• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
we gonna stay here til we soothe our souls

Re: Noise vs Music

#48901 2 years, 8 months ago
people have been complaining about music from day one
there was once a time when waltzes were illegal because they were too wild !
folks who complain about " noise " haven't grasped the concepts of dissonance and anti-melody yet so they just can't understand phil and the boys
So, for the next one who complains about furthur being noise, play them ornette coleman's " the shape of jazz to come " or " free jazz "
that should really screw their head good and proper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
Chester
More or less in line

#48903 2 years, 8 months ago
I didn't get it at first. I went because a bunch of friends dragged me to a show. I liked it. The band definitely rocked. But I
wasn't "on the bus" for a few years. To me, it was a fun show, and a great party. It grew into someting much more for me.
And, yes, a lot of folks didn't get it. Why was I going to show after show? Wasn't one enough? No. Of course not. Some
people will never get it. That's ok. : )
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#48908 2 years, 8 months ago
I really got into the dead right after high school hanging with my friends and listening to tapes it amazed me how they could be playing one song and then trasition into a different song jamit and go back to the first song, it just really blew my mind(espeacially in an altered state of mind) so I was actually a huge fan before my first show.
The voices tell me what to say
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#48912 2 years, 8 months ago
They are certainly an acquired taste for sophisticated music lovers. I like that olive analogy a lot. Funny thing is I THINK I don't like olives, but I don't think I've actually ever tried them. Sure glad I was open minded about listening to the dead.

~Once iin a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
~Strangers Stopping Strangers, Just to Shake their hand.....
~What a Long, freakin Strange trip it's been
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#48916 2 years, 8 months ago
The whole is greater than the sum of all its parts. Thats how I describe the band. Ive been seeing them foir 28 years. Not as intensely since Jerry died, but whenever they are near i go. Once you get beyond any type of mind altering mystical experiece and just listen to them for the music, anyone who has any sense of taste for musical ability will recognize they are plain wonderful. I still miss the big guy's presence on that stage watching him weave the band to and fro.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
The following user(s) said Thank You: funky420
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#48917 2 years, 8 months ago
I've always wondered if you can really get on the bus --- really "get it" --- without indulging in any edibles.

I loved the music but I did not truly "get it" until I reached that strange state where the tie dies started moving and spinning. Clothing I once thought were silly were super intense, like the guys wearing trippy skirts.

Did it also take some edibles for you guys and gals to really see the light?

I have not touched anything like that since 1990 - but I have learned to put myself in a self induced state of ??? (Meditation -- probably is no correct word).

Now when I listen to the music, my body automatically starts spinning and dancing. I become one with the music, I don't think about anything yet my feet and body move. And they move in perfect harmony with the music and the other heads, so I know plenty of us "get it". In that state I phase in and out of reality, although I feel my mind is super sharp. I am also quite aware of what's going on around me... which is a panic (I love freaking people out --- they comment look at that guy tripping, and I just smile to let them know I am not out of my mind (I usually let them think what they want). It is sort of like tripping, obviously much more mild (I don't really lose my sense of reality). I do enjoy over indulging in smokables though.... that helps me. And generally no alcohol for me, I don't like the way I come down from that.

~ All that I want to know is are you kind??
~Can you pass the acid test?
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#48919 2 years, 8 months ago
[quote="scar1et_f1re" post=48917]I've always wondered if you can really get on the bus --- really "get it" --- without indulging in any edibles.

I loved the music but I did not truly "get it" until I reached that strange state where the tie dies started moving and spinning. Clothing I once thought were silly were super intense, like the guys wearing trippy skirts.

Did it also take some edibles for you guys and gals to really see the light?

I would say that maybe some edibles have helped me open my mind. I've never seen the Grateful Dead but every reincarnation of it, dead, phil, ratdog, rhythm devils, furthur . And I've never taken anything at those shows. I've always wanted my mind to be completely there! Never even had any alcohol at those shows. Just enjoyed the shows with some greenery
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#48930 2 years, 8 months ago
I guess I went in reverse order, and discovered the edibles before discovering the perfect musical experience to go with them. Though these days, I'd rather stay at home and indulge rather than be out and about, to be honest.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#48932 2 years, 8 months ago
the highway terror wrote:
So, for the next one who complains about furthur being noise, play them ornette coleman's " the shape of jazz to come " or " free jazz "
that should really screw their head good and proper

While it mystifies me how anyone could not consider the Dead music, I have to say I've got a lot more sympathy for someone who calls Ornette or some Coltrane or Sun Ra "noise". I love jazz, but I just don't enjoy what I call "squawky jazz"; I respect it and appreciate it for the skill it takes to play it, but it's sure not what I grab to put in the CD player.
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by SunshineSue.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#48951 2 years, 8 months ago
I've been into clasic rock since the begining of high school (2001-2002) and I always liked the Dead. For a while I was seeing every band I could but I liked to see bands with the most original members. For this reason I skipped out on Ratdog and Phil & Friends (P & F i never even seen) for a few years just because it was only 1 originalk member and I was iffy. Big mistake that was - seen Ratdog 8/20/08 and that got me right on the bus, the music was just so good I never saw anything else like it. Before then I never thought I'd see anything as good as David Gilmour at RCMH was, which was fantastic but the music of the Grateful Dead spoke to me like no other. The next Ratdog show in the area I brought my whole family to (11/9/08) which got my Mom hooked for sure. My dad enjoyed it but he's not quite 'on the bus' so I actually do see an 'inbetween' and not just being on or off the bus - I have a few friends like that to. My brother loves the music as well but I don't know if I would consider him 'on the bus' ..... if it wasn't for me taking him to all these shows I don't think he'd see nearly as many without me - he might rather see a bunch of different bands then just Dead incarnations all the time but ever since that Ratdog show I havn't been seeing to many other bands. My brother dosn't listen to it like me at home and stuff - its funny at shows sometimes the most popular songs like Terrapin or Wharf Rat will come on and he'll turn and ask me "what song is this?" but he's a great guy I love going to shows with him.

After 11/9/08 the next show near us was The Dead 4/26/09 which I took the whole family to again - oh and I forgot to mention my youngest brother who likes rap and basically just goes cause we can't leave him home, but I'm sure he likes all the pot smoking going on if nothing else, lol. After that was the Vibes 2009 with Ratdog and then nothing until Furthur came to the Oakdale 12/11/09. Before we went to that show, the whole winter tour went onsale which I bought tickets for 3 shows, both RCMH shows 2/23-24/10 and 2/26 Moheagan sun. I have to admit I was a little iffy getting those 3 shows having not seen Furthur yet but after the Oakdale show I was sooo happy that I got them. This is when I really started getting into it more and more, allthough I'm still mad at myself for not seeing more summer 2010 shows, I only caught 2. By this time I decided I'm going to anything within 2-3 hours of me (though I skipped the 3 Boston shows this year that opened the spring tour - mad at myself for that one to) but right now I'm set to go as far as my money will allow me to regardless of distance. A year ago I didn't think I would ever actually go 'on tour' but now I can't wait until I have enough money to....

As far as 'edibles' go, I first did some pure MDA at Worcester 11/19/10 and that was such a special, and amazing experience, I also did it on 11/21 and some shrooms on 11/20. Its all fun as long as you don't over due it, as I found out this summer you really can't get into the music if your on to much of anything. I think 3-4 grams of mushrooms is just right for shows, which I really don't need at all. I almost didn't do them in Mansfield (after SPAC and Jones Beach super doses) but they really keep me awake once they wear off for the ride home and everything plus I hate taking caffine pills and getting all jittery just to stay awake. A small dose like that dosn't take anything away from the experience, for me it adds to it but everyone is different. I use to just smoke at shows but even with how much I love the music, I would always feel tired during and especially after the shows and not just from the pot either - the whole ride out to the show and everything and I feel that being tired like that actually takes away from the whole experience a little. Mushrooms are perfect for shows (for me anyway) but from now on I save the big doses for home
Time to create page: 0.58 seconds