• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

BUILT TO LAST

#49091 3 years, 2 months ago
love this song...listening to a phil and friends version from 2001...www.archive.org/details/2001-07-21.paf.m...non.5053.sbeok.flacf whole show is pretty killer esp 2nd set

anyways...this built to last reminded me of phils birthday at the best buy this year after they did the 2nd side medley of abbey road built to last was the first song played...so fitting for the night,...phil truly is built to last...god bless
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

Re: BUILT TO LAST

#49126 3 years, 2 months ago
Sweet show man thanks, I hadn't heard that before
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#49190 3 years, 2 months ago
Built to Last

Black Muddy River

Believe it or Not

All instant classics for me on first listen.

Hunter/Garcia were hitting on all cylinders those years....especially on the "B" songs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruby_claire
intothesun
Visitor

#49249 3 years, 2 months ago
Phil and friends is better than furthur. Built to last is such a great great song !!
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#49250 3 years, 2 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
Built to Last

Black Muddy River

Believe it or Not

All instant classics for me on first listen.

Hunter/Garcia were hitting on all cylinders those years....especially on the "B" songs.

I completely agree. For all the Sambas, VOTCs and Corinnas, those three were, and are, real beauties! Foolish Heart perhaps, too, though it blows the alliteration. : )
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#49358 3 years, 2 months ago
"Phil and friends is better than furthur. Built to last is such a great great song !! "

That's all opinion, well besides Built To Last being a great song - that is def fact...

Phil's b-day at Best Buy was such a beutiful show, Built To Last really was perfect after ending Abbey Road which I remember everybody just like "wow, that'll never happen again". was a real treat for sure but it also seemed fitting at Bethel ...... as did Feel Like A Stranger to open (first time there since Woodstock) and of course Bird Song which was a great tribute to Janis....

these guys really do think about the setlists ..... I know they say Phil/Jill do half and Bobby the other half but really you gotta think Phil and Bob create some of these sets together ---- and I read somewhere recently that JK even has some input on what they play.
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by MushroomMan.
kfender
Gold Boarder

#49374 3 years, 2 months ago
The Bethel version caught me off guard,as it has rarely been played.I thought they did a great job with it.I had a great tape from 7/17/89 at Alpine.You can hear Jerry playing the first couple of notes then the whole band kick in.Really showed the band's ability to really fill up a tape as it were.A great example of how full their sound was.Also the funny line flub by Jerry "Don't save your breath to waste your face"Good stuff indeed
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#49394 3 years, 2 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
"Phil and friends is better than furthur. Built to last is such a great great song !! "

That's all opinion, well besides Built To Last being a great song - that is def fact...

Phil's b-day at Best Buy was such a beutiful show, Built To Last really was perfect after ending Abbey Road which I remember everybody just like "wow, that'll never happen again". was a real treat for sure but it also seemed fitting at Bethel ...... as did Feel Like A Stranger to open (first time there since Woodstock) and of course Bird Song which was a great tribute to Janis....

these guys really do think about the setlists ..... I know they say Phil/Jill do half and Bobby the other half but really you gotta think Phil and Bob create some of these sets together ---- and I read somewhere recently that JK even has some input on what they play.

phil and bob have both played at bethel woods before that furthur show

did not see earlier post
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by wlewis. Reason: did not see earlier post
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#49396 3 years, 2 months ago
Agree with you SunshineSue about Foolish Heart.....and of course Standing on the Moon

kfender wrote:
The Bethel version caught me off guard,as it has rarely been played.I thought they did a great job with it.I had a great tape from 7/17/89 at Alpine.You can hear Jerry playing the first couple of notes then the whole band kick in.Really showed the band's ability to really fill up a tape as it were.A great example of how full their sound was.Also the funny line flub by Jerry "Don't save your breath to waste your face"Good stuff indeed

Gone are the Days....but at least we've got some of them on YouTube

The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#49398 3 years, 2 months ago
intothesun wrote:
Phil and friends is better than furthur. Built to last is such a great great song !!

Respectfully disagree. Did you catch a show this tour? Bob and Phil together is better than anything they can do separately.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruby_claire, edheadwharfrat
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds