following shows at Radio City) ended up on the Dead Set and Reckoning albums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#54175 3 years, 1 month ago
Grateful fredhead wrote:
scar1et_f1re wrote:
scar1et_f1re wrote:
nastero wrote:
scar1et_f1re wrote:
hows this for messed up? My buddy bought 4 tickets for Bono in NJ at $250 a ticket. His buddy backed out so he was stuck with 2 extra ticket. He tried desperately to sell them at and even below face, but no takers. So he put them up on stubhub as a last resort and sold them for about $500 each. He was not trying to scalp, but he was forced into it, at least per his version of the story.

Well, if he hadn't been able to sell them I would say whomever originally asked him to pick up the pair should have been on the hook for the cost. Also, while I don't know much about stubhub, I can't believe that there is a rule there that says you have to sell tickets for a profit, so him selling them for twice face is a bit greedy.

I don't know all the details, other than the other two were for his brother in law, and the person totally stiffed him (tole him to buy the tickets but apparently didn't realize it was $500 for the pair. My buddy may have been an opportunist once he put the tickets on stub hub.

I find it amazing that anybody would pay $250 a ticket. Apparently in a special place in Giants Stadium with tv's in the bathroom, a special closed bar and other nonsense not worth the extra $

I happened to meet my friend for lunch today and he told me he actually ended up "eating" the cost of the 2 tickets to see U2 - his choice. He told me he SHOULD have sold them for a mint on stubhub but he chose not to. He also confirmed you do get to name the price you charge on stub hub. He told me he once sold some Van Morrison tix on stubhub, but he asked for face + fees + a very small inconvenience fee just to sell them for a round price.

Just wanted to clarify (I passed along bad info in error b4).

Thanks for the news but we still have the ticket brokers to deal with because they do set the prices which are bogus

The one that used to really burn me up was ticketbastard used to charge us a buck or two to email us the tickets and they would mail them for free. I'm sure most people paid the annoyance fee, but the concept always really bothered me. Same with ticketmasters stupid fees for doing next to nothing. The % is way too high and they are a monopoly. I think stubhub (still part of ebay ??) also gets a nice free for not doing to much. I suppose Stub hub guarantees the ticket is authentic, which is worth something.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Grateful fredhead
Junior Boarder

#54179 3 years, 1 month ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
Grateful fredhead wrote:
scar1et_f1re wrote:
scar1et_f1re wrote:
nastero wrote:
scar1et_f1re wrote:
hows this for messed up? My buddy bought 4 tickets for Bono in NJ at $250 a ticket. His buddy backed out so he was stuck with 2 extra ticket. He tried desperately to sell them at and even below face, but no takers. So he put them up on stubhub as a last resort and sold them for about $500 each. He was not trying to scalp, but he was forced into it, at least per his version of the story.

Well, if he hadn't been able to sell them I would say whomever originally asked him to pick up the pair should have been on the hook for the cost. Also, while I don't know much about stubhub, I can't believe that there is a rule there that says you have to sell tickets for a profit, so him selling them for twice face is a bit greedy.

I don't know all the details, other than the other two were for his brother in law, and the person totally stiffed him (tole him to buy the tickets but apparently didn't realize it was $500 for the pair. My buddy may have been an opportunist once he put the tickets on stub hub.

I find it amazing that anybody would pay $250 a ticket. Apparently in a special place in Giants Stadium with tv's in the bathroom, a special closed bar and other nonsense not worth the extra $

I happened to meet my friend for lunch today and he told me he actually ended up "eating" the cost of the 2 tickets to see U2 - his choice. He told me he SHOULD have sold them for a mint on stubhub but he chose not to. He also confirmed you do get to name the price you charge on stub hub. He told me he once sold some Van Morrison tix on stubhub, but he asked for face + fees + a very small inconvenience fee just to sell them for a round price.

Just wanted to clarify (I passed along bad info in error b4).

Thanks for the news but we still have the ticket brokers to deal with because they do set the prices which are bogus

The one that used to really burn me up was ticketbastard used to charge us a buck or two to email us the tickets and they would mail them for free. I'm sure most people paid the annoyance fee, but the concept always really bothered me. Same with ticketmasters stupid fees for doing next to nothing. The % is way too high and they are a monopoly. I think stubhub (still part of ebay ??) also gets a nice free for not doing to much. I suppose Stub hub guarantees the ticket is authentic, which is worth something.

Yeah but that's not worth the prices they are charging
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#54207 3 years, 1 month ago
"sometimes/most time presale has only a limited number of ticks available loginto theticket site well beforestart ofsale and you should score some tickets i hope ya get them .your right i think it would be a great experience for a budding guitarist to see a great slinger like warren and how the crowd loves the players on stage might be the extra motivationhe needs to really practice hard "

for the last Furthur tour I was signed in on Frontgates site since like 8am and then when noon came I still got put in a "waiting line" for over 10 minutes. I e-mailed them and asked about it telling them how long I was logged in for and they told me it dosn't matter how early you log in and that the waiting line is designed to give everyone a fair chance, or some BS like that. They actually told me I might have a better chance if I log in right before the on sale - but I never heard of it working like that before.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#54404 3 years, 1 month ago
Bobby interview on how they try to keep the prices down and how they are trying to build a following....+ + + (interview from cnbc, a financially based site). Interview is more on the business side of things, they discuss taping, selling the soundboards, etc.

community.deadvids.com/video/bob-weir-interview-on-cnbc
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#54421 3 years, 1 month ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
Bobby interview on how they try to keep the prices down and how they are trying to build a following....+ + + (interview from cnbc, a financially based site). Interview is more on the business side of things, they discuss taping, selling the soundboards, etc.

community.deadvids.com/video/bob-weir-interview-on-cnbc

I like what he has to say about "the end of time" in 2012. I think he's read some Eckhart Tolle!!!
Without love day to day insanity's king
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds