• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
arjanstar
Junior Boarder

Re: I'll admit it

#49666 2 years, 8 months ago
I think that new GD songs always took a little time to really form. The GD had a relationship to the crowd such that new songs needed to "marinate" a bit in the crowd's response. I believe we helped new songs take shape with our energetic input.... how we moved to it, how we felt it, etc. A great example of this is Foolish Heart. When it first came out, it wasn't nearly as beautiful as it became.

I never really liked Samba, but I would say that maybe it would have filled out more after time.
Feel good music in your soul. Make your body want to Rock and Roll!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , funky420, SunshineSue
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#49670 2 years, 8 months ago
arjanstar wrote:
I think that new GD songs always took a little time to really form. The GD had a relationship to the crowd such that new songs needed to "marinate" a bit in the crowd's response. I believe we helped new songs take shape with our energetic input.... how we moved to it, how we felt it, etc. A great example of this is Foolish Heart. When it first came out, it wasn't nearly as beautiful as it became.

I never really liked Samba, but I would say that maybe it would have filled out more after time.

i agree with you on this...many songs did take time to develop and it seems crowd energy/vibes had a lot to do with it...see the same thing the material furthur writes...people don't know it, takes a little time for people to catch on...mountain song is one that has...muli guli is one that has not...yet....
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
arjanstar
Junior Boarder

#49672 2 years, 8 months ago
I am not sure there is much hope for Mulli Gulli!!!
Feel good music in your soul. Make your body want to Rock and Roll!
intothesun
Visitor

#49676 2 years, 8 months ago
And as a guitarist, I think the solo Jerry did on Way 2 go Home is unbelievably awesome. It just ripps !! again songs like ll rain and jack straw were terrible when first played and then became better and better. It had more to do with the band, in these cases, Bobby , getting the structure of the music to where it should be properly played......had more to do with the members than the crowd "letting it marinate "....and accepting and vibing with it. Man you guys make deadheads sound like spoiled little brats...it needs to marinate and vibe good and settle in...I'm pleased and grateful with anything they play for the most part. I'm not a king and them the peasant musicians having to please me on a silver platter with only the best songs...gimme a break, really. I do agree with the foolish heart comment...that was part band/ fan input on evolving into a gem !
intothesun
Visitor

#49677 2 years, 8 months ago
taper.tsquare wrote:
if you like it, that's cool. but i'm with Sue on this one... "ick!!!" the new Furthur songs are generally much better than the "new" GD songs that were played in the mid 90s (with the exception of Days Between... i really liked that one). but Samba and Long Way to go Home were just horrible. i doubt that Furthur will ever play Samba or Long Way to Go Home (at least i hope not).

as for Baba O'Reilly, i really liked when the GD did it. Baba O'Reilly > Tomorrow Never Knows was a kick ass two song encore!

they were " just horrible"...mmmm somebody ate the brown sugar cubes. I hope furthur stops playing period and the greatest drummers in the world join with phil and bobby and are the GRATEFUL FUCKING DEAD again!!...further..."ick"!!!
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#49681 2 years, 8 months ago
arjanstar wrote:
I am not sure there is much hope for Mulli Gulli!!!

hahaha you are probably right...JK made a comment about how he wasn't sure what was up with it as far as ever coming back to rotation...it's almost too simple and straightforward for them to play i think..most of the other newer stuff is a little more complicated
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#49684 2 years, 8 months ago
Intothesun,

I love your perspective on things but you sound a little crazed sometimes:)

Samba was ok. It was in my catergory of decent dance numbers that would send me shuffling and jiving my way to and from the restroom in time to return to the marrow of the music.

Judging by the spike in numbers of people in the bathroom at those times, I wasn't the only one making that call.

A girl had to pee sometime, after all;)
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#49742 2 years, 8 months ago
I like Muli Guli, there def is hope for it if you don't like it. The crowd def liked the version I just heard - one of the only songs that the 3 of them all give a take on. Worth experimenting with IMO - and allthough Vince dosn't have my favorite voice, I still dig his songs.
intothesun
Visitor

#49744 2 years, 8 months ago
and when you were peeing....I was gettin down n dirty. I took my pee break during days between or lazy river road. Wow, what a daring thing to say, quite shocked at referring to Samba as a song to take a "pee break " to. Im sorry you see it that under rated to insult it to that degree. Geez. jk, i see where your comin from actually. The bathrroms were most likely empty then cause everyone was dancin....good strategy...dont think it will last . I'd love to hear jk and bobby jam Samba out. Eugene opener...SAMBA IN THE RAIN . ooooo.... WHEN YOU GONNA PEE NOW MOONDANCER??/? ( IM JUST KIDDING BY THE WAY)
yeah i think you may be right, i think i was a tad too passionate about the song ....looking back on all my input on this thread. I guess i showed my ass....pretty foolish for only a wonderful song. actually i think i love Billy's drumming and mickey's fill ins on samba the most. See you in the stall sister
intothesun
Visitor

#49749 2 years, 8 months ago

LOL
intothesun
Visitor

#49753 2 years, 8 months ago
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#49768 2 years, 8 months ago
intothesun: you're obviously very passionate about Samba and Long Way to Go Home, and that's good that you're not backing down from that stance. my strong dislike for both those songs is also uwaivering, but don't take it personally. once again, here is a topic that shows how we can have very different tastes and preferences but still love the same band.
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds