• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

Re: Day Job

#49472 3 years ago
i always thought it was a playful jab at the tourheads,it was a fun bouncy tune but did get overplayed as an encore for sure ,what i wodnt give to hear jerry sing it again live tho
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#49476 3 years ago
Furthur has not gone near this song. Nor did the GD after about 86 when the too cool for school crowd said it was played too much.

It was played a lot, especially too much as a let down encore after a blistering show....but whose complaining now?

I'm not one to start a petition, but I stand by this song. And repeat, it would blow the roof off, should Furthur play it. Especially as an encore...but the first of two.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FurthurFlower67
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#49481 3 years ago
I always thought this was Jerry and Hunter's stab at writing a Chuck Berry tune. Tongue-in-cheek lyrics, sly commentary on everyday life. Saw it a couple of times in the 80s and I thought it was amusing.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#49506 3 years ago
It reminds me when you got a good job do everything you to keep it cause you might not find another. I'm looking for job right now and im feeling hopeless. Don't drink and drive family. If I were at a concert I would rather here a different song than day job
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
maredwar
Junior Boarder

#49531 3 years ago
I always liked it. It was the encore at my first show and I don't remember hearing it very often. The older Heads I traveled with bitched about it for sure. It's similar in feel to "Might as Well" to me. The message is one I need to hear as I plug away at my job of 25 years I have learned to loathe but absolutely cannot give up.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#49560 3 years ago
There are certain songs that Jerry just loved to play, this is one of them. Very cheesy and I would prefer a Deal any day of the week.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#49563 3 years ago
"this song was dropped from the repertoire at the request of the fans, seriously..."-robert hunter

i don't mind it...straightforward, to the point, just like a lot of other encores

it'd be funny to hear furthur do it
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Chester
More or less in line

#49565 3 years ago
I think Jerry really liked playing it, as it was inspired by someone telling him, early on, don't quit your day job, when refering to
his attempt at a musical career. Jerry obviously had the last laugh on that one. : )
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#49566 3 years ago
It sounded good to me back in the day. It all sounded good. I never heard anyone complain until I started reading these boards a few years ago. Just a tune that never caught on enough to join the rotation permanently.
Chester
More or less in line

#49569 3 years ago
After checking my personal stats, I actualy ony saw it performed live once. 4/16/84. As an encore. They took it out of rotation
in 1986. For the record, I liked it. : )
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds