• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Chester
More or less in line

Re: Black Throated Wind

#50729 3 years ago
guitargeorge wrote:
Chester wrote:
To "do good" by someone, means to treat them nice. With respect, friendship, or love. To say, "you've done better by me,
than I've done by you", means You've treated me with more respect, friendship, love, than I have treated you. That part
seems pretty straight forward to me.

You know I interpret that line differently...to mean that "you have benefited from this relationship more than I have"...so it is sort of the opposite of how you are interpreting it...hence the I'm going back home...

I'm sorry. I have to stick with my first impression. I've looked at it again, and keep coming back to the definition of "Doing good by sombody".
He left St. Louis, "In th midst of a storm, he'd rather forget." He then says, "I'd rather pretend it came to an end, 'Cause you wern't
the woman I thought I once met." The storm was a big fight, that made him want to leave. And in his pride, he decided she wasn't
the woman he thought he knew. But then goes on to admit doubts, and regret. The darkness of the road, being alone, not getting
a ride, forces him to deal with these thoughts. "Black Throated wind, keeps on pouring in." The night wont let him alone. His thoughts
turning back to the woman he left. "And it speaks of a life that passes like dew." Life is too short to not be happy, to experience love.
And that realization forces him to see, "You've done better by me, than I've done by you". He realizes more, of the futility of trying to run
from your pain. "You carry your pain wherever you go." He realizes what he has to do. "So I give you my eyes, and all of their lies."
That suggests he want her to take him back, with all of his problems. And asks forgiveness. "Please help them to learn, as well as to see."
"The black throated wind Keeps on pouring in, With it's words of a lie that could almost come true." More of a hopeful tone.
"Ah mother night, here comes the light." He's made a decision. The next line is the telling line. "I'm turning around, that's what I'm gonna do."
"Goin back home, that's what I'm gonna do." He finaly comes to the conclusion he has to go back to his love. "Cause you've done
better by me, than I've done by you." It's a typical story of a head strong man who left after a fight, convinced he was right, but
the road, the dark loneliness, and the night, made him realize his mistake. When he says he's going back home, that means to the
woman he left. Sorry if that's long winded. I truly love this song. It's a classic love story.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: arjanstar, guitargeorge, SunshineSue
maredwar
Junior Boarder

#50746 3 years ago
Great analysis. That has always been my interpretation, although I would not have been able to explain it as well as you did.
I did take the storm to mean he stormed off in the rain, but a fight makes more sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
arjanstar
Junior Boarder

#50756 3 years ago
maredwar wrote:
Great analysis. That has always been my interpretation, although I would not have been able to explain it as well as you did.
I did take the storm to mean he stormed off in the rain, but a fight makes more sense.

Probably both... a fight and then storming off in the rain! Very poetic!
Feel good music in your soul. Make your body want to Rock and Roll!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
devtmm
Junior Boarder

#50831 3 years ago
The road and life on the road is a metaphor for love / lost love....it is a great song and I loved it at Jones Beach this summer. It is becoming one of Furthur's strongest.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#50840 3 years ago
devtmm wrote:
The road and life on the road is a metaphor for love / lost love....it is a great song and I loved it at Jones Beach this summer. It is becoming one of Furthur's strongest.

I still can't fully understand the song -- it really messes with my head. Probably partially because like many dead songs it means what you want it to mean. I've read both Barlow and Hunter say that about their songs. Even the you've done better than me...I flip-flop on what is meant...depending upon how I feel. The one thing I know is Barlow wrote this while hitch hiking, so I'm not so sure he meant the the road to be a metaphor for love / lost love. At least in my mind, the road is more a metaphor for running away from a troubled relationship. But I may be wrong, this is just my thought.

From Wikipedia (and I have seen this elsewhere as well - I am drowning in this song ...metaphorically)

"Black-Throated Wind" is the second track from Bob Weir's solo debut Ace. The song was written by Weir and lyricist John Perry Barlow about the experiences Barlow had on a road trip from New York to San Francisco in 1971. Barlow has said that the experience was "right out of Easy Rider, [1] in that he was accosted by locals in the American South for having long hair.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#51005 3 years ago
"it is a great song and I loved it at Jones Beach this summer. It is becoming one of Furthur's strongest. "

Dear Mr. Fantasy>Black-Throated Wind was perfect at Jones Beach ... and then the Jack-A-Roe bust out right after....
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#51172 3 years ago
One of my all time favorite Bobby songs. Played it at the FBC ( into BEW set closer) on 2/11/11. Waiting for a version @ the Rocks next month.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by strangerinboulder.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#51446 3 years ago
I'm still a bit confused with the line "you've done better by me than I've done by you". I know the common literal meaning is that Barlow / Weir realizes his wife has been better towards him than he was towards her.

Nevertheless, I still hear it as Barlow / Weir is saying: You (my wife) have done better because of what I have brought to the marriage than I have benefited because of what you have added to the marriage". The line before when he sings "have forced me to see" I think is building up to say, hey, I understand we're married so it is not an issue of keeping score who's the better person, but If I do think about it......."you've done better by me .."

I understand this interpretation may be in a minority view, but it's the way I hear the song. I think it's the way Bobby sings it (the emotion in his voice), and the entire story taken as a whole that makes me think this lyric is being used "backwards"...

I understand mine is probably a minority view, and likely wrong (if there is a correct way to interpret any dead song)

here's a version from 1990 w/ alternate lyrics.

~Crippled but free, I was blind all the time I was learning to see
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
maredwar
Junior Boarder

#51482 3 years ago
I don't think there is any "wrong" way. The fact that they are open to so many interpretations is part of why we are able to listen to them repeatedly without getting tired of them.
I hear "you have treated me better then I have treated you" because that is what applies to my life. It could very well be the other way around.
Chester
More or less in line

#51486 3 years ago
Yor both right. As is with every piece of art that's meaningful to you, it is open to interpretation. But I would suggest to
Scarlet F1re, I feel you might be over thinking it.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds