• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Any thoughts on seeing Dylan live this summer?

#49689 3 years, 2 months ago
I love Dylans music, IMO his lyrics are on par with Robert Hunter and in some ways even more powerful (listen to positively 4th street one day, wow - or highway 61 revisited).

I saw Dylan live once in the late '80's or early '90's, in a super intimate venue - Stony Brook University on Long Island NY. I though the show was awful and so did the others I spoke with. Bob was mumbling and the sound system sucked.

I also caught him about 4 shows when he played with the dead in the mid - later 1980's. I thought he was great there - both his set as well as the songs he played with the band. There were strange moments there - the guy is a flake (didn't bring a guitar on tour, wouldn't sing some songs, etc) - but it added a lot to the dead summer tour. I also know he goes through phases, and his musical style can turn on a dime.

I consider him a living legend, yet I haven't thought about seeing him live again.

I feel like I am funkin up not seeing him. Do you guys / gals have any thoughts? I'd really love to hear from people who've seen him whether they think he's a must see today.

PS - I love playing his song idiot wind whenever I get pissed at my other half. Been playing it way too much lately : )

<-- Audio Only

<-- recent version of highway 61 ...DOES NOT DO THE SONG JUSTICE

~I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
And just for that one moment
I could be you

Yes, I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
You'd know what a drag it is
To see you
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by scar1et_f1re.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: Any thoughts on seeing Dylan live this summer?

#49692 3 years, 2 months ago
Interesting question. I, too, love Dylan's lyrics and music. I think he's one of the best poets of any generation. His albums, especially Blood on the Tracks, were in frequent play on my turntable. But I have to admit that I actively avoided seeing him live, despite many opportunities to do so. I mean, I dug in my heels and refused to be dragged to a show! I think I heard so many stories about how bad his voice sounded live that I just never wanted to ruin the magic that the recorded music held for me. Then last December he came right to my town, to a great, small venue with perfect acoustics, and so I finally broke down and we went. WHAT A FABULOUS CONCERT!! He was great and shockingly animated, the band was top notch and the crowd was on its feet the entire show. Set list was very similar to the one MushroomMan saw at Jones Beach. Above all, I couldn't believe how "good" his voice sounded. It's still Dylan and he will never sound like a meadowlark, but it wasn't like the fingernails on a blackboard that I worried it would be, and the songs were wonderful and not at all ruined. I loved it!

Bottom line is that I was an idiot not to have seen him more over the years, and I don't think you'll be at all disappointed if you grab tickets to an upcoming show!
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#49693 3 years, 2 months ago
Thank you. Very much appreciated. I have also avoided him, not consciously, it's just been dead dead dead / furthur, otherones every season.....

Every recent youtube clip seems to show his voice is shot, but I suppose he never had a great voice to begin with.

I will make it my point to see him soon. He is the real deal. Time to fix things while I still have a chance.

~Wo-oh, what I want to know, where does the time go?
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#49697 3 years, 2 months ago
well , I think I'd like to see him again.
too bad I'm broke as a joke, Dylan throws a real nice little wing-ding
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#49704 3 years, 2 months ago
Catch him while you still can. I wouldn't follow him cause the setlists are pretty similar throughout the tour and even year to year. Recently I think he's been playing about 100 different songs per year which really is nothing compared to Bobby and Phil considering how many shows he does. If you want to hear studio Dylan then you may be disapointed but he's got a real tight band and he's been looking a lot better and more into his performance at shows recently. His voice is raspy, if you've heard any of his more recent albums (Together Through Life, Modern Times, Love and Theft) that is more what he sounds like today and he favors a good deal of his newer stuff at shows but I love all his newer material and so does he. He does play plenty of old songs though - you wont be disapointed in the selection. He's been playing a lot more harp and guitar recently and there have been a few bust outs on this tour as well - I definitly recomend checking him out if he comes around your area. He's usually got a good opening act as well....

1st time I went Elvis Costello opened up solo acoustic
2nd time Willie Nelson and John Melloncamp
3rd time solo at Foxwoods (real nice venue)
the most recent time (2 days ago) with Leon Russell
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#49773 3 years, 2 months ago
If you lived in the time of Shakespeare and you recognized how important he was, you'd want to see him as much as possible, right? That's why I've seen Bob over 30 times. And some of those shows have been absolutely fantastic.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#49782 3 years, 2 months ago
Dylan is one of my all-time favorites, but his shows are all over the map. i've seen great shows and really crappy ones. i last saw him in 2002 and it was fabulous. Dylan can still put on a good show, but in some ways he's on auto-pilot. he's gettin up in years and the sparks don't really seem to fly anymore. having Charlie Sexton back in the band, however, is a big plus.
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds