• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: Noise vs Music

#48803 3 years ago
same thing happened to me as keith mentioned above except 20 years later...walked in knowing nothing but what i heard from albums and some CRAPPY tapes from a friend of a friend...i walked out knowing i had just found what i was looking for in life...

i have connected with very few true deadheads in my life, other than touring.....to everyone else it's "stoner music" or "boring" "too slow" "who are these freaks" "you're crazy" "it all sounds the same"

my family has never understood...but i will never forget when my parents finally accepted the fact i was going to continue traveling around the country digging it as much as i could...went from "jesus not again, what is wrong with you, you need to straighten out, get a job etc" to "where ya goin this time?" or "do you need any coolers or chairs or anything?"

most friends are either kinda into it or not at all...not enough to tour around outside 3 night northeast stands...eventually i found friends on the road touring around solo, doing the exact same thing i was doing

the grateful dead the other ones the dead phil lesh and friends ratdog furthur and any other incarnation you can think of will always be a large part of my life...their music and community have shaped me into the person that i am, and i am forever grateful for that and the experiences and friends it has provided me with, and many more to come! noise my ass.....
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: iamthedoor, DeadHead420, SunshineSue, doin_that_rag
Chuck_Woolery
Visitor

#48808 3 years ago
Never top u hit it right on the head... that feeling when you get back to your car and your goin down the road with a great show cranked up... you are in a special place... you are tuned in to the sound... leaving the first nite of shoreline 6/3 I was at a light cranking an awesome, wide open version of Stranger waving at all the heads crossing and boy I have never appreciated my stereo more. I'll remember that moment as crystal clear as the high points from every song at a show.

Real music. Nuthin' but.
Chuck_Woolery
Visitor

#48810 3 years ago
Damn autocorrect.. never top =neverstop.
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#48826 3 years ago
wlewis wrote:
same thing happened to me as keith mentioned above except 20 years later...walked in knowing nothing but what i heard from albums and some CRAPPY tapes from a friend of a friend...i walked out knowing i had just found what i was looking for in life...

i have connected with very few true deadheads in my life, other than touring.....to everyone else it's "stoner music" or "boring" "too slow" "who are these freaks" "you're crazy" "it all sounds the same"

my family has never understood...but i will never forget when my parents finally accepted the fact i was going to continue traveling around the country digging it as much as i could...went from "jesus not again, what is wrong with you, you need to straighten out, get a job etc" to "where ya goin this time?" or "do you need any coolers or chairs or anything?"

most friends are either kinda into it or not at all...not enough to tour around outside 3 night northeast stands...eventually i found friends on the road touring around solo, doing the exact same thing i was doing

the grateful dead the other ones the dead phil lesh and friends ratdog furthur and any other incarnation you can think of will always be a large part of my life...their music and community have shaped me into the person that i am, and i am forever grateful for that and the experiences and friends it has provided me with, and many more to come! noise my ass.....

Amen brother!
I actually tried to get in to the Dead for a while, listening to albums and stuff but didn't get it until i first heard em bust out Viola Lee at the Forum in 09. I walked out of that venue with a whole new lease on life. Grateful doesn't even describe how i feel for this band and the people behind it!
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#48862 3 years ago
I like to laugh about this time I was at work rocking some 77 GD and this dude comes over to my desk and says "what is that you're listening to man? That's some nice sounding shit" I tell him "that's the Grateful Dead" He looks at me and says "Oh, I never liked that drug music". LOL....so the guy likes the music until he knows it's the GD and now suddenly he doesn't anymore. Strange thing about it is we were at work so I certainly wasn't walking around trying to dose people, i was just listening to music. Anyway....I just told the guy "ok, that's cool" and went about my business. As everyone keeps mentioning....YOU EITHER GET IT or YOU DON"T GET IT
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
Grateful fredhead
Junior Boarder

#48867 3 years ago
The Dead are like olives you ever love them or hate them
I love them
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

#48881 3 years ago
I hate olives, but I LOVE The Dead!!

My first experience was going to Albany in 1993. I didn't know much about the Grateful Dead. I was only able to name 1 member of the band, and maybe 3 songs. 5 of us drove to Albany from Montreal, and only one of us had ever seen the Dead before, and we were going on his urging. We didn't have tickets, but we figured it would be easy to pick up tix outside the Knick. We ended up buying counterfeit tickets, bunk acid and shitty weed. We didnt get into the show and you would think that the whole experience would have turned us amateurs off the Dead completely. We ended up having an awesome time just hanging out with all the hippie freaks (as we thought of them back then) and the whole experience was really life changing (as I have not been the same person since).
We ended up doing things the right way for summer tour. We mail-ordered for Buffalo tix, and this time I got to see the show. I still wasn't too up to speed on the music, but I still remember being on the floor of Rich stadium and looking up around me and just being in awe at how 80000 people were all moving to the music like it was one organism. I think that's when I became hooked.
I consider myself very lucky to have gotten on the bus when I did. Not only did I get to see Jerry 11 times before he checked out, but being a "deadhead" has given me a sense of values and community I might not have had at this point of my life, had I taken the other fork in the road back in 1993.

Thanks for reading, and thank you to everyone who has helped perpetuate and continue this community and allowed it to thrive.
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, DeadHead420, scar1et_f1re, FurthurFlower67
DeadHead420
Platinum Boarder
More negative karma please =-)

#48883 3 years ago
StuartSlate wrote:
DeadHead420 wrote:
I consider most of the music that other people listen to as jus noise....

Wow, that is a harsh and sweeping judgement. You are entitled to your opinion.

hahahaha jus an opinion. lol. And im not talkin bout actual music.The "most" im talkin bout crap like bustin caps in your ass rap, n techno n stuff. I mean.....you cant argue that that isnt crap.hahahaha. Well, maybe you could hahaha, but i shall argue the point. hahahaha. Theres music i think is horrible but i still acknowledge it as music .Buuuut imo most of what i hear others listenin to on a daily basis is all gibberish. This platypus for one doesnt care bout "apple bottom jeans n boots with the furs"....or ghostridin the whip...or any other ghettho crap. Now that said there is oldschool rap that actually has some musicality to it. But these days... ahahahahaha and was mainly referring to all my neighbors. Woke up yesterday morn to GET THIS....Who let the dogs out by the baha men or whatever their name is.......NOT music.lmao. And your right that was kinda harsh n sweeping. Should have specified. =-)
Last Edit: 3 years ago by DeadHead420.
The following user(s) said Thank You: doin_that_rag
StuartSlate
Expert Boarder

#48889 3 years ago
DeadHead420 wrote:
StuartSlate wrote:
DeadHead420 wrote:
I consider most of the music that other people listen to as jus noise....

Wow, that is a harsh and sweeping judgement. You are entitled to your opinion.

hahahaha jus an opinion. lol. And im not talkin bout actual music.The "most" im talkin bout crap like bustin caps in your ass rap, n techno n stuff. I mean.....you cant argue that that isnt crap.hahahaha. Well, maybe you could hahaha, but i shall argue the point. hahahaha. Theres music i think is horrible but i still acknowledge it as music .Buuuut imo most of what i hear others listenin to on a daily basis is all gibberish. This platypus for one doesnt care bout "apple bottom jeans n boots with the furs"....or ghostridin the whip...or any other ghettho crap. Now that said there is oldschool rap that actually has some musicality to it. But these days... ahahahahaha and was mainly referring to all my neighbors. Woke up yesterday morn to GET THIS....Who let the dogs out by the baha men or whatever their name is.......NOT music.lmao. And your right that was kinda harsh n sweeping. Should have specified. =-)

You bet. I am not criticizing you - BTW. I was just surprised that you'd make such a broad generalization about what 'most' people listen to. I admire your ability to express yourself. If I thought you were a simpleton or a putz I'd just ignore you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
BrewCat
Fresh Boarder

#48900 3 years ago
We used to hang out with a guy when we were teenagers and he would get so annoyed when we'd be cruising around with an extended live Dead jam playing in the car. He'd say something like, "If we have to listen to the Dead, can't you at least play something that sounds like a song!" He was into stuff like Little Feat and the Dixie Dregs at the time so you's think he would have gotten it, but he never did.
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds