• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Re: Black Throated Wind

#51493 3 years, 1 month ago
Chester wrote:
Yor both right. As is with every piece of art that's meaningful to you, it is open to interpretation. But I would suggest to
Scarlet F1re, I feel you might be over thinking it.

Thanks Chester, that is the understatement of the year. I have been drowning in this since I heard DSO play the song in Feb or March 2011. This one and comes a time can literally turn me to mush.

PS - I love your screen-name, I've been meaning to ask if it's from the line in the weight or your real name.

~Crazy Chester followed me and he caught me in the fog
He said I will fix your rack if you take Jack my dog
I said wait a minute Chester, you know I'm a peaceful man
He said that's OK boy, won't you feed him when you can
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#51601 3 years, 1 month ago
I'm still a bit confused with the line "you've done better by me than I've done by you". I know the common literal meaning is that Barlow / Weir realizes his wife has been better towards him than he was towards her.

Nevertheless, I still hear it as Barlow / Weir is saying: You (my wife) have done better because of what I have brought to the marriage than I have benefited because of what you have added to the marriage". The line before when he sings "have forced me to see" I think is building up to say, hey, I understand we're married so it is not an issue of keeping score who's the better person, but If I do think about it......."you've done better by me .."

I understand this interpretation may be in a minority view, but it's the way I hear the song. I think it's the way Bobby sings it (the emotion in his voice), and the entire story taken as a whole that makes me think this lyric is being used "backwards"...

I understand mine is probably a minority view, and likely wrong (if there is a correct way to interpret any dead song)

that's actually the way I took it when I first heard the song

----alright I think I figured the quote thing out ....... I just gotta copy/paste the who "xxxx wrote" .... or maybe I didn't figure it out but good enough
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by MushroomMan.
Chester
More or less in line

#51609 3 years, 1 month ago
As to the question of the origin of my user name, nothing mysterious, it's the last part of the city I live in. (Or near.)
It's not my real name. : )
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#51625 3 years, 1 month ago
Chester wrote:
As to the question of the origin of my user name, nothing mysterious, it's the last part of the city I live in. (Or near.)
It's not my real name. : )

May have 2 kids attending U of R soon. We enjoy camping on the Lake and SeaBreeze!!! The jack Rabbit
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
jbeach12078
Junior Boarder

#51641 3 years, 1 month ago
gotta love btw.................
Chester
More or less in line

#52042 3 years, 1 month ago
Here's an earlier version, for comparison.

I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Re: Black Throated Wind - what is the meaning?

#127758 2 years, 6 months ago
The gd channel played a show from 3-26-90 in Albany last night. With the alternate lyrics. Now I feel like my head is ready to explode. Just when I thought I had my hand around the song....bam... the bottom falls out.

Now I am fairly sure that "he" leaves "her" at the end of the updated version of BTW.

Was there a change somewhere? Is this really an updated version of the same song or a different version? (did the ending change or is it the same ending and just expressed differently / better / elaborated upon ?).

www.archive.org/details/gd1990-03-26.FM.....Keo.112093.Flac2496

heres a video from the show, but audio kind of sucks

FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

Re: Black Throated Wind - what is the meaning?

#127869 2 years, 6 months ago
according to "the complete annotated Grateful Dead lyrics" book the very last lines of the new lyrics are....

Ah, Mother American Night, come wrong or come right
I will always go onward in you

I recently heard the 3/16/90 version, which was the first one played since 74' which caught me by suprise a bit. 10/20/90 was the 4th time played since 74' and they were back to the original lyrics by then so there were only 3 shows at most with the new lyrics used. I haven't heard the version from 9/14/90 yet so I can't say for sure if it was 2 or 3 times...
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by MushroomMan.
bxorain
Senior Boarder

#128029 2 years, 6 months ago
Another sweet Bobby tune for sure! Right up there with Weather Report!
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds