• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
guitargeorge
Junior Boarder
Look at it right!

Re: Black Throated Wind

#50654 2 years, 11 months ago
I love BTW as well. When Bob gets the vocal build up right it just rocks.

I would like to see more discussion of Hunter and Barlow lyrics and there are several songs I'd like to hear what people's interpretations are.

One of the things about the lyrics that amazes me is that the words seem to work on different levels...from a more literal and personal meaning to a more cosmic and transpersonal meaning.

A lot of this could have to do with the state of consciousness I'm often in when hearing these songs.

I've been listening to these songs for 39 years and some of the lyrics I still don't get. I'll post about some of those in the future.

Back to BTW. The lyric that always stood out to me is this:

The black throated wind whispering sin,
And it speaks of a life that passes like dew
It forced me to see
That you've done better by me
Better by me than I've done by you

I agree with the other interpretations about being on the road hitchhiking and love gone wrong, but my interpretation of the verse above goes something like this: Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Barlow came from Utah and a Mormon background...so
"The black throated wind whispering sin,
And it speaks of a life that passes like dew"

is something about religion...preaching about sin and death and punishment in hell.

And then:
It forced me to see
That you've done better by me

Again how religion (in general, or perhaps specifically Mormonism) has benefited by controlling people through fear, without benefiting the believers.

And then the ending repetition and build up of

and

Going home, that's what I'm going to do

speak to me about breaking free of conditioning (social, religious, or whatever), going home a metaphor for returning to one's true home, not an address on earth...as in Franklins Tower..."May the four winds blow you safely home again." I don't think he is talking about your physical house.

For me it is interesting how these lyrics can have all these different meanings as each of us interprets them through our own unique cognitive filters.

I am not as familiar with Barlow's story as Hunter's, but from what I know is that early on Hunter took a lot of Alice D and once accidentally overdosed on a "thumbprint" size dose and also did DMT over a thousand times. These kinds of experiences are transforming and must have influenced his writing, even if he was completely sober later when writing.

Taken from the personal love song angle it would seem to say that the ex-lover had benefited from the relationship more than the teller of the story. Not sure that fits in with the earlier parts of the lyric which suggest mistakes on the part of the teller of the story, as others have suggested.

Now someone tell me what your take is on "Roll away the dew"

P.S. I'm going to see DSO tonight! Their first time in Alaska. The GD only played Alaska once in 1980.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#50659 2 years, 11 months ago
Here's my all time fave gd version I mentioned above.... I was about 10th row for this one ..better strap in! 6-14-91 RFK

Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by Walk in the Sunshine.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#50662 2 years, 11 months ago
Wow...hadn't watched it in awhile simply spectacular including a good bob spit around the 2:42 mark ....builds to a giant crescendo...............spine is still tingling

Oh & I attended this with my ex wife.....the "You done better by me than I done by you" line is sadly appropriate.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#50667 2 years, 11 months ago
Walk in the Sunshine wrote:
Wow...hadn't watched it in awhile simply spectacular including a good bob spit around the 2:42 mark ....builds to a giant crescendo...............spine is still tingling

Oh & I attended this with my ex wife.....the "You done better by me than I done by you" line is sadly appropriate.

Hey Walk (or anyone) - that part of the song also has me doing flip flops at time. " You've done better by me than I done by you" - you take that to mean you treated her better than she treated you, or vice versa?

I'm also still really stuck on the ending of the song: I'm turning around that's what I'm going to do
Going back home that's what I'm gonna do
: First I thought Barlow was saying that he's going back home to his wife, then I wondered if he was going back "home" which may be home away from his wife (Perhaps where he grew up --- or the real J. Barlow has several homes). The way the song goes, going back home to his wife seems a bit "off". Any thoughts here?
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#50675 2 years, 11 months ago
time. " You've done better by me than I done by you" - you take that to mean you treated her better than she treated you, or vice versa?

Vice Versa unfortunately............
<honest to a fault...
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#50702 2 years, 11 months ago
Walk in the Sunshine wrote:
time. " You've done better by me than I done by you" - you take that to mean you treated her better than she treated you, or vice versa?

Vice Versa unfortunately............
<honest to a fault...

sometimes I agree, but other times I take it to mean "you, my wife have done better (benefited) because of my actions more than I have benefited from your actions". I think you are right though.

The song definitely messes with my head. I was so psyched to have tracked down Barlow, but disappointment (and not surprised) he didn't answer my email. He's a local boy so I hope I will catch him via his twitter tweets.

It's amazing what a little stress in your life can do for you. I used to listen to this carefree. Then troubles with my wife really got my mind going... I became sickly obsessed with the dead -- couldn't go to the supermarket without the ipod. Every song meant so much.

Then that bloody line..... "You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know". Hit me like a shot in the gut. One of the most powerful lines from a gd song - in plain view but hidden from me for years. Cause I didn't want to learn what I didn't want to know.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Chester
More or less in line

#50704 2 years, 11 months ago
To "do good" by someone, means to treat them nice. With respect, friendship, or love. To say, "you've done better by me,
than I've done by you", means You've treated me with more respect, friendship, love, than I have treated you. That part
seems pretty straight forward to me.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
arjanstar
Junior Boarder

#50708 2 years, 11 months ago
Chester wrote:
To "do good" by someone, means to treat them nice. With respect, friendship, or love. To say, "you've done better by me,
than I've done by you", means You've treated me with more respect, friendship, love, than I have treated you. That part

That;s what I take it to mean as well. And what a kick in the ass when you realize that in a relationship too late!!!!
Feel good music in your soul. Make your body want to Rock and Roll!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
guitargeorge
Junior Boarder
Look at it right!

#50715 2 years, 11 months ago
Chester wrote:

You know I interpret that line differently...to mean that "you have benefited from this relationship more than I have"...so it is sort of the opposite of how you are interpreting it...hence the I'm going back home...
arjanstar
Junior Boarder

#50725 2 years, 11 months ago
guitargeorge wrote:
Chester wrote:

You know I interpret that line differently...to mean that "you have benefited from this relationship more than I have"...so it is sort of the opposite of how you are interpreting it...hence the I'm going back home...

That is so interesting.... That never even crossed my mind.
Feel good music in your soul. Make your body want to Rock and Roll!
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds