• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
deadahead
Junior Boarder
Music & Politics Don't Mix

Terrapin Crossroads - Early August Updates

#50114 3 years, 2 months ago
Early August 2011 Updates on Phil Lesh's Terrapin Landing aka Terrapin Crossroads:

Like one of the articles says, "Terrapin Crossroads: You Be The Judge"...

"Forty-six years of touring (including the most recent tour where his bus broke down), has left the Leshes with a desire to stay at home. With their younger son graduating from Princeton next year, it also seemed like a good time to create a venue where they can stay in one place and have family and friends come to visit – and play music! – without having to travel." -- As we've seen based on many, many comments by the Leshes, they are quite simply very tired of touring, which is understandable. The original venue name of Terrapin Landing really drove the point home: Landing, as in, done with touring, staying local, but not done with music. As for Furthur's fate - it was nice knowing you and we'll enjoy you until they pull your plug, which will by all appearances happen once Phil's venue is open, sometime by the summer of 2013, if the venue gets approved by the Fairfax town council.

“Fairfax just felt right,” said Jill. They considered West Marin, a building in Kentfield, and even a possible location at Marin Country Mart, but a site in Fairfax, where Phil lived for 13 years, was ideal. “[Fairfax] just strikes a chord with me because of the feeling of community and mutual respect,” said Phil. “A place like that makes the music better.” -- Yeah, all that and the fact that the proposed venue location is a mere two minutes down the road from the Lesh residence...

Interesting Terrapin Crossroads Details:

- Professional music performances (Phil Lesh & Friends, Phil's Ramble Band) -- PL&F and a new one, Phil's Ramble Band; note Furthur's absence
- The Barn will accommodate a Maximum of 500 people
- A maximum of 100 performances per year; 50-100 performances per year from 6PM - 12:30AM. "Shows would wrap up by 11:30 p.m", Jill Lesh said. -- 50-100 performances per year equates to an average of 1-2 performances per week
- All parking for events will be offsite
- No paper tickets will be sold at all and no tickets will be sold at the door; every ticket will be connected to a name and ID; you could be barred from ever buying tickets again
- Terrapin Crossroads plan to work with the police on a zero-tolerance policy for camping out, causing disturbances or vending. And there’s no way to get tickets at the door or scalp them
- IF the permit is approved by Fairfax Town Council, construction will begin in the summer of 2012 and be completed in the summer of 2013

Further reading is recommended for those interested in Terrapin Crossroads...

Source Documents / Full Articles:

Phil Lesh's Vision for Terrapin Crossroads, 8/11/2011: sananselmofairfax.patch.com/articles/phi...sroads#photo-7317539

You Be the Judge: Terrapin Crossroads, 8/9/2011: sananselmofairfax.patch.com/articles/you...ossroads#pdf-7317527
"The Grateful Dead," Jerry Garcia explained, "don't really take positions; we're musicians, not politicians."
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by deadahead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecojaded, LBDowling
furthurfeline
Junior Boarder

Re: Terrapin Crossroads - Early August Updates

#50139 3 years, 2 months ago
Thanks for posting. I sure hope to see a show there someday.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#50164 3 years, 2 months ago
Looks VERY promising.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#50197 3 years, 2 months ago
Equinox wrote:
Looks VERY promising.

Looks like I'm moving to Fairfax!
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#50256 3 years, 2 months ago
no more touring? that sucks.i understand but it still sucks the big one
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#50263 3 years, 2 months ago
I doubt he will completley leave the road.

he actually changed the name from "Terrapin Landing' to 'Terrapin Crossroads' because the former sounded to much like it was the end, and from the begining when Phil first mentioned it on here he said that he still planned to tour with Furthur and the venue was for his time at home.

I'm sure his time on the road will dwindle but I bet he keeps coming back around NY fairly often, if no where else
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#50272 3 years, 2 months ago
i read phil say somewhere that it would be a venue that they, the boys, could play at when they were home, and a venue other bands could play at when they, the boys, where out touring with furthur, or whomever.
THANKS PHIL!
this and Bobs TRI is the future of grateful dead music.
thank god they are putting their foot down about showing up without tickets, vending, etc.
that said i go to shows all the time without a ticket in hand, only if the show isnt sold out and i can buy one, and i sometimes sell stuff in the lot. but its aboout the music for me. i hope to see a show at TRI oneday.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#50340 3 years, 2 months ago
Thanks very much for clarifying that. The number of shows had me wondering about future tours too.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds