• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

It's a full moon for Bob Dylan tonight

#49119 3 years, 1 month ago
at Jones Beach

Probably dosn't mean anything but it should look nice anyway and certainly be a good show, Leon Russell opening

Anyone else going?
mountainjam28
Junior Boarder
Enjoying the ride...

Re: It's a full moon for Bob Dylan tonight

#49137 3 years, 1 month ago
I saw him the other night in Pennsylvania... Leon Russell was awesome! stole the show!
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#49179 3 years, 1 month ago
Be sure to report back when you can. I know you're going to love Leon Russell!! And, if I may say so without sounding too obnoxious, your knowledge of and appreciation for classic rock continually impresses me!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#49183 3 years, 1 month ago
I'll report back with a review for sure, when I get home about 3-4am. My brother saw Leon with my dad before back before I got into classic rock but it will be my first time.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#49214 3 years, 1 month ago
I'll be catching this pair at the Mann on Wed. Please let us know if Leon's playing an acoustic piano. Most times I've seen him it's some kind of electric rig and it just doesn't sound as good.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#49350 3 years, 1 month ago
It was electric but I thought it sounded great - I havn't heard the acoustic to compare though
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#49352 3 years, 1 month ago
If you want to hear what he can do with an acoustic, check out his early solo albums or Mad Dogs and Englishman by Joe Cocker. He's so subtle and so unique and that just gets lost with an electric instrument. Still great to see him, though.

Thanks for the report!
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#49354 3 years, 1 month ago
I love Jones Beach so much.... the roads suck on the way there, both quality wise and how many different freakin' highways we have to take but I'm used to it and it's more then worth the 2.5 hour trip. We went early to meet up with some guys we met at the Vibes but they ended up not coming. Early in the week it looked like rain but it turned out to be a great day with the exception of it being pretty cloudy. The parking lot was as empty as I've ever seen it and for the first time they checked my tickets while entering the parking lot to make sure I'm going to the show. Not as much of a breeze tonight either, does being cloudy effect the breeze at all?

Leon came on right on time, walking out slow with his cane and sitting right down but he jammed through the set non stop - one song into the other. he played all his classics and a bunch of covers that suprised me to including ..... Wild Horses, Walkin' Blues, Jumpin' Jack Flash. real tight band.

after a short intermission Dylan came on and played a solid set. The first couple times I saw him he played guitar for 2 or 3 songs then was on keyboards the rest of the night. Tonight and the time before tonight (november 2010, Foxwoods) he seemed a lot more into the performance and mixed up his playing a lot more. He started on the keyboards tonight, played guitar on a couple tunes throughout the night (Beyond Here Lies Nothing - Simple Twist of Fate) and then the harmonica on Tangled Up In Blue was great - he played harp on 1 or 2 other tunes. Ballad of a Thin Man had to be the highlight of the night for me but the Rolling Stone>Watchtower encore was nice. Bob was really into it tonight, having a great time - not looking so serious like usual. As he was leaving somebody says to me "great show, I havn't Dylan this frisky in years, he's getting better" and I have to agree. His vocals were sounding pretty darn good IMO but of course if you expect studio Dylan your in for a suprise. I dig all of his newer stuff (Love and Theft, Modern Times, Together Through Life) which is more of what the band sounds like today, even on the older tunes. The full moon wasn't visable until it broke through on "Beyond Here Lies Nothing" which seemed fitting. Show was over by 10:45 after Leon started at 8 but thats usual for Bob - 1.5 hour set.

While sitting in my good ol' 87 Toyota 4runner waiting for the lot to clear out, what do I see across the lot --- My freakin' truck, I spotted the thing a mile away and drove over to it ---- I said "hey nice truck man, where can I get me one of those" --- he was a real cool guy we talked about our trucks for a sec, he had a 86 and it was identical, the color, all the trim on it. That was real cool seeing that and driving down to meet the guy, he was pretty suprised himself.

Of course the night couldn't go without something going wrong .... I get home and I'm getting stuff out of my truck and then I go "wait a minute, where the hell is my poster" ..... I was convinced I left it behind but then I move my cooler and the fucking poster is crushed under it. It was in mint condition to, I got it at the end so I didn't have to roll it up or anything. What happened is, the cooler was behind my brothers seat and then I moved it behind mine during the ride. The poster was on my back seat but it was in that plastic sleeve so it slid right down on the floor where I threw my cooler. It sucks but its not to bad, it will flatten out decent ..... gives it a little character anyway and I got a little story to go with the few dents in it.

Great show all around, I can't wait to see Bob again. Looking at other setlists he dosn't really mix it up enough for me to follow him but I'll definitly catch a show each time around. I never look at any setlists before my show(s) and that goes for Dylan, Furthur and every band I see -- I strongly feel that it makes for a better experience not knowing what was played recently and having Everything be a suprise.

oh yea BTW you know it ....

trippyface.gif
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by MushroomMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Equinox
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#49359 3 years, 1 month ago
1. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
2. To Ramona
3. Things Have Changed
4. Tangled Up In Blue
5. Beyond Here Lies Nothin'
6. Mississippi
7. Ballad Of Hollis Brown
8. The Levee's Gonna Break
9. The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll
10. Highway 61 Revisited
11. Simple Twist Of Fate
12. Thunder On The Mountain
13. Ballad Of A Thin Man

(encore)
14. Like A Rolling Stone
15. All Along The Watchtower
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#49391 3 years, 1 month ago
So glad you had fun- thanks for the great review! I love Leon's version of Jumpin Jack Flash, as well or maybe even better than the Stones (sacrilege!).
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds